Keto Foodies?

Options
13»

Replies

• emlyfen
    emlyfen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am Keto! I LOVE it. 13 days and down 12.4 lbs! I also combine Intermittent Fasting.

I do IF too; I basically did before starting so that was a super easy thing to transition to. I tried making a pizza today that came out nothing bad at all just not the same as bread; I’m actually going to experiment with yeast; I was a baker before I started but there are so many alternatives I haven’t actually had any carb cravings so far.

Kudos on that <3

Oh you should be good and changing up reg recipes and making them keto!!! Let us know if u find/make any easy and good ones!! please!!!
  • FromFatso2Fit
    FromFatso2Fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi; recently joined MFP to start tracking macros; I’m looking for all the Keto Foodies to share recipe results with; as I become more acclimated to the lifestyle I’m for sure going to be doing some experiments in the kitchen!
    Anyone else love food and staying Keto?

I am doing Keto version...2000 calories max...Under 20 carbs.High fat and protein,along with a 16/8 intermediate fast..Down 15# in the first 9 days..257
  • FromFatso2Fit
    FromFatso2Fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi; recently joined MFP to start tracking macros; I’m looking for all the Keto Foodies to share recipe results with; as I become more acclimated to the lifestyle I’m for sure going to be doing some experiments in the kitchen!
    Anyone else love food and staying Keto?
    xMikeh wrote: »
    I'm a week into Keto now, I haven't weighed myself or anything, but truth be told I'm kind of struggling to be able to meet some of the protien/fat/fiber counts. I too am doing IF!

Meat meat meat..I eat a 12 ounce Angus steak and get 93 protein and 50 fat at 800 calories...Add 4 eggs and your at over 100 protein and 60 fat with under 1000 calories for 1 meal..Leaves ya with another 1000 meal for the day and half the fat and protein needed..
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been doing keto just slightly over 3 months, and as of this morning am down 34 lbs. I am also dairy-free. I don't count net carbs, but try to stay under 30 total carbs a day.

Don't be discouraged if you aren't seeing weight drop steadily. I tend to have a drop, then nothing for a week or two, then another big drop. I think it's probably the "whoosh effect". But your body will definitely change, even on weeks the scale doesn't move.

As far as food, yes, the "fried" chicken using pork rinds as coating is really yummy! To raise my fat, I'll snack on celery dipped in guacamole - Sabra makes single serving containers. Breakfast for me is usually eggs, with either bacon or sliced pepperoni, and a handful of grape tomatoes. For lunches, I love a big Cobb salad, or I'll have leftovers. For dinner, the proteins vary, but usually eaten with a salad or vegetable. Veggies are almost always sauteed in olive oil. I eat a lot of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower rice, and mushrooms.

Keto Connect, and Headbanger's Kitchen are both on YouTube, and have some great recipes. I really like Keto Connect's butter chicken one, but I sub coconut cream for the heavy cream to cut out most of the dairy. Coconut cream is also good mixed with a little stevia and eaten over sliced strawberries.
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    For any of you dealing with keto flu, it means your electrolytes are off. Add some sea salt to your meals, or take potassium and magnesium supplements, and you will feel MUCH better!
  • brneydgrlie
    Options
    New to keto, but have been low carb for 15 years... Is anyone else having cramps in their legs and feet?

You are magnesium and potassium deficient if you are having cramps.
  • SusannO
    SusannO Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Foodie here too! My favorite bread alternatives come from gnom gnom. I tried fathead pizza and some of the other breads that are like thin scrambled eggs and wasn't satisfied. gnom gnom has tortillas that taste legit! Yeast-based pizza that is tasty. She is a baker that has reformulated recipes for keto. I highly recommend her site.

It can be easy to overeat protein, ala Atkins, when starting keto. Protein turns into sugar, so you want to limit it to 10-20% of your daily macros. I do 20-50g of carbs daily, and still stay in ketosis. I don't count calories, but MFP shows me I'm eating 900-2000 cals per day. It swings a lot. I eat until I'm satisfied. I thought I was fasting 16 by drinking just coffee with a wee bit of cream in the AM, but I'm pretty sure the cream is breaking my fast. So it's more like 13 hours of fasting for me. Efficacy of fasting seems to be best from 16-18 hrs from what I've read, but I love my creamed coffee. =)

For those trying to add fat, it's tempting to do it with meat, but I find butter and olive oil taste great and will help you. You also need to up your vegie game. Early on your brain will still be craving sugar-inducing foods like bread, noodles, rice, and sweets. I loved carb foods and thought I would be in torture while I was in keto for the 3 months I planned to do it. Now I plan to stay on it for life and people can eat all those things in front of me and I don't crave them like I used to. I crave olive oil misted, oven-crisped brusselsprouts with melted butter drizzled over at the end now haha! One cup of popped popcorn with melted butter and salt is 4g of carbs. If my carb count has been low, I'll eat a few cups which is great for adding fat and happiness at the end of my eating window.

