Options

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Foodfavor wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good website for volume eating recipes?

Following. I typically wing it. Or I put whatever I’m eating over a massive soaked or pile of broccoli, cauliflower, roasted squash, heaps of Zoodles - or whatever seems to go.

Thats the thing about volume eating. You have to include a boat load of greens with every meal, otherwise nothing else will give you the volume that will fill you up.
    The protein choices can change all the time and here is where you would get your taste and texture but it still has to go on top of or beside a huge pile of something green.
    So as long as you look up different cooking / marinading methods for protein, you are set.

I'm a volume eater too. I have a huge salad for dinner every night. It usually has many different toppings, kind of a kitchen dink salad. I use onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, cilantro if i have it, sometimes broccoli if i want it more like a meal, feta cheese crumble, hot sauce and more hot sauce for dressing (different kinds, of course!). I like to crumble couple of multi grain tortilla chips to top it with too. I slowly phased out salad dressings to have more calories leftover for snacks. I love nuts, do i need all i csn save here. Although hummus makes a great salad topping too, so does avocado and olives. Interesting recipes for fluff here, i should try that sometimes. I don't really use protein powder anymore though, but it sounds delicious. I eat lots and lots of veggies and fruit. I love frozen mango for dessert. I don't even blend it into sorbet, just eat it frozen straight lol. We have a wonderful mango tree, so i freeze quite a bit.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »
    I just had a 1.5 pound salad and I am still hungry.

That’s why I make 5-6lb salads....and I’m not joking...I’ll show the scale....

Why in the world would you do this????
    Also, dont believe it unless you load if with heavy items.

Because I have the freedom to do so and have an insane appetite? You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want, I don’t have a prob with anyone believing me or not believing me. I weigh everything out for the sake of tracking if you’d really like me to be specific....

Seriously now... when you have that 5-6lbs salad, please post whats in it and a photo. I just dont see anyone eating that much, by weight, of a salad in one sitting.

I know, I make MASSIVE mixing bowl size salads and even those are only 2-3lbs max so I am curious to see the size lol
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »
    I just had a 1.5 pound salad and I am still hungry.

That’s why I make 5-6lb salads....and I’m not joking...I’ll show the scale....

Why in the world would you do this????
    Also, dont believe it unless you load if with heavy items.

Because I have the freedom to do so and have an insane appetite? You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want, I don’t have a prob with anyone believing me or not believing me. I weigh everything out for the sake of tracking if you’d really like me to be specific....

Seriously now... when you have that 5-6lbs salad, please post whats in it and a photo. I just dont see anyone eating that much, by weight, of a salad in one sitting.

I know, I make MASSIVE mixing bowl size salads and even those are only 2-3lbs max so I am curious to see the size lol

So do I and this is why I am now intrigued. I mean its one thing to make this bathtub salad, but something else to actually eat it in one sitting.

I don't really find it odd to eat 5-6 lbs. in one sitting. I can really put it away. I could easily fit 4 lbs. of food in my belly and not feel stuffed.

I believe @pinggolfer96 posted a pic of a huge salad several pages back.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Homemade strawberry poppyseed salad 400 cals. My 6+ lb veggie protein salad for my first meal at almost 7pm. Exactly 400 cals and macros posted!
    Sooooo many ingredients/ high volume lol!!

jwd0uq1o7gf3.jpeg
    7acvctfdkpsz.png

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Homemade strawberry poppyseed salad 400 cals. My 6+ lb veggie protein salad for my first meal at almost 7pm. Exactly 400 cals and macros posted!

jwd0uq1o7gf3.jpeg
    7acvctfdkpsz.png

I am impressed!! Haha what protein do you use? You could definitely win a 6lb salad challenge like they have for those 6lb burgers.

ct5acwi6frr8.jpeg
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Do you think I could buy a carton of egg whites and make those merengues? Do I need to use fresh from the shell eggs?

I used egg whites from the carton. It should be fine as long as the ingredients is egg whites only.

Egg-cellent.

Egg beaters dont work.

You can also make meringues with the liquid from canned garbanzo beans. The posh culinary name is aquafaba, you just drain into a bowl (use the actual beans for something else) and whisk like you would eggwhites.

