Starting Lyle McDonald's Ultimatte Diet 2.0 question

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 I would like to add while I don't know anything about this diet, if your currently doing keto, you will not likely get six pack abs. This is because your muscle glycogen is depleted and you will lack a "pump" you get from carbs and exercise. I really think you would benefit from carbs if you want to see more definition in your muscles as carbs will bring water into your muscles. (But weight may go up)

I have been thinking - after getting SUPER pumped about this - that it might not be the best idea for me, @moogie_fit!

Last week I did a test and ate a box of cereal (yes, the whole freaking box!) and things did not go so well for me. I am doing Keto because of high A1C and carbs affect me a little bit differently from the way they do most people. Sucks to be me (well, pretty much only in this context!).

But, come heck or high water I am going to be doing something come August 1. I have not abondoned this idea completely (of doing the UD2.0).....just re-thinking it.

But, concept is still very much alive. The vehicle is the only thing - potentially - that will change.

If you want to do something extreme, but don't think the UD works for you due to all the carbs why not consider the RFL?

Im doing it in blocks: 2 weeks on, with one refeed/free meal in the middle, then a 1 week break....I've nearly finished the first "block" and didn't find the first 2 weeks overly painful

That is exactly what i was thinking too.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 I would like to add while I don't know anything about this diet, if your currently doing keto, you will not likely get six pack abs. This is because your muscle glycogen is depleted and you will lack a "pump" you get from carbs and exercise. I really think you would benefit from carbs if you want to see more definition in your muscles as carbs will bring water into your muscles. (But weight may go up)

I have been thinking - after getting SUPER pumped about this - that it might not be the best idea for me, @moogie_fit!

Last week I did a test and ate a box of cereal (yes, the whole freaking box!) and things did not go so well for me. I am doing Keto because of high A1C and carbs affect me a little bit differently from the way they do most people. Sucks to be me (well, pretty much only in this context!).

But, come heck or high water I am going to be doing something come August 1. I have not abondoned this idea completely (of doing the UD2.0).....just re-thinking it.

But, concept is still very much alive. The vehicle is the only thing - potentially - that will change.

If you want to do something extreme, but don't think the UD works for you due to all the carbs why not consider the RFL?

Im doing it in blocks: 2 weeks on, with one refeed/free meal in the middle, then a 1 week break....I've nearly finished the first "block" and didn't find the first 2 weeks overly painful

Honestly, that has been sounding more and more interesting the more I look at it. And.....I am past the "let's get hyped" point and actually using my brain (the reason side)...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

Honestly, that has been sounding more and more interesting the more I look at it. And.....I am past the "let's get hyped" point and actually using my brain (the reason side)...

I wouldn't be that excited... Its even more crazy than UD2.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    psuLemon wrote: »

Ha! I really like "crazy, bat s**t" stuff! Not people....stuff! The guy from powerliftingtowin.com did a RFL regime and he seemed to really like it. I follow him and have a lot of respect for him...so, he was quite positive. I am going to sleep on it and will very likely decide tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone! It is nice to know that others are thinking the same thing that I am. :-)
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member

Ha! I really like "crazy, bat s**t" stuff! Not people....stuff! The guy from powerliftingtowin.com did a RFL regime and he seemed to really like it. I follow him and have a lot of respect for him...so, he was quite positive. I am going to sleep on it and will very likely decide tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone! It is nice to know that others are thinking the same thing that I am. :-)

I did RFL. I leaned out. It kinda sucked but wasn't terrible. I just ate the same thing every day. I took the EC stacks and tons of fish oil too.

Honestly the weight came back on but I'm an idiot so, maybe you'll have better luck.

I like experiments as well though. I don't regret it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    rose2_0 wrote: »

I did RFL. I leaned out. It kinda sucked but wasn't terrible. I just ate the same thing every day. I took the EC stacks and tons of fish oil too.

Honestly the weight came back on but I'm an idiot so, maybe you'll have better luck.

Thank you, @rose2_0! Now, please don't call yourself an idiot. You might do idiotic things.....I would not argue there! LOL!

What is the diet plan like? Generally speaking?
  • rose2_0

Thank you, @rose2_0! Now, please don't call yourself an idiot. You might do idiotic things.....I would not argue there! LOL!

Read the book.

It's protein. All protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2018

Protein. Minimal everything else. I ate salmon once a day instead of taking fish oil and lean protein the rest of the time with a small amount of greens (miniscule amount for me)

My husband does my skinfolds and I lost 21mm (over 9 sites) in 2 weeks. My weight has gone up a little this week (maintenance cals with lots more carbs though) and will find out how the mm's go on Sunday.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Yes, ma'am! It is indeed a Protein Sparing Modified Diet! I will be buying it soon! Assuming that this is what I decide to do!
  • rose2_0

Protein. Minimal everything else. I ate salmon once a day instead of taking fish oil and lean protein the rest of the time with a small amount of greens (miniscule amount for me)

The salmon didn't put you over on fats/calories? I guess all that fish oil is like 120 calories. I ended up bringing it down a bit.

