Ketogenic diet

1235»

Replies

• Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    I've been keto for a year and a half for my epilepsy, and not only has it controlled my seizures, I lost 130lbs. Easy for me to stick to because of the epilepsy, and I'm able to exercise a lot more and have been doing lots long-distance hiking and powerlifting. No downsides, upsides are physical fitness, a healthy weight, better sleep and mood, and seizure control.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Niff314 wrote: »
    I've been keto for a year and a half for my epilepsy, and not only has it controlled my seizures, I lost 130lbs. Easy for me to stick to because of the epilepsy, and I'm able to exercise a lot more and have been doing lots long-distance hiking and powerlifting. No downsides, upsides are physical fitness, a healthy weight, better sleep and mood, and seizure control.

because one of its main uses was used for epileptics and epilepsy.They are discovering it works for those with type 2 diabetes,insulin resistance and pcos.
  • Fallcreekjulie
    Fallcreekjulie Posts: 1 Member
    I've always been a carb craver but seem to lose better and maintain better if I try to keep them under control. I've just started dieting to take off weight gained during a stressful year and am working with a LOW CARB diet rather than strict keto. I try to keep my carbs at 30 gr or less although I don't beat myself up if I go over a bit on special occasions. I also researched some lists of high fiber veggies and fruits. I think the strict keto (5 gr of carbs or less) is probably unhealthy. I'm packing in a lot of dark leafy greens, taking a multi-vitamin and eating smaller amounts of other veggies. I'm not gorging on fat! I also am keeping my calories at around 1200 a day. I'm taking off between 1.5 and 2.5 a week. When I get to my goal I'll see if I can add some carbs and still maintain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    I met with a new doctor for the first time this week. I've been eating keto for three months and although I was excited to report a 30 pound loss in that time I was really concerned what a professional would say about the food choices. It surprised me when he said that he, too, eats keto. He does it for the energy and mental clarity as he does not need to lose weight. He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster. I have noticed the added energy (and I sleep better) and my mom, who is also eating keto, has noticed better brain function. As dementia runs in the family that is one of her reasons for eating keto.

I've been overweight, obese or morbidly obese my entire adult life (ever since having kids). I've never tried a diet that is this easy to follow, doesn't leave me feeling deprived and left me feeling this good (and I've tried my share of diets). Additionally, the weight that I've lost has primarily been from around my middle. I've lost six inches in my waist and pants that I couldn't get on three months ago are falling off me now. I'm pleased that I'm losing belly fat as studies suggest that belly fat is the most dangerous to a persons health. Eating a calorie deficit has been almost TOO easy on keto as the abundance of fats keeps me satisfied and not craving food. I've ageraged less than 1150 calories a day over the course of three months even though my target is 1200.

1150 is too little unless you are very short,sedentary.elderly or a combo of the 3. as for dementia and keto the studies are still lacking on if it actually helps with dementia or not. you lost weight quick because you have been eating a pretty big deficit. 10 lbs a month is too much even for an obese person to lose . keto also doesnt make everyone have more energy or better brain function,etc. it made all my health issues worse and zapped my energy

Yes, but as someone with familial hypercholesterolemia, you are the exception to to rule. Just like I, as a celiac, am one of the few who shown avoid most baked goods. Our experiences aren't very relevant to others.

I agree that 1150 kcal is on the low side for long term weight loss. I think that could make it harder to get more than the minimum of protein needed by most people.

As to dementia and ketosis, research in the area is growing rapidly. A ketogenic diet does seem to tend to help those with dementia (along with their other treatments).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6021549/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

This is just an article but it has a good list of references:
    https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/ketogenic-diet-shows-promising-results-for-all-dementia-stages/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited July 2018
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I met with a new doctor for the first time this week. I've been eating keto for three months and although I was excited to report a 30 pound loss in that time I was really concerned what a professional would say about the food choices. It surprised me when he said that he, too, eats keto. He does it for the energy and mental clarity as he does not need to lose weight. He also mentioned that his patients that include intermitant fasting tend to lose the weight faster. I have noticed the added energy (and I sleep better) and my mom, who is also eating keto, has noticed better brain function. As dementia runs in the family that is one of her reasons for eating keto.

I've been overweight, obese or morbidly obese my entire adult life (ever since having kids). I've never tried a diet that is this easy to follow, doesn't leave me feeling deprived and left me feeling this good (and I've tried my share of diets). Additionally, the weight that I've lost has primarily been from around my middle. I've lost six inches in my waist and pants that I couldn't get on three months ago are falling off me now. I'm pleased that I'm losing belly fat as studies suggest that belly fat is the most dangerous to a persons health. Eating a calorie deficit has been almost TOO easy on keto as the abundance of fats keeps me satisfied and not craving food. I've ageraged less than 1150 calories a day over the course of three months even though my target is 1200.

