Ketogenic diet

124

Replies

  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,868 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.

    Normally, if someone has a health condition they mention it in the first post.
  • ramakrishnanpravin73
    ramakrishnanpravin73 Posts: 11 Member
    I am following keto diet over last few days. It is really effective. But didn't find any negative impact.
  • Mayestic1976
    Mayestic1976 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    1st i have to say " sorry for my bad english " :)

    I can not tell you if Ketogenic is a good or bad idea for me but it was ideal in the beginning.
    In November 2015, I weighed just over 200 KG. How hard I was exactly I do not know my scale was only calibrated to 200 KG.

    At first, I ate low carb for almost three months.
    I abstained from processed foods and always cooked fresh.

    The first few weeks, there were only soups with lots of vegetables, coconut milk, curry paste and meat. Over the weeks, I kept reducing the meat, I was on the way to live vegetarian.

    After a few months, however, my soups bored me and I realized that I was missing something. I'm just not a vegetarian.

    So I went again to find a new way to lose weight and came on Youtube on the anabolic diet. It sounded so good to eat 5-6 days of diet and then 1-2 days whatever you want, also known as cheatday.

    I was looking for a German-speaking forum and there they strongly advised me against the anabolic diet. Anabolic diet is for competitors, cheatdays are self-deception, I should skip the cheatday and try out the ketogenic diet.

    By that time, I had lost nearly 17 KG of weight with my soups and was highly motivated. Knowing that much of it was just water.

    At the end of January 2016, I started Ketogenic Diet. The rules for the first few weeks were manageable. Do not pay attention to the calories, eat as much as you are full, eat more fat than protein and carbohydrates together, no sports, trink 3-5 L water each day. In short, Skaldeman rules.

    The beginning was really hard for me but I was told in advance what can happen in the first few weeks. I felt the full range of cold withdrawal of sugar. Low Carb Fluenca. If I had had to work at this time, I would not have kept it up.

    After about four weeks, everything improved. Suddenly I did not feel hungry anymore, the first four weeks I was almost only eating and was constantly hungry, but still took off. I did not pay attention to calories, as I was told.

    What can I say ? I lost 45 KG in the next 12 months. But I had months in between, in which I did not lose weight. Then again there were months in which I lost 7 KG weight.

    My circle of friends was worried because they did not know any better. Although they saw the successes but they could not understand how to lose weight so fast, so much where I took a good 200 grams of fat a day. After the first 4 weeks, regardless of the calories, I was instructed to eat at least my basal metabolic rate. That was 2400 calories for me and on many days it was really hard to take these because i never was hungry.

    January 2017 I started sports. Since I was not sure what I had done to the last few years, I got myself a personal trainer. Whether that was a good idea I do not know. In fact, looking back, the sport started to stop weight loss.

    Nevertheless, until May 2017 I had a weight of 121 KG. So since November 2015 I have lost over 80 KG.

    At some point after I got stuck on my 120 kg for months despite the ketogenic diet, I ate carbohydrates again. My weight stayed but I was much better in sports. As an example, I could suddenly lift 50kg more deadlift.

    My circle of friends told me I had changed my mind since I eat carbohydrates again. I became happier and happier. The renunciation of sugar has made me a pretty bad-tempered man.

    Nevertheless it annoyed me very much that I had stopped so shortly before my goal. My goal was 95-100 KG. Although this is still mathematically still overweight and a bad BMI but who cares about the BMI if you look good? :)

    January 2018 I finished the personal training ........ and got fat again ....... no wait I'm just kidding, I started with Crossfit.

    Let's say how it is, I will probably never become a good crossfitter but I feel comfortable in this little crossfit box. Everything is very familiar, nobody is marginalized because of his appearance or overweight. Everyone helps everyone if help is needed. I've had some very negative experiences in fitness centers. It hurts me a bit that I have to do most of the exercises "scaled" but I've done in the years of massive excess weight many long-term damage.

    For a good 5 weeks now I'm eating ketogen again. The start was a bit bumpy. For the first time, I realized that too much protein is being thrown out of the ketosis, which was not the case in 2016. Weight loss is currently stagnating. At the moment it is very warm in Germany, 30-40 degrees are not fun for me. I can currently forget lifting weights. But the keto adaptation is simply too bad for that. Thus, I have now started 3 weeks after the start of the ketogenic diet with endurance training. My best friend is just the bike and a rowing machine. In a few weeks I will start again with Kettlebell. At the moment I'm rowing 4 times 60 minutes a week, in my free time I only use the bike, do my shopping and appointments and do without the car.

