Fake Activity Calories?

Replies

• cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Yea,I see the "food Preparation" as exercise on here and I'm just thinking WTH? But,to each his own...If it works for them,then cool.

Some food prep is hard work. Baking bread for instance. The kneading process makes me break a sweat every time!

This! And working in a kitchen is freaking NUTS. It's hot, humid and the pace is super fast and I would TOTALLY log that if I still worked in one! I log cooking sometimes if I'm doing a large catering project and plan to be on my feet multitasking for 3 or more hours.

But I saw 17 mins and 13 calories burned logged before. My sister-in-law worked in a bakery and she worked her butt off I'm sure that that job burns more calories than my desk job but I don't think I would log it as exercise...me personally
  • I count on the treadmill exercises 99.9% of the time only..I might throw in a 2 mile hike in the snow with the dog. But I try not to count that. I did that anyways before I started this exercise routine and it didn't keep the weight off. So why inflate my calorie burn now with things I already did..
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

best thing i've read in here today!

as far as the OP goes, I log anything I wouldn't normally do day to day. SO gardening, spring cleaning, shopaholic mall binge sessions get logged, but as a lesser duration (like i log about half the duration - so a 3 hour mall trek i'd log 90 mins of light walking etc). Why? it's over and above, so it counts - I oculd be sitting round doing nothing, but I'm not. SO I count it :)
  • piratemerdi
    piratemerdi Posts: 212 Member
    If you look at the page where you can manually change your goals, it adds in the calories burned from daily activities, that your body just naturally burns off. You won't burn any extra calories from doing activities like watching TV, sewing, etc. your body DOES burn calories, just not any more than it would if you were sitting normally.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    This is a rule of thumb. Any daily, regular activities should be set up on the daily activity level. This prevents a lot of unnecessary logging. If it is an exceptional activity such as gym activities OR maybe moving a lot of boxes that is very uncommon, I usually log it since it is outside my regular activity level. Seems to work for me.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    I have a 5 bedroom 3 bath house and when I bleach the kitchen cabinets and sweep, mop,and vacuum I usually log that under cleaning " lightly" other then that if I'm just picking up around the house I don't log it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    It's none of anyone's business

I agree with this. People can log however they want.

Personally I use a TDEE model and don't deal with this kind of issue.

Eat at maintenance (as I have been all year) and your weight will remain stable

Eat at a surplus and you will gain weight

Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    ohnoez people are going to freak out because this thread was inactive for a long time and it somehow harms them when this occurs.
  • Your body burns calories even when you sit still or while you sleep, so any additional activity, depending on how strenuous, will increase the amount of calories you burn.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I've noticed that quite a few people add "sitting, sewing" and other activities like "food preparation" into their activity log ad some people rack up a few hundred extra calories from "cleaning, light effort."

Honestly, do these activities, especially the sitting ones, actually rack up an extra burnt calories because to me it's sedentary.... If its worked for you and you're losing weight- please let me know!

Basically, any extra calories to add to my total would be welcomed!

sewing =/= food prep
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I've noticed that quite a few people add "sitting, sewing" and other activities like "food preparation" into their activity log ad some people rack up a few hundred extra calories from "cleaning, light effort."

Honestly, do these activities, especially the sitting ones, actually rack up an extra burnt calories because to me it's sedentary.... If its worked for you and you're losing weight- please let me know!

Basically, any extra calories to add to my total would be welcomed!

sewing =/= food prep

sewing =/= food prep =/= need to eat more
  • Nikolaijj
    Nikolaijj Posts: 11 Member
    I log food prepping, but because I don't do small, basic things when I cook. Everything is from scratch and done by hand, so I usually end up actually breaking a sweat (hey, you try kneading dough for four different things for like an hour and a half total). But if it's like, making some eggs and toast, that isn't worth logging.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    This is an extremely old discussion.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    This is an extremely old discussion.

How many calories does bumping old threads burn?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Nikolaijj wrote: »
    I log food prepping, but because I don't do small, basic things when I cook. Everything is from scratch and done by hand, so I usually end up actually breaking a sweat (hey, you try kneading dough for four different things for like an hour and a half total). But if it's like, making some eggs and toast, that isn't worth logging.

I'd log kneading dough too ;)

I don't log my ordinary cooking, but I do log it when I'm doing it for someone else, like when I'm spending extra hours in the kitchen cooking for a family get together, or when I was doing baking for someone else last winter.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Personally, I’d say anything that gets your heart rate elevated and leaves you with tired muscles is exercise.

Bear in mind that we’re not all twenty-somethings, doing gym classes and running marathons. Some of us are getting on a bit.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited July 2018
    I log grocery shopping because I wear my 20+ baby on my back and push my 55lbs of kids in a buggy with bad wheels (Just as "walking with a 15lb load"). But otherwise, I don't log non-gym activities. I only do it once a week give or take, so it's not a regular addition. Also, if DH goes and wears the baby, I don't log it.

I know it's an old thread, but I'm a new user and I've never seen it before, so....
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I have entered sedentary in my stats as I am retired and, unless well motivated will quite happily sit all day. Hence my cal allowance is 1200. I log all of my activity including my 'weekly clean' and walking as a way of getting myself to move about more. I woudn't log any sitting or fairly stationary activity (ironing etc) and only count my weekly clean as that is the real furniture moving, skirting board cleaning, bed making type clean and I have a large house. Waving a duster about or doing the washing up/laundry does not get counted! I count window washing if I do inside and out of a lot of windows - it's great for the arms! I also count hand washing the cars. Similarly with gardening - I don't include it if I'm just tickling a few weeds but if it is the sort of work that I would previously have persuaded hubby was his domain I count it - usually involving large branches, wheelbarrows etc. Don't include mowing as we have a ride on. By doing this I recognise the calories quoted by mfp are probably greatly exaggerated and hence I aim to eat back no more than half (unless I have been really vigorous for an extended period - I may eat a little more then). By doing this I have lost just over 45 lbs and continue to do so in a way which I see as sustainable going into maintenance.

I also think it's important to remember that, for people with mobility issues, doing any form of activity may represent a real breakthrough for them; if you cannot walk far/outside, a walk around the house is an achievement and they may log it to give themselves some recognition, They may not (probably shouldn't) eat many of the calories back unless they have severely restricted their calorie intake.
  • bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    I woudn't i normal just link my fitbit to the application an let that track it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    I think the only way you see it is if your on their friend list correct?

If it bugs you, the solution is simple. :)