Crossfit

Options

Replies

• natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Their mascot is a clown hooked up to a dialysis machine, from getting sick from Crossfit. No thanks.

Plus, where is the specialization? What if you have puny arms and thick legs? Why do more squats? Or if you have huge shoulders and puny legs? Why do more shoulder presses?

The programming is for the CLASS, not for YOU. Your goals are immaterial to Crossfit. Your goals are what they say they are that day, and every other day you go there.

The specialty is not specializing. CrossFit is not going to be the best decision for someone with specific aesthetic or strength goals. But it is a great option for those who want to develop overall strength and improve in multiple fitness modalities.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Their mascot is a clown hooked up to a dialysis machine, from getting sick from Crossfit. No thanks.

Plus, where is the specialization? What if you have puny arms and thick legs? Why do more squats? Or if you have huge shoulders and puny legs? Why do more shoulder presses?

The programming is for the CLASS, not for YOU. Your goals are immaterial to Crossfit. Your goals are what they say they are that day, and every other day you go there.

The specialty is not specializing. CrossFit is not going to be the best decision for someone with specific aesthetic or strength goals. But it is a great option for those who want to develop overall strength and improve in multiple fitness modalities.

People seem not to understand what Cross-Fit means....

Agreed!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Some of the problem with that type of training to those who successfully have trained ourselves and others longer than crossfit has even been around is if you only do a skilled lift such as a Clean once every six weeks you will not improve in strength, technique, or that skill. So not specializing actually makes it a non useful lift for nearly any goal.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    So... I lift and do Crossfit.

You make no sense. If its not YOUR program its not good? Maybe the OP just wants to be well-rounded.

You lift only? You never run, or do anything else? If you run once a week or so, you will not improve your running. Does that mean you should never do it? Only perform any exercise if you can devote yourself to it several days a week?
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Everyone has their own opinion and way of running their own life. If Crossfit is for you, you are not alone.

Do you.

But don't get mad when people criticize it, when it has such a high rate of injury and a disease so common among its followers that it incorporated into the mascot imagery, and has been dubbed "Crossfit disease."

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Wow, this may as well be a Planet Fitness thread....

You're Not Allowed To Be Critical Of Planet Fitness !

....... they say so:

planet-fitness-casting-678x381.jpg
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

You're Not Allowed To Be Critical Of Planet Fitness !

....... they say so:

planet-fitness-casting-678x381.jpg

I hate their color scheme so much.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

You are not lying. Don't get me started on Planet Fitness. LOLOLOLOLOL!

Honestly, different people need different things. Some people need Crossfit. They need to spend exorbitant amounts of money for spartan spaces, a competitive environment and speed. The combo probably gives them the rush they need. If they spent less money, they'd question the value of what they are doing, if the grounds were nice, they wouldn't feel like they had "grit," if they couldn't prove they were doing better than Stacey, they'd wonder why are they even here, and tossing around weight for speed gets that combo of weightlifting pump and runners high, so their brains get their drugs. And some people have a hard time with autonomy. They are wired to be more communal and prefer having a leader than being self-led. Having goals and programming imposed on them might actually have them progress further and faster than if they'd gone at it alone. But it comes at a high cost, both in money and health.

Some people need PF. If people really are scared to come of out of a dressing room of a gym, they may need a starter gym like PF, just to get comfortable. But it comes at a high cost, in terms of not making any progress, or having a ceiling put on their progress.

I'm not saying that people can't progress in both CF or PF environments. Different strokes for different folks.

The condescension in this post is off the charts....

I don't think you have your act together. You are extremely insecure...

Or, I really think CrossFit is dangerous, and Planet Fitness has no squat racks, or free barbells for deadlifts and bench press, literally the three lifts considered foundational for strength gains.

Either way, you are entitled to your opinion.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Honestly, different people need different things. Some people need Crossfit. They need to spend exorbitant amounts of money for spartan spaces, a competitive environment and speed. The combo probably gives them the rush they need. If they spent less money, they'd question the value of what they are doing, if the grounds were nice, they wouldn't feel like they had "grit," if they couldn't prove they were doing better than Stacey, they'd wonder why are they even here, and tossing around weight for speed gets that combo of weightlifting pump and runners high, so their brains get their drugs. And some people have a hard time with autonomy. They are wired to be more communal and prefer having a leader than being self-led. Having goals and programming imposed on them might actually have them progress further and faster than if they'd gone at it alone. But it comes at a high cost, both in money and health.

Some people need PF. If people really are scared to come of out of a dressing room of a gym, they may need a starter gym like PF, just to get comfortable. But it comes at a high cost, in terms of not making any progress, or having a ceiling put on their progress.

I'm not saying that people can't progress in both CF or PF environments. Different strokes for different folks.

LEAVE STACEY ALONE !!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

Or, I really think CrossFit is dangerous, and Planet Fitness has no squat racks, or free barbells for deadlifts and bench press, literally the three lifts considered foundational for strength gains.

OK, but some people go to PF to bike. Some people go to run (like me).
    I'm not there to lift. (I lift at home, and at the Crossfit gym during their open gym hours).

Some people don't care about lifting. Some people are beginners or have disabilities and like the machines for strength training.

It's not all about you...
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

LEAVE STACEY ALONE !!!

LOL.
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit. I can't train at a normal gym, I get bored. I don't want to be able to lift anything super-heavy, I'm not training to compete, I have no motivation to enter a Crossfit competition, or any other competition.

I love the social aspect of it, the variety in the workouts and the health benefits. I'm fitter and stronger than I was (yes, I know I'd be stronger if I just did strength training, I'd also be bored).

The two boxes I've been members of have been great, focused on technique first, then increasing weight. No one has even mentioned paleo, or protein powder of any kind, so dunno where that all comes from.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

OK, but some people go to PF to bike. Some people go to run (like me).
    I'm not there to lift. (I lift at home, and at the Crossfit gym during their open gym hours).

Some people don't care about lifting. Some people are beginners or have disabilities and like the machines for strength training.

It's not all about you...

Good for you. Do you. I think I mentioned that somewhere in every one of my posts.

I am as entitled to my opinion as you are of yours, right?
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. I kind of wish I’d never started this thread and now I’m really doubting if I go to the induction tomorrow or not 😕