Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• djh1980
    djh1980 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello fellow Atkins friends. I have just begun. This is day 4 and ive lost 4 lbs I am soo excited. I want to lose 40 lbs. I was a carbaholic so my body is withdrawing. But its okay ill manage. I am so glad to find you all on here I am the only person I know starting to live an atkins life. I do have a constant headache but I am sure overtime it will fade. I used to drink a ton of sugared drinks and soda so that is probably why. Id love for you all to add me as a friend for support, and offer up any non veggie recipes you have. Thanks so much. :laugh:
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Welcome djh!

The headaches will go away. I had stomach/head aches and brain fog for the first 2 weeks. It's been about a month, and I don't have any more side effects, other than feeling full when I eat, and weight loss. =)
  • chelscc
    chelscc Posts: 29
    Options
    HAHAHA. I've been wondering why I've had headaches! Welcome!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins-ish Low Carb since late April and that's where 60+ of my loss comes from. It doesn't even feel like a diet anymore, which is the whole point I guess...it's my new life.

The scale got stuck and I tried Dukan for 4 days (till yesterday) and it was NOT for me. I haven't felt so lethargic in a long time...since before I started LC at least. Fat (in our food at least ;) ) is our friend.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Week one of induction is done, with no cheating and I lost 7 lbs WOO HOO!
  • chelscc
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins-ish Low Carb since late April and that's where 60+ of my loss comes from. It doesn't even feel like a diet anymore, which is the whole point I guess...it's my new life.

The scale got stuck and I tried Dukan for 4 days (till yesterday) and it was NOT for me. I haven't felt so lethargic in a long time...since before I started LC at least. Fat (in our food at least ;) ) is our friend.

Wow, 75 lbs is amazing! Gives me hope I can actually stick with it long term this time. I just had the talk with my fiance about how this has to be a lifestyle if we want to keep our weight down. He wasn't to happy, but I'm hoping in a month he will not be craving as much so he will be happier.
  • chelscc
    Options

Congrats! The first few weeks are always the toughest with any change!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

THANKS! Suprisingly, I've found that it is a lot easier than when I was living a WW lifestyle a few years ago. Now, I never feel like I'm starving or craving for anything. I can't think of one time this week where I was dying for my next meal lol. I have, however, realized that I haven't been making the healthiest choices though. I think this week I'm going to focus on eating lean meats and making sure my fats come from healthy sources too. I ate a lot of bacon and cheese ha ha ha. I feel like it kind of weighs me down, even though I am losing weight.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Can we have tofu on Atkins?? I'm assuming yes since it's a good source of protein. But Paleo and Primal don't like soy products. So I haven't been eating it. But I love it sliced and fried. Think it would be awesome fried in coconut oil. Yummy. I'm starving right now! Time to get a snack!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have, however, realized that I haven't been making the healthiest choices though. I think this week I'm going to focus on eating lean meats and making sure my fats come from healthy sources too. I ate a lot of bacon and cheese ha ha ha. I feel like it kind of weighs me down, even though I am losing weight.
    Good decision! There is so much sodium in cheese and bacon (and deli meats, too) that you're probably retaining water, which might be why you feel weighed down. If you haven't tried the MIM yet (earlier in this thread), add it to your arsenal.
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

THANKS! Suprisingly, I've found that it is a lot easier than when I was living a WW lifestyle a few years ago. Now, I never feel like I'm starving or craving for anything. I can't think of one time this week where I was dying for my next meal lol. I have, however, realized that I haven't been making the healthiest choices though. I think this week I'm going to focus on eating lean meats and making sure my fats come from healthy sources too. I ate a lot of bacon and cheese ha ha ha. I feel like it kind of weighs me down, even though I am losing weight.

Good for you!! Keep it up! You certainly won't see 7 lbs losses every week, so don't get discouraged.

I buy uncured bacon. It's a little more expensive, but I don't feel any guilt. No nitrates or preservatives. And so yummy! Cheese weighs me down too. But I love it and still eat it all the time :)

By the way, the little boy in your ticker is freaking adorable!!! I just wanna eat him up! LOL!
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

Good for you!! Keep it up! You certainly won't see 7 lbs losses every week, so don't get discouraged.

I buy uncured bacon. It's a little more expensive, but I don't feel any guilt. No nitrates or preservatives. And so yummy! Cheese weighs me down too. But I love it and still eat it all the time :)

By the way, the little boy in your ticker is freaking adorable!!! I just wanna eat him up! LOL!

Oh wait, I just realized the picture is a little girl. Well, still feel the same way! Beyond cute!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

Oh wait, I just realized the picture is a little girl. Well, still feel the same way! Beyond cute!
    [/quote]

Thanks! She just turned three last month *tears*. She is a great motivator though. She literally cheers me on when I'm doing my home exercises. Then she'll try to participate. THEN, if anyone comes to the door, she'll yell out "LOOK AT MY MOMMY, SHE IS DOING EXERCISE!!!"
  • Cici2329
    Cici2329 Posts: 35
    Options
    This is a great thread. I really enjoy all the comments, tips, etc.

Cici
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

Thanks! She just turned three last month *tears*. She is a great motivator though. She literally cheers me on when I'm doing my home exercises. Then she'll try to participate. THEN, if anyone comes to the door, she'll yell out "LOOK AT MY MOMMY, SHE IS DOING EXERCISE!!!"
    [/quote]
    END QUOTE

CUTE!!!!!!!
  • Michelle_Iowa
    Michelle_Iowa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too used to say I'd never be able to do low-carb. I decided to just try an experiment for a few weeks to see. The thing that really made a huge difference to me is that by increasing my fat intake (omg, Blue Cheese dressing and almonds!), I can lose/maintain without being hungry, and that is so new to me, that it makes it possible to give up BREAD, which I LOVE!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I too used to say I'd never be able to do low-carb. I decided to just try an experiment for a few weeks to see. The thing that really made a huge difference to me is that by increasing my fat intake (omg, Blue Cheese dressing and almonds!), I can lose/maintain without being hungry, and that is so new to me, that it makes it possible to give up BREAD, which I LOVE!

I started doing low carb as an experiment too! I was eating low calorie/low fat and doing very intense workouts 5-7 times/week. this went on for 2 months straight with very little progress... and I was starving!

Being filipino, I ate rice with EVERYTHING, and always thought I couldn't feel full if I didn't eat it. After 2 weeks in, I had great results (with working out less), and I feel satisfied with eating smaller meals.
  • Cici2329
    Cici2329 Posts: 35
    Options
    Anyone using Atkins/low-carb to lose the last 5-10 pounds? Or have thoughts on this as a strategy?

Cici
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anyone using Atkins/low-carb to lose the last 5-10 pounds? Or have thoughts on this as a strategy?

Cici
    I only have about 5 or 10 left to lose. While I fully endorse the Atkins lifestyle, I'm not strictly following it myself because I can't eat too much fat after having my gallbladder out in December. I'm only wiling to put up with the "side effects" of a high fat diet for a little while so this will be temporary to help me bust a plateau.

All of that said, you can give it a try, but there's no guarantee you won't gain the weight back after you reach your goal weight and resume eating carbs.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    SO...after 6 months of strict no cheating, I had bad carbs over the weekend. I'm not beating myself up, and I didn't gain anything, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it will take me to get back into ketosis? I'm back to strict Induction again. Thanks!