Metabolic Suppression, Global Warming, and Sasquatch,.....Which one is real?

Options
13»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why do people get fat then? Why does this only kick in when people try to lose weight?

I have only gained very large amounts of weight in my adult life because of medications that totally altered my appetite, metabolism, cravings and satiety levels. I only gained about 20 or so lbs during pregnancy but certain psych meds, antipsychotics, contributed to my gaining over 120 lbs in a few months.

But if "set point" is a thing, why didn't your body fight against gaining that weight? Why would it only fight someone trying to lose weight?

I figured it was because meds like those change your set point. Simple as that.

But if your set point can be changed, is it really a set point? You gained weight due to exactly what you said - the meds changed your appetite and satiety, and perhaps slightly affected your metabolism (I have no idea if this is true or not). The idea of set point is that your body has a weight it mysteriously wants to keep you at, regardless of what you do. What you are describing isn't set point then.
  • sidcorsini
    sidcorsini Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback and opinions here. There is more wisdom, and humour here than in 90% of the rubbish I see in the online 'fitness' industry. Blessings to you all and good health.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I dont think it’s a real thing. I feel like it’s human nature to over-eat. So our “set point” would be really fat. If it were real.
  • sidcorsini
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I dont think it’s a real thing. I feel like it’s human nature to over-eat. So our “set point” would be really fat. If it were real.

Due to environment (I think), there are cultures of folks who are more efficient in their usage of calories, and when they later populate a calorie-rich environment like the 1st world, they balloon like Orson Wells or Lt. Riker (John Frakes). But in short, I think you are right. Cheers.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    quicksilver, I think if you understand anything, Willing to loose, Needed the medication had she not, she would not be in the situation she has found herself with the weight, though she would probably be very ill, it becomes no choice really. An unfortunate side effect of many medications is unwanted weight gain, please include steroids on the list.

All the very best, Willing to loose, sorry it takes more than it does for the average Jo.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I’m still pulling for Bigfoot

Sasquatch is definitely real. If anyone doesn't believe me I can show them my legs on the first day of spring after not shaving them all winter. I could be a body double for Chewbacca in that department. :wink:
  • sidcorsini
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I’m still pulling for Bigfoot

Sasquatch is definitely real. If anyone doesn't believe me I can show them my legs on the first day of spring after not shaving them all winter. I could be a body double for Chewbacca in that department. :wink:

Though not named 'Patty', she is real. On reasonably good authority, I was told that Patty passed about 10 years ago. She will be continually missed.
    xlpjzyelf1lf.jpg
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Of all the options given, I've seen the most evidence for Bigfoot. My husband wears size 16 shoes. He *says* his family are just big (as in tall, not fat), but I've seen his mom and dad and sister. They're all Sasquatch.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why do people get fat then? Why does this only kick in when people try to lose weight?

I have only gained very large amounts of weight in my adult life because of medications that totally altered my appetite, metabolism, cravings and satiety levels. I only gained about 20 or so lbs during pregnancy but certain psych meds, antipsychotics, contributed to my gaining over 120 lbs in a few months.

But if "set point" is a thing, why didn't your body fight against gaining that weight? Why would it only fight someone trying to lose weight?

I have mentioned a number of times on this thread that I personally had the experience of maintaining the same weight for over ten years with no tracking and plenty of times where I must have been going over tdee, but I wasn't doing it extremely or consistently so it simply wasn't affecting my weight. I'm a mere 5-6 lbs more (gained during pregnancy) yet I haven't been able to lose them for two years in spite of tracking and eating less than I did then. If I haven't gotten pregnant, I would have most likely still been maintaining the same weight as before. Likewise I know a number of people who are thin and remain that way in spite of never tracking, not exercising, and eating whatever they want in whatever amounts they want and never gaining. So the body does fight against gaining as well. We're just evolutionary more predisposed towards preserving energy rather than spending. People who do gain large amounts of weight with no medical issues are generally those who overeat in large amounts, ignoring natural hunger and satiety signals; if you watch shows like 600 Lb life, most of them have severe emotional issues they self-medicate with food. If you give the body a consistent large surplus or large deficit, weight will of course move. Yet for the majority of people, it stays stable for years without tracking at all, which says something for the body wanting to maintain a weight (notice I said 'a weight' - not any specific weight, but the given weight the body is at right now). And for those who have lost a large amount of weight, there are mechanisms such as increased hunger and decreased metabolic rate which work to try and regain, as they've said about Biggest Loser participants. I've also heard the theory mentioned above that fat cells can be formed but can't be removed, only shrunk, and fat cells produce hormones such as leptin that influence hunger.