    At the moment it is very warm as I said, I lose a lot of water and therefore can not say how successful keto is with me at the moment. I'm getting better at the rowing machine, endurance is just my thing. This morning I weighed 117 KG. The first weight loss for more than 12 months.

    Nevertheless, much has improved with me with Keto. But I noticed in the time without keto that I do not increase. I can easily hold my weight. I can eat whatever I wanted and I really ate a lot of terrible stuff, with lots of sugar.

    One of my main problems is that I'm still having trouble fixing myself. When I allow myself carbohydrates I eat them all and sometimes I can not stop. Called binge eating. With carbohydrates, I was much better in sports, at least in weightlifting. It may be that over the months when the keto adaptation continues everything work much more better.

    Ketoadaption is also the keyword here for me. I would not recommend anyone a short term ketogenic diet. Until the body has changed over, until the intestine has formed enough bacteria to optimize fat digestion usually pass months. Someone who wants to make competitive sport as efficient as with carbohydrates sometimes needs much longer. Experiences from my forum speak here from 6 months and longer. Ketogenic diet is not a crash diet to lose a lot of weight fast.

    But it may be that it works a lot better here than with me. If I have learned one thing in the last few years then there is no ideal diet or nutrition for all of us. We are all very individual and what works well for me does not work well with you. Losing weight is not as easy as it was for years to sell. Especially since I do not look at ketogenic diet as a diet because I do not deliberately reduce my calories. You should never eat under basal metabolism. If you are very overweight you can do that but the closer you get to the normal weight the more important the given macros will be. For me they are quite simple, without regard to much strength and muscle gain. A maximum of 20 grams of carbohydrates a day and I personally can eat well 50 grams without the ketosis is disturbed. Now and then a slip-up is okay but not in the first few months. The stronger the keto adaptation, the easier it is to forgive these mistakes. 130 grams of protein are mandatory for me even if you say that muscle mass does not disappear so easily during ketosis. This results in at least 150 grams of fat per day because I should eat more fat than carbohydrates and protein together.

    150 grams of fat are about 1400 calories, 130 grams of protein + 20g of carbohydrates are about 620 calories.

    As a security, a little more fat and I can easily get on my 2100-2400 calories a day which just covers my basal metabolic rate. Eating more is really hard.

    Then something about doctors. My family doctor was initially shocked by my new diet. It is a pity that some, from my experience mostly older doctors are not really well versed in new diets. I was initially strongly advised by the doctor to not feed me ketogen. After being examined extensively in the first few months, she had to change her mind. Granted, I acidify quickly. After a few months I had to take a medicine that reduces my uric acid and I also had my first kidney stone which was really very painful, but I also have to say that I often drink too little. My blood lipid levels went through the blanket at the start of the ketogenic diet, but this changed very much after the first few months. My blood lipid levels were better during ketosis than ever before. That's why I say the keto as a crash diet is not good in the long run but already.

    Last but not least bad news. A few of us can not feed ketogenically. I have not experienced it myself and I'm grateful for it but some people are allergic to the changing sweat. As you know (or not) the body in ketosis tries to get rid of the annoying acetone. Acetone is formed in the ketosis when the spent ketones are disposed of. This is done through urine, sweat and breath. Therefore, some people who are ketogenic also constantly have bad breath. You can smell the acetone, it smells like nail polish remover, slightly sweetish. I've seen in my forum from time to time that some members got a rash of acetone-containing sweat that was so violent that they had to do without the ketosis but still had very good results with Low Carb

    A video with maybe a lot more usefull hints in case of ketoadaption as i can explane it with my bad english.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.

    Normally, if someone has a health condition they mention it in the first post.

    Possibly.
    All we know about the OP is that she has unfortunately been through something traumatic.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    edited July 2018
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.

    Ok, so you assume she was talking about a minority of people despite not mentionning anything? She basically said to read a book from some author on how Paleo and keto is not just about eating, it's about a general healthy lifestyle. For the majority of the people here who don't have health issues can see this statement as "Keto and Paleo is the only way to have a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control" as she states it. She should've been more precise with that statement unless she actually thinks that keto and paleo is the only way to live a healthy lifestyle. You can understand I hope that her statement can be misleading.

