Ignoring mfp and listening to your body

Options
2»

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    As other peeps have said, you need to eat your exercise calories back, and if you’re lifting, make sure you get enough protein. I had to completely overhaul my diet when I went from cardio to strength training. I just didn’t have the energy to lift without really increasing protein. For reference, I’m 5’3”, 118 pounds and I maintain on about 2,100 when I’m lifting three to four times a week.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Depends on your past history with your hunger cues. Have they been accurate in the past and allowed you to maintain?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You might do better to tweak your #s a bit before you jump off the MFP wagon, even for a short time. You could be setting yourself up for a roller coaster of going back and forth and not really getting anywhere.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Listening to my body is what made me 50lbs overweight - my vegas nerve lies!! :D:p:D
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my body lies and tells me to eat more than i need. it doesn't understand cico

make sure you eat your calories back from exercise. some calorie burn is over estimated so start with 1/2 of them back and see how you feel. adjust from there
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Personally, my body wants to eat all the time, so it wouldn't work for me.
    Why not try it out and track your weight closely. If you start gaining more pounds than you like, you can always cut back. Worth a try.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Most people who are able to maintain a healthy weight just by eating whatever they want are probably not here on MFP.

“Listening to your body’s needs” is really a fancy way of saying “eating whatever you want.” Our brains are often very bad at telling us what our bodies “need” unless we’re using a tool (like MFP) to figure it out. But brains are really, really good at telling us what they want, and convincing us they “need” it. I can’t tell you how many times my brain has told me that my body needs a brownie. If your brain tells you that you need carrots and tofu, then you’re probably better suited to eat this way than I am.

What you’re describing, however, is a different thing than this idea of intuitive eating. You need to eat your exercise calories back, or else you aren’t following the plan MFP gave you, and are likely creating a deficit that’s too large for you to sustain.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Listening to my body is what made me 50lbs overweight - my vegas nerve lies!! :D:p:D

My vagus (i assume that's what you mean) nerve lies and messes up my stomach and has made me 14 lbs underweight (darn gastroparesis). I will never be able to eat intuitively again

Ooops - I will blame autocorrect - I don't think my nerves like to gamble (or even gambol ;) ) They may enjoy the odd cabaret though.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I wish I could but honestly my body craves delicious yet high calorie food and can’t be trusted. I’d happily eat kfc for lunch every day and not even bat an eyelid.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ignoring MFP and listening to my body is what got me into this situation :D

'Aggressive' anything is not sustainable though. Slow and steady is the way :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I wonder if my Vegas nerve has an Elvis impersonator! https://youtu.be/YMsCeDxmNCw lol