Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• Missemthings
    Missemthings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that Keto helps with migraines, so that's why I started it. Its been a bonus for the weight loss, my head has been feeling better, but I'm only two weeks in. BUT I have lost 5lbs so that's exciting.
  • GFeltonLB
    GFeltonLB Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was looking into 'diets' yesterday because my cardiologist(s) suggest I do the Mediterranean Diet (actually one said the "Loma Linda Diet" (the people there have a very long lifespan. The base of their food pyramid is "activity and socializing", then above that is whole grains & fruit & veggies & nuts & healthy oils, above that is fish, above that is poultry, and the smallest part at the top is meat/sweets.
    Basically it's the Mediterranean Diet with a 7th Day influence based on eating as the Bible says starting in Genesis 1:28.

My research of the top 10 diets puts KETO in the lowest slot with Mediterranean Diet ranking at the top.

Of course not all diets work for everyone but most diets work for everyone in the beginning.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    GFeltonLB wrote: »
    I was looking into 'diets' yesterday because my cardiologist(s) suggest I do the Mediterranean Diet (actually one said the "Loma Linda Diet" (the people there have a very long lifespan. The base of their food pyramid is "activity and socializing", then above that is whole grains & fruit & veggies & nuts & healthy oils, above that is fish, above that is poultry, and the smallest part at the top is meat/sweets.
    Basically it's the Mediterranean Diet with a 7th Day influence based on eating as the Bible says starting in Genesis 1:28.

My research of the top 10 diets puts KETO in the lowest slot with Mediterranean Diet ranking at the top.

Of course not all diets work for everyone but most diets work for everyone in the beginning.

All diets work for everyone provided that you're on a caloric deficit with the exception of those who have health issues that requires them to follow a specific diet. The rest is just noise and marketing....
  • wild2b1
    wild2b1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand about traumatic injuries. I am in the USCG and while on my ship, lost my footing and fell down one of the ladders(stairs) onboard. I broke my leg and it took me almost a year to be able to get back at it and actually get in the gym.

I started out just lifting weights because I was still afraid to run on my leg even though it has a plate and 6 screws in it. It wasn't going to fall apart on me, lol. It was a mental game and once I got over that fear then I started doing cardio and working out. I got back in the gym Feb 1 2018 and started my cardio back May 15. Just doing incline 15 and walking at 3.5 for an hour. Gave it a month and decided to run, 5mph for 15 mins. Next day, 5mph for 35 mins. then I was doing 40 and 45 mins. Now I am running at 5 minute intervals of 3.5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 4.

Long build up I know, hang tight. This whole time I was working out I was not losing any weight. I was just eating the same way I was. For 4 mts I didn't lose a single lb, but I didn't gain anything either. Starting June 1 2018 I started KETO. Continuing with my routine I have lost 26lbs in 54 days and still losing at a descent rate. That's about a half lb a day.

I have had a cheat day on my birthday in which I gained 7lbs (in a day) and it took me 5 days to get it back off. Then I went on vaca for two weeks and only gained 2lbs with no exercise. Had I not had these couple setbacks then I am certain I would be over 30lbs lost at this point.

For me Keto works and I am going to stick with it for a while. I still want to drop another 30lbs so I can get back to my high school weight. I am 6'2", 37yrs old. 6/1/18 Starting weight 260, 7/25/18 Current weight 233.

I can relate to some of that there (broke my foot last summer, spent the summer in a boot and then the rest of the year and up to March gingerly walking around), me and my unhappy additional 15lbs.
  • fb47
    Options
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you want, no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I think some people can maintain keto no problem. It is hard for me to stay away from carbs and I'm of course not talking (sweet potatoes and corn). I have been off keto for a good month and a half. I felt so bloated, and terrible. It truly is better for my body to be on it than to be consuming carbs. My ibs is always in check with being on keto, I have no IBS issues, I sleep better, my pcos symptoms are in check being on keto. Overall its amazing for me and my ailments that I suffer from to keep everything moving properly.

But for me its extremely hard. I do it but I am not going to lie I fall off the wagon sometimes. I always feel terrible after (my whole body suffers eating carbs).

I've been back on track since coming back from vacation and I feel like me again. All my bloating went away and I just feel so much nicer. I do suffer from keto flu and the dreaded bad breath when I first start, but keeping your electrolytes up and taking some chlorophyll helps.