1150 is too little unless you are very short,sedentary.elderly or a combo of the 3. as for dementia and keto the studies are still lacking on if it actually helps with dementia or not. you lost weight quick because you have been eating a pretty big deficit. 10 lbs a month is too much even for an obese person to lose . keto also doesnt make everyone have more energy or better brain function,etc. it made all my health issues worse and zapped my energy

Yes, but as someone with familial hypercholesterolemia, you are the exception to to rule. Just like I, as a celiac, am one of the few who shown avoid most baked goods. Our experiences aren't very relevant to others.

I agree that 1150 kcal is on the low side for long term weight loss. I think that could make it harder to get more than the minimum of protein needed by most people.

As to dementia and ketosis, research in the area is growing rapidly. A ketogenic diet does seem to tend to help those with dementia (along with their other treatments).

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/ketogenic-diet-shows-promising-results-for-all-dementia-stages/

Im not the only exception to the rule aside from my FH though,when it comes to keto/low carb. there are others who did keto and felt bad limiting their carbs and they dont have FH. many of those people who stated on the board that they felt less energetic and their workouts suffered from doing low carb/keto. it also made them moody. so no Im not the only exception. there are many others on this board who claimed that keto/low carb just did not do the things that others have claimed it has done for them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

the first study says those with mild to very mild dementia. the second one says this the ketogenic diet could provide symptomatic benefit and might even be disease modifying in Alzheimer’s disease. and this-"Controlled clinical trials are required to confirm the utility of the diet as a disease-modifying approach in any of the conditions in which it has been proposed to be effective. A greater understanding of the underlying mechanisms, however, should allow the diet to be more appropriately studied. Indeed, there are many as yet unanswered questions about the use of the diet." "Caloric restriction has also been demonstrated to attenuate β-amyloid depositions in mouse models of Alzheimer disease (Patel et al., 2005; Wang et al., 2005). How the ketogenic diet and caloric restriction affect β-amyloid levels and whether this effect could be disease modifying in Alzheimer’s disease requires further study."

so that states basically that there are not enough studies and it COULD and MIGHT make a difference but calorie restriction also works. and its done on mice as there arent enough studies on humans yet.
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2018

Im not the only exception to the rule aside from my FH though,when it comes to keto/low carb. there are others who did keto and felt bad limiting their carbs and they dont have FH. many of those people who stated on the board that they felt less energetic and their workouts suffered from doing low carb/keto. it also made them moody. so no Im not the only exception. there are many others on this board who claimed that keto/low carb just did not do the things that others have claimed it has done for them.

I did not say you were the only exception to the rule. There are others who do not enjoy, benefit from, or need a very low carb diet.

It's just that with your health issue, your experience may not be relevant to the OP. Just like for most people, eating bread probably won't make arthritis flare up for weeks like it would for me.

the first study says those with mild to very mild dementia. the second one says this the ketogenic diet could provide symptomatic benefit and might even be disease modifying in Alzheimer’s disease. and this-"Controlled clinical trials are required to confirm the utility of the diet as a disease-modifying approach in any of the conditions in which it has been proposed to be effective. A greater understanding of the underlying mechanisms, however, should allow the diet to be more appropriately studied. Indeed, there are many as yet unanswered questions about the use of the diet." "Caloric restriction has also been demonstrated to attenuate β-amyloid depositions in mouse models of Alzheimer disease (Patel et al., 2005; Wang et al., 2005). How the ketogenic diet and caloric restriction affect β-amyloid levels and whether this effect could be disease modifying in Alzheimer’s disease requires further study."

so that states basically that there are not enough studies and it COULD and MIGHT make a difference but calorie restriction also works. and its done on mice as there arent enough studies on humans yet.

Yes. I know what they said.
    My post said research in the area is growing, and that it appears that ketogenic diets tend to help (meaning it does not always but in most test subjects it did help to a degree). I did not say it was sure treatment, nor the only treatment.

Lots of other things can help too such as drugs, exercise, and calorie restriction (which could be the "other treatment" I mentioned.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I did not say you were the only exception to the rule. There are others who do not enjoy, benefit from, or need a very low carb diet.

It's just that with your health issue, your experience may not be relevant to the OP. Just like for most people, eating bread probably won't make arthritis flare up for weeks like it would for me.

My post said research in the area is growing, and that it appears that ketogenic diets tend to help (meaning it does not always but in most test subjects it did help to a degree). I did not say it was sure treatment, nor the only treatment.

