Carnivore Diet: The Antithesis to Veganism

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Here in beef country (Texas) I can get a 3lb roll of 80/20 ground chuck for $10.50 regular price. 73/27 is about $1 cheaper than that. Steak costs more, but I can still get top sirloin for $8 a pound.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Going carnivore is a pretty big bounce from your last idea of going fruitarian. Carnivore would be marginally safer than fruitarian, but it would still require you to carefully plan your diet to get certain micronutrients in sufficient amounts. It will also tend to be more expensive if you don't get larger primal cuts or whole carcass meats.

I'm not sure why extreme edge case diets appeal to you, but you should research them very carefully and perhaps consult a registered dietician before embarking on one.

I'd say carnivore is MUCH safer than fruitarian. There are not nutrients lacking in a carnivore diet, and the vitamins that are lower in meat (like only 10mg vit. c in 1 or 2 lbs beef) seem to be needed in much lower amounts if not eating carbs. No supplementation is needed. If worried, one can always eat ofal.

As to cost, it depends on what you eat. If I eat a couple of pounds of beef a day, the cost is around $8 Cdn. a day.

Curious as to what kind of beef you're getting 2lbs of for $8 Cdn?

We're on a budget, so not top of the line. I eat a lot of ground beef. Buy roasts on sale and slice them into steaks or chops. When meat goes on sale, my grocery cart is pretty full.

I tend not to just eat beef in a day. There's eggs, pork, chicken, cans of tuna or mussels. I'll eat processed meats like smokies too. I will often have cheese too. None are higher quality, grass fed, organic... Or even have a name brand. LOL

I try to get our beef from farms in our province. That cuts costs too.

To me, meat doesn't seem that expensive but that's probably because I am a celiac. GF foods are usually more expensive. Bread, noodles, muffins are all double to triple the price of normal products. I can't honestly say that I noticed our grocery bill going up.
  • ScorpioL1GHT
    ScorpioL1GHT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned this yet, but my biggest concern with this way of eating is the risk of cancer. From what I understand the research done on meat consumption as a risk to cancer is somewhat skewed because those studies are done on people who follow an omnivorous diet or the standard american diet. So how can we be sure increasing meat is the cause? What if it is the heavily processed and sugary foods people eat on a daily basis that results in this?

Is there any studies that anybody can direct me to that give clear evidence that more meat = more risk of cancer?

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned this yet, but my biggest concern with this way of eating is the risk of cancer. From what I understand the research done on meat consumption as a risk to cancer is somewhat skewed because those studies are done on people who follow an omnivorous diet or the standard american diet. So how can we be sure increasing meat is the cause? What if it is the heavily processed and sugary foods people eat on a daily basis that results in this?

Is there any studies that anybody can direct me to that give clear evidence that more meat = more risk of cancer?

In terms of carnivore, it's more along the lines of "does ONLY animal products = more risk of cancer" rather than does "MORE meat = more risk of cancer". KWIM?

For all animal products, I've seen nothing. I haven't seen anything proving more meat does either, actually. Processed meat appears to raise risks somewhat.
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Nvmomketo. I am interested to know if you still follow the carnivore way of eating. I embarked on this way of eating just over a month ago. I find I really like it. I thought it would be very boring but I actually like the simplicity of it and the fact that I eat fewer times during the day ( only once or twice /day) without suffering from hunger.
    I eat frozen and canned fish, eggs, ground meat, very occasionally steaks, chicken and turkey, some organ meat (kidneys, liver, heart, and sweetbreads), a little bit of dairy and drink mostly water but also some bone broth.
    I wouldn’t say I’ve lost a huge amount of weight but haven’t gained either and due to a back injury I’ve been very sedentary by necessity.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    cathyL11 wrote: »
    Nvmomketo. I am interested to know if you still follow the carnivore way of eating. I embarked on this way of eating just over a month ago. I find I really like it. I thought it would be very boring but I actually like the simplicity of it and the fact that I eat fewer times during the day ( only once or twice /day) without suffering from hunger.
    I eat frozen and canned fish, eggs, ground meat, very occasionally steaks, chicken and turkey, some organ meat (kidneys, liver, heart, and sweetbreads), a little bit of dairy and drink mostly water but also some bone broth.
    I wouldn’t say I’ve lost a huge amount of weight but haven’t gained either and due to a back injury I’ve been very sedentary by necessity.

@cathyL11 yes, I still follow a mostly follow a carnivore diet. I am not a 100% all animal products though. I still have coffee and stevia, and the protein powder I use has some flax meal in it. I do eat plants on occasion. Lately it has been a bit more frequent. For example, yesterday I added an avocado to my bowl of taco meat, cheese and sour cream. Last Friday, I had a few pieces of broccoli with some dip. This is a bit more often than ideal. I find I get a bit hungrier and a bit less energetic.

Near Halloween I had some candy. It appears to have caused an arthritis flare up that lasted over a week, and my energy took quite a dip. It was a bad idea for me. Lol

I am at a normal weight and still losing very slowing - maybe half a pound a week. I don't count calories or try to lose, so this is a bonus for me.

There is still a very small number of carnivores in the Low Carber Daily and Keto groups. There is a Lower Carber Carnivore group too. For more support, there are some active FB groups, although some are strict, and someone like me who is just mostly carnivore does not fit as well. In the Ketogenic Forums community, by 2 Keto dudes, there is a carnivore sub group too.

It really is a simple diet. If I did not have to feed my family too, cooking would be sooooo easy. Lol

I hope your back is feeling better soon. Hopefully the lower inflammation and protein help with hurrying healing along.