I ate 10 egg whites, along with beef broth with spinach and mushrooms every day for lunch.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2018

The salmon didn't put you over on fats/calories? I guess all that fish oil is like 120 calories. I ended up bringing it down a bit.

I ate 10 egg whites, along with beef broth with spinach and mushrooms every day for lunch.

No - I only had a small amount of salmon, along with egg whites to bump up the protein in the meal. I'd prefer that to tablets.... So much tastier!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I'm sad now that you're not going to do it.

@psuLemon can you post a rough description of the program and your results?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Yea I've heard RFL is brutal. I did 4 days fairly aggressive high protein and I wanted to fall over. Also my muscles looked so flat I almost thought I lost them! But when I added carbs back they popped again (phew!)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I'm sad now that you're not going to do it.

@psuLemon can you post a rough description of the program and your results?

Thank you. I was honestly really pumped about this (thus, the somewhat brain-dead decision) but it is okay. Maybe one day I will be in a position to do UD 2.0. That is the goal. I do tend to get a little bit ahead of myself in my excitement. I LOVE a good challenge....

So, I roughly know how this UD 2.0 program is layed out....VERY ROUGHLY...

So, assume that you are starting on Monday...

Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday your caloric intake is roughly 1/2 your maintenance caloric intake (and Protein is about 70% of your calories, Fats about 12% and Carbs about 18%). Thursday is the HUGE day where you do have that HUGE Carbs influx. Friday is about 120% of maintenance caloric intake with about 75% Carb intake and about 20% Protein intake and Saturday is about 85% of maintenance caloric intake, with Macros about 33% each. Sunday is about 70% of maintenance caloric intake with about 40% Protein and Fats and about 20% Carbs.

There is also the Workout Plan that goes hand-in-hand with this. There are two depletion training sessions where you burn any glycogen that might be in your body in the beginning of the week. You then have two other training sessions...I believe the 4th is power....not sure about the third. They are tough! From what I hear....
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yea I've heard RFL is brutal. I did 4 days fairly aggressive high protein and I wanted to fall over. Also my muscles looked so flat I almost thought I lost them! But when I added carbs back they popped again (phew!)

I actually purchased the Extremely Rapid Fat Loss program from Lyle McDonald's web site (for a whopping $5) and loved it. I did that last week...Friday I want to say (so, ran that Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday). But, remember Stephanie, I do Keto so no carbs (and this was 100% Protein....glad that I LOVE tuna!!!) is not really anything new or weird to me. That is pretty much everyday. :-)

Folks - I am ABSOLUTELY going to do the RFL Program. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "Thursday - HUGE CARB DAY" like in the UD 2.0 Program. So, unless there is some other mitigating factor of which I am unaware (but will find out when I purchase the program) then I am all-in! For the win (and, maybe that elusive 6-pack abs that I have NEVER had in my life....why not for the first time at 51, right?).....
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

I actually purchased the Extremely Rapid Fat Loss program from Lyle McDonald's web site (for a whopping $5) and loved it. I did that last week...Friday I want to say (so, ran that Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday). But, remember Stephanie, I do Keto so no carbs (and this was 100% Protein....glad that I LOVE tuna!!!) is not really anything new or weird to me. That is pretty much everyday. :-)

Folks - I am ABSOLUTELY going to do the RFL Program. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "Thursday - HUGE CARB DAY" like in the UD 2.0 Program. So, unless there is some other mitigating factor of which I am unaware (but will find out when I purchase the program) then I am all-in! For the win (and, maybe that elusive 6-pack abs that I have NEVER had in my life....why not for the first time at 51, right?).....

It wasn't so much the low carbs, I was fine with that (except how they made me look) but the low calories. And it was so bland and boring. Most of my day was tuna, boiled chicken, whey.. repeat. It was only 4 days. I can't imagine doing that longer term!!

Anyhow good luck! Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    There are no big surprises.

Depending on how lean you are - there is either 2 potential Free meals, for you that might mean a little more fat, little more carbs. But if doing low carb already, your free meal won't be more carbs, just more calories probably.

If leaner a Refeed period & Free meal, where there is encouragement to get carb intake up to certain level in a 5 hr window.
    Again, if body already used to low carb, for you it sounds more like increased fat and protein and higher cals for the window.

Lifting only option sounds like it should work well for you, only cardio is walking then. Just try to keep daily active despite feeling tired perhaps. Maintenance lifting might be expected of course. I didn't do the energy stack, got an untouched bottle of caffeine tablets here, don't need it.

Merely follow the instructions for getting a LBM estimate, picking correct Category, and hitting the protein goals.
    And only for as long as recommended.
    Pay attention for when you slip into next category goals.
  • Laces918
    Laces918 Posts: 36 Member
    @LiftHeavy where is that starting pic!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    @Laces918
    It is in the mail! LOL! It will be coming soon.....as much as I hate the idea....it is time to get a little uncomfortable and just do it. Not such a bad thing. Well, we will see, right?
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Do most people run these different programmes during a cut to shred body fat rather than just a conventional calorie deficit?

Good luck with whatever plan you decide to try.