Lastly, really watch your sodium, magnesium and potassium. You get lots of good stuff from spinach so add it to your salads, wraps, whatever. Morton 'lite' blue salt has potassium so I do one quick shake of it into my water mug. Sodium is easy. I don't find I need to add a tsp to my water and drink it like some sites recommend. Just salt your foods and some meats have high sodium already. Even salt your salads. Magnesium I bought a supplement. I use the magnesium malate form because the common citrate form is a laxative, as is the other 2 forms.

Best of luck to you my fellow keto-ers! KCKO!
  • rachgh3
    rachgh3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ekanesther wrote: »
    This is my first day on the Keto diet. Hopefully I am able to sustain it. A little support will go a long way. Thanks

Hey!! I'm almost 2 weeks got a bit wayward almost 7 days in but think I'm ok now! Il add you!! Xx
  • MotherTruckerKeto
    MotherTruckerKeto Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am Keto! I LOVE it. 13 days and down 12.4 lbs!
    Kudos on that <3

Awesome job there. Let me know how the yeast thing goes, I’m experimenting as well.

I made fat head Izzy dough this morning & it was pretty yummy even though I thought it would be a dud!
  • MotherTruckerKeto
    MotherTruckerKeto Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pizza dough. Damn auto spell
  • taliasmalls
    taliasmalls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add coconut milk and heavy whipping cream into my morning coffee. I make fat bombs by melting unsweetened chocolate chips into coconut oil and allow the mixture to solidify. Once it’s hardened, it’s able to be cut into pieces so it’s like candied fat. Obviously I’m careful with how many chocolate chips I use, but it helps with cravings. It tastes just like an almond joy!

You can do this with sugar free nut butters as well :)
  • CaitMinusWeight
    CaitMinusWeight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the first real thing I've come across for Keto! I love all of this! I started a Keto Support Group
    here on My Fitness Pal because I wasn't finding anything here about Keto except for skeptical articles. I love all these posts! Keep up the good work everyone and thanks for the delicious ideas! :yum:
  • Broadbean40
    Broadbean40 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's my first day on keto today and I've ramped my exercise up
    Looking forward to trying this method of eating to see if it works but gonna miss fruit .... any tips??
  • barefootboatnik
    barefootboatnik Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread so far! I've been thinking a lot about transitioning over to keto. I've been more or less doing low carb since last fall, and have been able to lose nearly 50lbs thus far, but I've sorta stalled. I wasn't really following a specific plan, per se.. my weaknesses have always been breads, pasta, & sweets, so I just cut that out. My carb intake varies from 30g-75g per day, but I think I need to start being more proactive in tracking and planning my meals. I'll definitely be watching this thread for recipes, and thanks much for the info & inspiration!
  • DChelseaNYC
    DChelseaNYC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am Keto! I LOVE it. 13 days and down 12.4 lbs! I also combine Intermittent Fasting.

Hey! I just started Keto about 2 weeks ago, and have been doing pretty well but no major drops on the scale. I feel a bit less bloated though, and overall have more energy. Any advise re: intermittent fasting in terms of how long, or any other advice? Thank you!
  • Lala_LowCarbie
    Lala_LowCarbie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I enjoy trying alternative recipes to foods I would normally crave, that way I don't feel so deprived. I've purchased a zuchini spiralator to make zoodles when I'm craving pasta. I also make cookies about once a wk or so and have made hotdog twists, cheddar bay biscuits, and 2 min burger buns so far and I'm loving it! I tried a few mug cakes but so far all have come out dry af lol anyone got a good mug cake recipe?
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just had to become a member about a week ago. I gotta admit, I was a serious doubter of keto before I got diagnosed for high insulin levels. And then a search on the internet revealed that I should be eating a low carb diet to help get it back under control. So... with that, I decided to try doing keto for a little while. I'm not sure if it's my medicine, or the diet, or a combination of both, but I've lost about 7 lbs in the first week alone. I thought I'd be miserable, not getting to eat bread and cakes and stuff, but I haven't actually had a problem. I thought I'd hate cauliflower rice because it's "so fad", but it actually tastes very good. Consider me humbled indeed. I'm also still looking for tips to replace carbs with fat as well. And I gotta say, a 1200 calorie diet with carbs never used to make me feel full, But with the high fat content I can actually last the hours in between meals just fine. I'm keeping at 15% carbs right now. It's a bit on the high side but I think it's a nice balance right now since I can still have something to get rid of my cravings if I need it.
  • Lajtga30
    Lajtga30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to Keto!!! Recipes would be appreciated!!!