Tried IE, Back To Tracking - Crunch Time

Options
2»

Replies

• notarunnermfp
    notarunnermfp Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OP have you considered trying a more flexible way of tracking? I've tried macro counting and it can get tedious, but I know IE would not work for me either.
    I prefer to just have a calorie and protein goal. As long as I am hitting a fat minimum (which has never been a problem for me) I am not really concerned about specific carb/fat goals.
    Calorie banking can also be a nice flexibility tool. If I am not as hungry certain days, or I know I have something coming up when I want to splurge a bit more, I save a few hundred calories.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like food. Pretty much all food, so IE doesn't work great for me.

Counting calories and such works - until I'm on the road every weekend for months on end, at which point in time it fails completely and miserably.

I've been very frustrated trying to find something that works for me, my lifestyle, my desires, and my schedule.

I know it's a fad right now, but I'm giving IF a try. Mostly a variation on the "warrior IF" as that is pretty easy and fits fairly well into what I kind of already do. Too early to tell if it will work or not, but it seems a lot more sustainable than other things I've tried. I know other things work but sustainability and something I can do no matter where I am or where I'm eating is pretty important.

I hear ya. I think the sustainability factor is crucial. And ya I hear ya on trying to find something that fits your lifestyles and helps you keep aligned with your goals.
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    Since it's not made yet, why not just make it to your current size, and then take it in if you lose weight? I sew, and taking things in is easy. She should be able to handle it easily, and wouldn't want her daughter to resort to poor behaviors to force herself into a certain size.

Yah, we are holding off as long as possible. Problem being I feel if I don’t really get my weight under control, i’ll keep gaining and she’ll sew and then day of wedding it won’t zip. I realize there’s an element here of me overreacting but unfortunately these are real fears for me that I feel only engaging in these behaviors will help. I appreciate your suggestions and kind words and know that after the wedding I really need to get help and work through this because it just feels like it’s snowballing. ❤️
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    Undereating and overexcercising will backfire. It often leads to binging and sometimes leaves one heavier than before by the time one can break the cycle. I hope you can find the patience to work out a healthy, sustainable plan. Your fiancé loves you as you are, and both yours and his happiness on your wedding day is what matters. Best of luck and congratulations!!

Thanks so much! I know, I’ve gone this route before and binges did occur. It’s almost like I think “oh this time will be different”. I keep telling myself to go ham for these 2 months and then find a balance / healthy way to maintain :/ appreciate the well wishes though!! :)

I’m exactly the same way! I’ve struggled with bulimia and anorexia in the past and when I reached my breaking point I was able to achieve a healthy weight and maintain it for about a year before I tried “eating intuitively.” Which led to 50 extra pounds, which led me back here. I’ve lost the extra pounds and I’m now a healthy weight for my height but I’m still trying to lose about 10 more (I’ll still be a healthy weight.) It’s really very scary trusting that you can eat to the number MFP gives you and still lose weight. I’ve been maintaining my weight since about January, because I’ve been stubbornly trying to stick to too big of a deficit. I’m telling you, it does. Not. Work. So just a couple of weeks ago I had to really commit myself to at least TRYING to stick to the net calories MFP gave me to lose. I was so terrified I would gain but it’s been life-changing. I’m not starving all the time, I’m not (as) anxious about food, and I’m losing more steadily than I have been these last 6 months. It’s HARD, I mean really hard, to let go of dieting extremes since I’ve always had that go hard or go home attitude toward my diet and fitness. This is the first time I’ve ever tried a moderate approach to losing weight and I promise you it is so much better physically, mentally, emotionally, everything. If you can stick to an extreme diet/workout regimen for the next two months, especially with the stress of wedding planning, and then maintain whatever progress you’ve made, I admire your willpower. However, if you just try a more moderate approach I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. This was super long, but you sound very similar to me in my diet/exercise mindset so I wanted to share my experience with you. Hope it helps!

ETA: I was binging just about every weekend because of restricting too much during the week, hence the 6 months of maintenance when I was wanting to lose.

thank you so much for your comment! i completely understand what you’re saying and it’s helpful to hear from someone who also feels that fear of not living black or white because it’s all i know. it’s hopeful to know that it’s possible but i know it’ll require a lot of work on my part. i really appreciate your feedback and happy to hear you have found a place of peace! :)
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    OP have you considered trying a more flexible way of tracking? I've tried macro counting and it can get tedious, but I know IE would not work for me either.
    I prefer to just have a calorie and protein goal. As long as I am hitting a fat minimum (which has never been a problem for me) I am not really concerned about specific carb/fat goals.
    Calorie banking can also be a nice flexibility tool. If I am not as hungry certain days, or I know I have something coming up when I want to splurge a bit more, I save a few hundred calories.

I have heard of this and I definitely think this could be a good transition tool for me when I stop tracking. Yah I want to do the banking thing but my obsessive tendencies overpower and i eat what I planned for the day so I can be sure to hit each macro as perfect as possible. Thank you for these sugggestions though. I think these would be super helpful to implement in some capacity.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Maybe prelogging your day would help if you feel like you get obsessive with calorie counting (or if you’re just tired of calorie counting in general). Then, you only really have to think about calories once a day while you’re planning what to eat. Also, diet breaks (where you eat at maintenance for 2 weeks) might be something to consider in the future. I find it a great help mentally for me!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Wtat's IE?
    I intuitively eat like a hobbit

I've been saying that for years. I even have changed the names of my meals on MFP to: Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, and Soupsies. I left a couple of Hobbit meals out, but that's me for the most part.

:lol: So have I!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a hard time with this as well. A few weeks ago or a month ago or so I decided to stop logging and I gained a little bit of weight since then. Logging every calorie sucks my soul and I hate it but if I don't, then I just eat and eat and eat. It's so annoying. For now I am trying to be really loose with my logging just to get a general idea of how much I'm eating for breakfast lunch and snacks (up until dinner time basically) and then I know how many calories roughly I have left for dinner and possibly a bedtime snack. I may or may not log those. I believe this may work for me because I think my downfall is all the random snacking that I do and eating things just because it's there.
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    Maybe prelogging your day would help if you feel like you get obsessive with calorie counting (or if you’re just tired of calorie counting in general). Then, you only really have to think about calories once a day while you’re planning what to eat. Also, diet breaks (where you eat at maintenance for 2 weeks) might be something to consider in the future. I find it a great help mentally for me!

yah i actually prelog my meals for the entire week. unfortunately it doesn’t seem to help with the obsessiveness. and logging on the fly just gives me anxiety :( but yes definitely going to incorporate diet breaks. looking forward to that! :)
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I have a hard time with this as well. A few weeks ago or a month ago or so I decided to stop logging and I gained a little bit of weight since then. Logging every calorie sucks my soul and I hate it but if I don't, then I just eat and eat and eat. It's so annoying. For now I am trying to be really loose with my logging just to get a general idea of how much I'm eating for breakfast lunch and snacks (up until dinner time basically) and then I know how many calories roughly I have left for dinner and possibly a bedtime snack. I may or may not log those. I believe this may work for me because I think my downfall is all the random snacking that I do and eating things just because it's there.

sorry you struggle with this too. yeah it’s so annoying i don’t want to log the rest of my life but i also don’t want to gain all this weight. loose tracking does seem like a good idea. hope that works out for you :)!