All in all its really good for me. I may once I hit goal throw in a sweet potato now and then just to up my carbs. But if I have breads or pastas or any type of sweets. I am on a bender. Sugar is definitely a drug to me. I've known this for awhile but being on keto really emphasizes it.

Just to let you know too, I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it, I stuck with it long enough to get bloodwork and all my cholesterol went down in a 6 month period of being on keto for the first time ever in my life. They all went down to almost optimal range.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    GFeltonLB wrote: »

Food recommendations in the U.S. have a strong beginning in the bible too. More grains and less animal products does seem to have a basis there. Nina Teicholtz 's book, Big Fat Surprise gets into it somewhat... I was surprised to learn that cereal was invented by Kellogg to lower testosterone and reduce *kitten* .
    (*kitten* is "self loving")
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

Some can. Some can't.

Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.
  • BudEvans54
    BudEvans54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    As I learn about this there is a daily moment that you realize, damn I can't have shrimp Tacos. I even bought some "low carb tortilla's" only to find out they were 10g of carbs in each one. Most of the veggies I was eating for dinner are still okay and I gave up my sandwich at lunch. On the bright side I realized I can dip my crab legs in real butter again. I had switched to Old Bay to avoid the fat.

Try a mix of almond flour, egg and cheddar cheese - bake to set and then heat in a saucepan like you would a taco shell to brown it- about 1g net carb. wouldn't be a staple in my diet though
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    wildwing54 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    As I learn about this there is a daily moment that you realize, damn I can't have shrimp Tacos. I even bought some "low carb tortilla's" only to find out they were 10g of carbs in each one. Most of the veggies I was eating for dinner are still okay and I gave up my sandwich at lunch. On the bright side I realized I can dip my crab legs in real butter again. I had switched to Old Bay to avoid the fat.

Try a mix of almond flour, egg and cheddar cheese - bake to set and then heat in a saucepan like you would a taco shell to brown it- about 1g net carb. wouldn't be a staple in my diet though

Sounds interesting. Right now I am just getting to this and haven't found my food selection boring....yet. My wife, is doing this too, is a fantastic cook and can be very inventive at dinner. Lunch is the meal that is the most different. Sandwich bread was a convenient delivery system but my cauliflower/broccoli with cheese and a chicken breast was tasty today.
  • fb47
    edited July 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »

You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

Some can. Some can't.

Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    keto obviously put you in a deficit of calories compared to not eating keto and eating the way you were. you were eating maintenance calories. as for gaining weight in a day its not fat and weight fluctuates hour to hour,day to day.if you are losing a half lb a day then your deficit is too high.to lose a half lb a day which is 3.5 lbs a week you have a deficit of 1750 calories.I dont know your exercise activity but I put lightly active and to maintain your current weight it states on a TDEE calculator you need 2821 calories a day to maintain weight. so if your deficit is 1750 calories then that puts you at 1071 calories. please tell us that you are NOT eating that little per day?

I am eating anywhere between 1500 to 2000 calories a day depending on what they make on the ship and the snacks I eat throughout the day. The other day I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, a quest bar, two T-bone steaks for lunch, and Grilled chicken for dinner and still dropped. I also do modified bullet proof coffee daily and eat cheese and lots of jalapenos. Almonds, string cheese, sugar free jello, 90% chocolate, pork rinds, jack links, quest bars, are all part of my diet. But I do make sure every morning I have a 2 egg scramble with mushrooms, cheese, and peppers with bacon and/or sausage. I found that, routine, works the best and eating at the same times throughout the day everyday. My macros are usually around 65-70% fat, 20-30% protein, and 5-10% carb. My net carbs are under 20g everyday for the most part. I do my workouts before bed so I continue to burn throughout the night while I am sleeping.

that says what you ate not how much.its not about what you eat for weight loss its about how much.routine for you works meal timing is irrelevant though for weight loss. and your body burns throughout the night whether you do your exercises or not. at your heigh if you are active you definitely need more than 1500 calories a day. the more you weigh,the taller you are,and if not sedentary then you need more calories. so if you are losing fast you are creating a higher deficit through diet and exercise right? if so do you eat any of your exercise calories back? macros also mean nothing really, unless your training for something , macros have a lot to do with being satiated. if you are satiated on keto then do that (which is what you are doing with those macros) but keto isnt the reason you are losing so quickly. if you only eat 1500 and continue to lose,you wont be able to go lower in calories. 1500 is the minimum for a sedentary,eldery,very short male or a combo of the 3. fast weight loss is not always the healthiest way to go so please be mindful and watch how you feel.