Lots of other things can help too such as drugs, exercise, and calorie restriction (which could be the "other treatment" I mentioned.)

you said "Yes, but as someone with familial hypercholesterolemia, you are the exception to to rule". I also have RA but aside from that. it says the diet could or might help. but no its not a sure thing,nothing is when it comes to diet. like me with My FH I have to take meds to lower my cholesterol. diet and exercise alone for me just doesnt work. Ive tried it off an on over the years.

even certain meds dont work. for my RA I dont need meds yet, and my diet and exercise(when I exercise) keeps it at a tolerable level. for me there are no foods that cause me inflammation as of yet. its possible down the road there could be. Im sure down the road I may need meds for it.

my whole point was that the calorie goal was too low period I also didnt say anything about my FH and dont see where it should come into play. YOU mentioned my FH I never did(I went back and looked). my point had nothing to do with keto but to do with low calories,it also had nothing to do with FH mine or anyone elses.
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2018

you said "Yes, but as someone with familial hypercholesterolemia, you are the exception to to rule". I also have RA but aside from that. it says the diet could or might help. but no its not a sure thing,nothing is when it comes to diet. like me with My FH I have to take meds to lower my cholesterol. diet and exercise alone for me just doesnt work. Ive tried it off an on over the years.

even certain meds dont work. for my RA I dont need meds yet, and my diet and exercise(when I exercise) keeps it at a tolerable level. for me there are no foods that cause me inflammation as of yet. its possible down the road there could be. Im sure down the road I may need meds for it.

my whole point was that the calorie goal was too low period I also didnt say anything about my FH and dont see where it should come into play. YOU mentioned my FH I never did(I went back and looked). my point had nothing to do with keto but to do with low calories,it also had nothing to do with FH mine or anyone elses.

I only mentioned FH because you were discussing your experiences. You mentioned that keto made all your health issues worse and zapped your energy. I thought FH might have something to do with that.

As you know, I have had success with keto. I am sure it is because I had IR and autoimmune issues that respond positively to low carb levels. It increased my energy and improved my health issues. I know health history matters in how a body responds to a diet. That's all.

I absolutely agree that 800 kcal or so is probably too low. And I'm glad you found something that helps your RA.

I agree that I should have typed "an" exception to the rule rather than "the" exception to the rule. That was my semantics error. I did not mean to imply that you are the only one.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I only mentioned FH because you were discussing your experiences. You mentioned that keto made all your health issues worse and zapped your energy. I thought FH might have something to do with that.

As you know, I have had success with keto. I am sure it is because I had IR and autoimmune issues that respond positively to low carb levels. It increased my energy and improved my health issues. I know health history matters in how a body responds to a diet. That's all.

I absolutely agree that 800 kcal or so is probably too low. And I'm glad you found something that helps your RA.

I agree that I should have typed "an" exception to the rule rather than "the" exception to the rule. That was my semantics error. I did not mean to imply that you are the only one.

I am sure my FH had something to do with it but there are others on the board who dont have FH that said high amounts of fats made them feel worse and caused them issues with their health problems(or at least associated the high fat with that). I know that I havent felt even half as bad since I did keto.even when sick I dont have all the issues I did doing keto. me not being able to process fats and cholesterol properly Im sure is what made me feel worse. but theres no way to tell if it was that or something else from eating that way. But it sure seems like thats what made things worse as once I stopped I started feeling better day by day.

I am also glad that keto works for you. Im not knocking keto at all. if someone wants to try it fine to each their own. but the too low of calories is definitely not the way to go no matter what way of eating they are doing.
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    Niff314 wrote: »

That's awesome! How long did it take for you to finally see all of those benefits?
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    My mother was recommended the Keto diet a few years ago by her doctor to help keep her cancer in remission. She's been on it now for three years, and loves it. She initially didn't see weight loss, as she had let her overall calories get out of control, but once she reined in, she had a pretty substansial loss (135 to 105 at 5'1"). She's super happy with it, is pretty dilligent, and is in perfect health. I keep thinking about it, but it's so hard to give up the wine :lol:
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    My mother was recommended the Keto diet a few years ago by her doctor to help keep her cancer in remission. She's been on it now for three years, and loves it. She initially didn't see weight loss, as she had let her overall calories get out of control, but once she reined in, she had a pretty substansial loss (135 to 105 at 5'1"). She's super happy with it, is pretty dilligent, and is in perfect health. I keep thinking about it, but it's so hard to give up the wine :lol:

It's hard to give up a lot of things for keto to be honest lol