Most obese people didn't get there by eating 100-200 calories a day over maintenance. Nor are you likely to lose weight on that much of a deficit (measurement issues aside, let's assume we can measure perfectly). The body makes subtle adjustments to make up for the minor fluctuations in intake that pretty much all of us have daily.

Actually, yes, most obese people DID get there by eating 100-200 calories a day over maintenance. It doesn't take that much for slow but steady weight creep.

Then, at some point, their weight stabilizes at the obese weight where their intake and activity normalizes.

A poster on here calculated her weight gain at one point, and realized that she had only been eating 75 extra calories a day.

Hey, I can do that as well! Gained 14kg over 14 years, thus 1kg pretty much steadily per year. That's a mere 19kcal over maintenance every year again. Thus my maintenance went up a tiny amount, but so did my overeating. It's really that simple. Ok, it was probably more than that as I was a lot more active than before I gained weight. So...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Could reaching/creating a "set point" be equal to hitting a plateau? A point at which the body resists loosing any more weight even when the person is holding themselves accountable, (Why delude yourself) weighing all foods including liquids like milk, etc, and logging everything religiously, after all we are built to be prepared for a famine. May be, the whoosh of weight loss some say they experience at the end of their plateau happens when the body gives in and finally agrees, there was a little more weight which it could safely sacrifice. Till the next plateau. All this weight-loss business assumes every single body works perfectly well all the time with no glitches. IMV.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    OP, I think bf set point is a real thing. Now I also believe that environment and society we live in effects this. We have become a culture that wants everything now with as little ease as we can get it. I ate my way up to 400 lbs through being a hedonic/binge eater. I now weigh 178 as of this am. I do find myself hungrier than I used to with less satiety. I am driven to seek calorie dense food. Now wether that is my fat cells, my hypothalamus, or just the recovering hedonic eater? I am not sure. I do know that i maintain on less calories than would be expected for my size, though this is individual at best. I know I burn about 70 cals a mile walking give or take. Less than what would be expected, though still individual. Kind of lines up with Liebels studies though. The one exception to all the line ups is my NEAT. I find myself far more well let's say antsie? Could be food seeking behavior or just the way I always was. As far as Bigfoot? Well there was a giant ape that roamed the earth long ago, A. Giganticas. Now extinct. Though, several species have returned from the fossil record. I am doubtful of this with this species. Even if so, the only giant ape probably running around the North West US, is probably a Seattle native. Global warming. Well i would not call it that, but a shift in climate? Yes. Man made or natural? I'm think both. We might be in a natural warming cycle that is being made worse by human activity.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Wanted to add something I forgot. In lost much of my weight very rapidly. I mean not quite biggest loser style, but quick. I also got sub 9% bf. I am wonder if this is why i have some of my issues. Maybe both. I received horrible dietary advice from my doctor. Lesson learned. I have been at a slllooowww lean bulk for about 4 months. Well, I have had a high of 184lbs... post going out for a sodium bomb, carb heavy meal, and a low of 176. Still technically what some people would call maintanace for a year. Sorry for the rant. Anyways, i go back to the idea that there i believe there is a range of bf we like to hang out at. What that is, is different for all of us. I find it really hard... yes I know, pick your hard...to maintain this low bf and weight. Will it be easier 25lbs heavier at 16-20% bf? Only one way to find out! Now the body fighting weight gain in a non weight reduced person. Well, yes. We tend to forget that there was a time when humans were not APEX predators. We had to run from scary stuff. Would only make sense to me that if we could not run and climb a tree, being overweight would be the least of our problems.