    No I assumed it was directed at all people in general, hence the "some can, some can't" response to someone else's reply to a book that someone recommended because she found it helpful. You added the "Keto and Paleo is the only way". She did not. She actually said:
    ... It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    @Mayestic1976 congratulations on your success! Consider joining the Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups for more information and support.
  • cherry0183
    cherry0183 Posts: 1 Member
    I have been Keto for almost two months, and with the help of some great FB groups I was able to avoid the Keto flu and have been only reaping the benefits. I can see myself adapting this lifestyle for the rest of my life.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,823 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.

    Normally, if someone has a health condition they mention it in the first post.

    I wish...
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.

    Ok, so you assume she was talking about a minority of people despite not mentionning anything? She basically said to read a book from some author on how Paleo and keto is not just about eating, it's about a general healthy lifestyle. For the majority of the people here who don't have health issues can see this statement as "Keto and Paleo is the only way to have a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control" as she states it. She should've been more precise with that statement unless she actually thinks that keto and paleo is the only way to live a healthy lifestyle. You can understand I hope that her statement can be misleading.

    No I assumed it was directed at all people in general, hence the "some can, some can't" response to someone else's reply to a book that someone recommended because she found it helpful. You added the "Keto and Paleo is the only way". She did not. She actually said:
    ... It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    to-may-toes....to-mah-toes....in the end, it meant the same thing.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,104 Member
    I will jump in.....

    I have high A1C. I have know this for several years. I found out via the Life Insurance health check (just one more thing about me that p*$$ed off my now ex-wife about me). I never did anything about the high A1C until six years ago.

    I very much enjoy Keto. I am a creature of habit when it comes to food so eating the same thing everyday of every week of every month is not a problem for me. Most importantly, I really enjoy the food. Do I enjoy carbs? Heck yes! Ask me to make you Manicotti and you will fall in love with me! LOL! But, they just do not love me. So, in the pursuit of "Healthy first, Fit second" (which I sometimes forget.....to be honest) I started looking into the Ketogenic Way of Eating last December. I started February 1, 2018. Now, the ugly - I was doing Power Lifting at that time. MAN!!!!! Let me tell you how bad that sucked! I figured out that I needed to eat a sweet potato about one hour before my training session or I would die! LITERALLY! (okay, maybe a bit dramatic....but I wished I would die several times....still, that did not stop me from finishing the session each of those days).

    I lose weight and I gain weight on the Keto way of eating. It is all about calories in | calories out. This (Keto) is not some magic pill! But, what it is......it is potentially a tool to help you remain in a caloric deficit (if that is your plan at the moment). If it works for you, then great! If not, well - you can cross that off the list and move on to the next idea.

    It works mostly well for me. I find - now that I have been doing Keto for several months and am Keto-adapted that the training sessions no longer suck. In fact, I do have a lot of energy (just in general....but with Keto, even more....if that is possible). No longer doing the Power Lifting stuff so can not speak to that....but the normal hypertrophy-style of weight training - no problem.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    edited July 2018
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ,
    fb47 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    Go get the book, The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. It offers a lot of scientific facts about the Keto/Paleo WOE that I found VERY useful. It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    You can be healthy just by being vegan or eating a balanced diet with no restriction apart from making sure you hit your calories/micronutrients & fiber if you , no need to follow one diet in order to have a general healthy lifestyle.

    Some can. Some can't.

    Sometimes specific diets are best for meeting a person's health needs.

    That's not what she was saying. She said it in a general sense. She never mentionned anything about those with specific needs.

    I realize that, but she did not specify that she was talking about only healthy people either.

    Ok, so you assume she was talking about a minority of people despite not mentionning anything? She basically said to read a book from some author on how Paleo and keto is not just about eating, it's about a general healthy lifestyle. For the majority of the people here who don't have health issues can see this statement as "Keto and Paleo is the only way to have a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control" as she states it. She should've been more precise with that statement unless she actually thinks that keto and paleo is the only way to live a healthy lifestyle. You can understand I hope that her statement can be misleading.

    No I assumed it was directed at all people in general, hence the "some can, some can't" response to someone else's reply to a book that someone recommended because she found it helpful. You added the "Keto and Paleo is the only way". She did not. She actually said:
    ... It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control.

    to-may-toes....to-mah-toes....in the end, it meant the same thing.

    I don't see how. I guess I don't think they have the same meaning:

    "It's not just about eating, it's more about a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control." =/= "Keto and Paleo is the only way to have a general healthy lifestyle from exercise and stress control."