This blew my mind when my vegan friend explained what was in the meringues we were eating.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    oh snap nvm
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many times to make the fluff and all I've ended up with is a pretty disgusting textured goop. I am thinking now it is my tools? I tried my Nutribullet (I accidentally bought the little one) and a stick blender and the texture both times was like lumpy snot. I have a hand mixer and a mini food processor also. I experiment then get stressed out about wasting the ingredients.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    The last time I tried to make protein fluff, it just turned into a smoothie. Still tasty, but not fluffy eat with a spoon texture. It was thick sip through a straw texture, lol. I used Simple Truth Vanilla Whey Protein Powder . And a magic bullet for my blender. I'm not sure if it was the blender, the powder or both, but it never "fluffed".
  • icemom011
    Options
    Anyone tried any of the Trader Joe's protein powder for fluff? Vegan or not? How did that work?
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many times to make the fluff and all I've ended up with is a pretty disgusting textured goop. I am thinking now it is my tools? I tried my Nutribullet (I accidentally bought the little one) and a stick blender and the texture both times was like lumpy snot. I have a hand mixer and a mini food processor also. I experiment then get stressed out about wasting the ingredients.
    I've tried making "fluff" twice and couldn't eat it both times because of the snotty texture. The ice cream is totally different and seriously the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I've never wasted a batch!
    What recipe are you following?
  • icemom011
    Options
    The last time I tried to make protein fluff, it just turned into a smoothie. Still tasty, but not fluffy eat with a spoon texture. It was thick sip through a straw texture, lol. I used Simple Truth Vanilla Whey Protein Powder . And a magic bullet for my blender. I'm not sure if it was the blender, the powder or both, but it never "fluffed".

@Crafty_camper123 , Someone here said that whey protein is touch and go, doesn't always work, maybe that's part of it? I'm just trying to learn, sounds interesting but never made it yet.
  • icemom011
    edited August 2018
    Options
    z46d9efbya3r.jpg
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

jwd0uq1o7gf3.jpeg
    7acvctfdkpsz.png

I am impressed!! Haha what protein do you use? You could definitely win a 6lb salad challenge like they have for those 6lb burgers.

ct5acwi6frr8.jpeg

I’m the type of person that can put down 8-10 full plates of food at a buffet. I won’t an 7lb calzone challenge in 30 mins which is HEARTY so if there are doubts of me finishing a 6lb salad.....that’s child’s play lol

Nice, nice!
    That's my salad last night, 800 g in total. And i thought that i eat a lot, lol!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

@Crafty_camper123 , Someone here said that whey protein is touch and go, doesn't always work, maybe that's part of it? I'm just trying to learn, sounds interesting but never made it yet.

It very well may be. Maybe I'll try it again in the full size blender, and that may answer my question. Worst case? I'll have a large batch smoothie I suppose... The protein powder I use is pretty basic for ingredients, but it does have xanthan gum in it. Does that really matter? Other then casein, what other powders work well for this? I hate to go buy anything new, they're pretty pricey! But I could go buy sample packets and try a few different kinds.
  • Crafty_camper123
    edited August 2018
    Options

There is your problem. These are not powerfil blenders and before the ice is crushed they start melting it.
    Get a decent food processor for best results or a high powered blender like Vitamix.

That makes sense. I'll have to try my full size blender that I never use and see how that does. I'm not quite ready to invest in a Ninja, Vitamix or the like yet. It is on my want list, but I'm afraid to buy a 200$ dust collector, lol. I thought of crushing the ingredients in a blender, and then whipping it in the kitchen aid stand mixer. But it sounds like I may run into the same problem with the ice melting and it not fluffing?
  • icemom011
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I have recently come to the conclusion that volume eating is best suited for me. Eating mainly vegetarian means I can eat copious amounts of food and stay in my calorie goal. Are there others out there who do the same? Let's exchange ideas. Here is what I ate today:

Breakfast, large shake with 2 cups spinach, almond milk, protein powder ice and water. Plus a slice of flax bread with almond butter and a sliced zucinni.

Lunch - one bag steamed frozen broccoli, 2 diced peppers, sprinkle of nuts and raisins

Snack- Apple, orange and cantaloupe

Dinner- 2 large zuchinni, one large onion, two packages portobello mushrooms cooked in vegetable broth and 1tbs butter, edited to add 3oz tempeh

Dessert - one cup almond milk with 3 tbs chia seeds (chia pudding) and 1/2 scoop protein powder

This was a LOT of food and I was happily full (not overstuffed) at every meal.

I find eating this way keeps me from snacking -- or worse binging. I finally broke through a 6 month plateau.

But it does make eating out difficult unless you have a mini-meal before or after. Anyone have any thoughts on this eating style?

But the farts...

Hahaha, yes, it comes with the price!
  • icemom011
    Options

There is your problem. These are not powerfil blenders and before the ice is crushed they start melting it.
    Get a decent food processor for best results or a high powered blender like Vitamix.

I have Vitamix, but it's heating up food? Do you start with ice cubes or crush ice with it first znd then add protein?
  • icemom011
    Options
    What about the plant based protein, pea, hemp, soy? Any of that would work or it has to be whey?