Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is bodybuilding bad for society, from a body positivity perspective?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I agree that body image is getting BETTER lately, not worse. The "ideal" is moving more towards healthy and fit vs. extremely thin. (Which is better for sure, however I do disagree that there is one ideal, we all have different body types and we are all ideal to different people) On top of that we are seeing a lot of different body types represented in clothing ads these days which never would have happened 20 years ago... I think bodybuilding is not mainstream enough to be considered as having that much of an impact to society.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    harneska wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bufger wrote: »
    I haven't met a woman yet who thinks Chris Hemsworth is ugly in Thor.

The fact is genetically we are predisposed to see lean form in males as alpha/prime just like males see female wide hips and big busts as good mating partners. This is in our subconscious because it's been our percieved reality for hundreds of thousands of years. Over time these predispositions fade as ideals change but think of how many thousands of years the Homo sapiens have thought like that... a few generations of alternative thought isn't going to remove that hard wiring.

It often comes to what we see as good in mating partners, but what "good" is has changed dramatically over time in our culture, and is completely different in many other cultures.

So is the point that we should endeavor to have society embrace being fat, out of shape and sedentary as the ideal, so all those people don't get hurt feelz?
    Not at all. The point is whether we should endeavor to have society value what we can do more than precisely how you look. Power lifting vs. bodybuilding. Nobody ever said anything about embracing poor health and being sedentary.

But why pick on bodybuilding? I do endurance running and that (combined with calorie control) results in a body type that is closer to society's ideal than the bodies of some other people. Why should a bodybuilder forgo their sport to make others feel better but not me?

Many kinds of activity -- combined with appropriate calorie intake -- result in bodies that are widely viewed as more aethetically pleasing than the body that is the typical result of a sedentary lifestyle and an excess of calories. There's no point in focusing only on bodybuilding here.

The only reason is that marathon running is functional -- you are training your body to do something. Bodybuilding is training your body to have a certain look. The look is the purpose, not the byproduct. Not saying I agree with that, but that's the distinction.

But outside of the marathon itself, who actually *needs* to do that thing (that is, run 26.2 miles)? Why is this any less self-indulgent than training to lift heavy stuff?

Also, I don't just run. I also control my calories so I can have the look (and speed advantages) of a typical endurance runner. Yes, there is training. But there is also a specific look that I (and other runners) are trying to achieve. So again, why focus on bodybuilding?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Not everyone has as their priority an aesthetic body. Maybe their career or family is. Should they not try to advance in their career because NOT EVERYONE can attain CEO status? Or should people not marry because some people can't find a partner?

Trying to push down people from their desire to see what their God-given potential is, (in whatever ethical arena) is really a SELFISH thing to do.

It would be selfish to ban bodybuilding as a sport, but not selfish for an individual to decide that their participation in the sport was a net negative for society. That would be selfless, IMO. The debate is how we each answer that individual ethical question.

Wait, whut???

Are you actually arguing that people should let themselves get fat and unfit to spare the feelings of the people around them???
    Not at all. Just questioning whether people should go to the gym to get fit and strong, or to look good. I know there's a lot of overlap between those two things, but bodybuilding indexes on looking good.

"look good" is in the eye of the beholder. I really don't think the body of a bodybuilder is being espoused as the "ideal body" either.

Not that male bodybuilders aren't sometimes exposed to this too, but female bodybuilders tend to get a lot of blow back on the way they decide to look. You hear men talk about how they don't like women with bigger muscles than they have, women refuse to lift anything because they don't want to look like them, their gender is questioned/policed, etc . . . they're not exactly drifting along with society's beauty standards.

A quick read through the MFP forums will reveal plenty of posts by women (and even some men) wanting to get in shape who say they don't want to get "bulky". (As if that's something which 'accidentally' happens after a few weeks in the gym, but that's a different topic.)

The bodybuilder physique is far from the societal ideal. Anecdotally, I know plenty of people who think that a bodybuilder/physique competitor aesthetic is "gross" or otherwise undesirable.

I'd add that "fit shaming" should be no more acceptable or ethical than "fat shaming". Yet people who make derogatory comments about fat people often get shouted down and made to feel that they're cruel, while fit shamers more often get a pass and don't feel there's anything wrong with their opinion.

That's what I'm not getting here at all...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Not everyone has as their priority an aesthetic body. Maybe their career or family is. Should they not try to advance in their career because NOT EVERYONE can attain CEO status? Or should people not marry because some people can't find a partner?

Trying to push down people from their desire to see what their God-given potential is, (in whatever ethical arena) is really a SELFISH thing to do.

It would be selfish to ban bodybuilding as a sport, but not selfish for an individual to decide that their participation in the sport was a net negative for society. That would be selfless, IMO. The debate is how we each answer that individual ethical question.

Wait, whut???

Are you actually arguing that people should let themselves get fat and unfit to spare the feelings of the people around them???
    Not at all. Just questioning whether people should go to the gym to get fit and strong, or to look good. I know there's a lot of overlap between those two things, but bodybuilding indexes on looking good.

"look good" is in the eye of the beholder. I really don't think the body of a bodybuilder is being espoused as the "ideal body" either.

Not that male bodybuilders aren't sometimes exposed to this too, but female bodybuilders tend to get a lot of blow back on the way they decide to look. You hear men talk about how they don't like women with bigger muscles than they have, women refuse to lift anything because they don't want to look like them, their gender is questioned/policed, etc . . . they're not exactly drifting along with society's beauty standards.

A quick read through the MFP forums will reveal plenty of posts by women (and even some men) wanting to get in shape who say they don't want to get "bulky". (As if that's something which 'accidentally' happens after a few weeks in the gym, but that's a different topic.)

The bodybuilder physique is far from the societal ideal. Anecdotally, I know plenty of people who think that a bodybuilder/physique competitor aesthetic is "gross" or otherwise undesirable.

I'd add that "fit shaming" should be no more acceptable or ethical than "fat shaming". Yet people who make derogatory comments about fat people often get shouted down and made to feel that they're cruel, while fit shamers more often get a pass and don't feel there's anything wrong with their opinion.

I agree
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

In a similar vein, some women don't wear makeup for the exact same reason -- they don't want to perpetuate the physical ideals that bombard girls in magazines, and they'd rather show an alternative idea of beauty. That's their decision, and not something they're imposing on others. Selfless, not selfish.

Selfless - really? Not just a meaningless act to make themselves feel morally superior?

Or, it may be just their preference and people read into it more than they should. I never wear makeup. Reason: can't be arsed. Often times it's not a great sacrifice for the good of people at the altar of social justice, but people who care about an issue tend to see the world through their particular glasses.

But you aren't also going around saying you are purposely abstaining from makeup to show the world "an alternative idea of beauty." (Or maybe you are, I don't know you!)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

In a similar vein, some women don't wear makeup for the exact same reason -- they don't want to perpetuate the physical ideals that bombard girls in magazines, and they'd rather show an alternative idea of beauty. That's their decision, and not something they're imposing on others. Selfless, not selfish.

Selfless - really? Not just a meaningless act to make themselves feel morally superior?

Or, it may be just their preference and people read into it more than they should. I never wear makeup. Reason: can't be arsed. Often times it's not a great sacrifice for the good of people at the altar of social justice, but people who care about an issue tend to see the world through their particular glasses.

But you aren't also going around saying you are purposely abstaining from makeup to show the world "an alternative idea of beauty." (Or maybe you are, I don't know you!)

My comment was not directed at you, but at OP who sees women without makeup and assumes they're fighting the fight, just like they assume everyone who does bodybuilding does it to conform to a perceived society ideal and should feel ashamed.