  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    I have elimated breads, pasta, rice, processed junk, corn, peas, beans ... and I am down 27 lbs. I honestly don't count calories or carbs. But by eliminating those items if I do enter my foods my carbs aren't higher then 20 grams. I find that you have to make it work for you to continue it. I don't call it a diet, its a life change .. you gotta make it something you will stick with! I have heard good things about Keto though. I just don't label what I am doing :) Find what works for you! :)
  • amybethjack
    amybethjack Posts: 61 Member
    I met with a new doctor for the first time this week. I've been eating keto for three months and although I was excited to report a 30 pound loss in that time I was really concerned what a professional would say about the food choices. It surprised me when he said that he, too, eats keto. He does it for the energy and mental clarity as he does not need to lose weight. He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster. I have noticed the added energy (and I sleep better) and my mom, who is also eating keto, has noticed better brain function. As dementia runs in the family that is one of her reasons for eating keto.

    I've been overweight, obese or morbidly obese my entire adult life (ever since having kids). I've never tried a diet that is this easy to follow, doesn't leave me feeling deprived and left me feeling this good (and I've tried my share of diets). Additionally, the weight that I've lost has primarily been from around my middle. I've lost six inches in my waist and pants that I couldn't get on three months ago are falling off me now. I'm pleased that I'm losing belly fat as studies suggest that belly fat is the most dangerous to a persons health. Eating a calorie deficit has been almost TOO easy on keto as the abundance of fats keeps me satisfied and not craving food. I've ageraged less than 1150 calories a day over the course of three months even though my target is 1200.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster.

    No it doesn't, you only lose weight faster if your caloric deficit is too big or if you're obese to begin with and experience a huge weight drop in the first few weeks because of the water weight. IF happened to be the tool they used to acheive that, but no scientific study will show that IF makes you lose weight faster.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,702 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster.

    No it doesn't, you only lose weight faster if your caloric deficit is too big or if you're obese to begin with and experience a huge weight drop in the first few weeks because of the water weight. IF happened to be the tool they used to acheive that, but no scientific study will show that IF makes you lose weight faster.

    exactly Ive done IF most of my life and I didnt lose any faster doing IF than when I didnt do IF. even when I did keto it made NO difference.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,756 Member
    I met with a new doctor for the first time this week. I've been eating keto for three months and although I was excited to report a 30 pound loss in that time I was really concerned what a professional would say about the food choices. It surprised me when he said that he, too, eats keto. He does it for the energy and mental clarity as he does not need to lose weight. He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster. I have noticed the added energy (and I sleep better) and my mom, who is also eating keto, has noticed better brain function. As dementia runs in the family that is one of her reasons for eating keto.

    I've been overweight, obese or morbidly obese my entire adult life (ever since having kids). I've never tried a diet that is this easy to follow, doesn't leave me feeling deprived and left me feeling this good (and I've tried my share of diets). Additionally, the weight that I've lost has primarily been from around my middle. I've lost six inches in my waist and pants that I couldn't get on three months ago are falling off me now. I'm pleased that I'm losing belly fat as studies suggest that belly fat is the most dangerous to a persons health. Eating a calorie deficit has been almost TOO easy on keto as the abundance of fats keeps me satisfied and not craving food. I've ageraged less than 1150 calories a day over the course of three months even though my target is 1200.

    What type of doctor?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,702 Member
    I met with a new doctor for the first time this week. I've been eating keto for three months and although I was excited to report a 30 pound loss in that time I was really concerned what a professional would say about the food choices. It surprised me when he said that he, too, eats keto. He does it for the energy and mental clarity as he does not need to lose weight. He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster. I have noticed the added energy (and I sleep better) and my mom, who is also eating keto, has noticed better brain function. As dementia runs in the family that is one of her reasons for eating keto.

    I've been overweight, obese or morbidly obese my entire adult life (ever since having kids). I've never tried a diet that is this easy to follow, doesn't leave me feeling deprived and left me feeling this good (and I've tried my share of diets). Additionally, the weight that I've lost has primarily been from around my middle. I've lost six inches in my waist and pants that I couldn't get on three months ago are falling off me now. I'm pleased that I'm losing belly fat as studies suggest that belly fat is the most dangerous to a persons health. Eating a calorie deficit has been almost TOO easy on keto as the abundance of fats keeps me satisfied and not craving food. I've ageraged less than 1150 calories a day over the course of three months even though my target is 1200.

    1150 is too little unless you are very short,sedentary.elderly or a combo of the 3. as for dementia and keto the studies are still lacking on if it actually helps with dementia or not. you lost weight quick because you have been eating a pretty big deficit. 10 lbs a month is too much even for an obese person to lose . keto also doesnt make everyone have more energy or better brain function,etc. it made all my health issues worse and zapped my energy