Did you lose hair while losing weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Okay, so I tried to do a bit of math.

I checked the average calories in the weekly view for over 6 weeks, added and averaged, and (the last 7 days = 1418, July 27- Aug2 =1237, July 20-26 = 1480, July 13-19 = 1306, July 6-12 = 1349, June 29 - July 5 = 1394) and that gives me an average Actual Intake of 1364cals/day.

Which is less than 100cal under my current "goal" but not it exactly. But that would mean I should be at less than 1/2 lb extra in my loss rate, which it isn't. This 6 weeks is also pretty consistent, if I go further back it swings more dramatically. So I'll just work with this for now.

So following AnnPT77's calculations, I should consider that my base of losing at 1.7lb/week rate. 1370 = 1.7lb/week loss. If I add 250, it should be a 1/2lb slower. So 1620cal/day should be closer to a 1.2lb/week loss rate.

But as I've previously discussed, I'm Super Nervous about getting that red indication on my diary, so I'm probably going to shoot under anyway. And 1.2 is still higher than my goal of a reasonable 1lb/week. So 250/2 = 125cal should be 1/4lb, so if I add 125 +1620 = 1745cal/day for a 0.95lb/week loss. Maybe I would just round that to the middle ground of 1700?

Gosh a jump from 1420 *ahem* excuse me, Actually 1364cal/day to 1700 sounds like a TON. I remember for my first few weeks back logging on MFP I had it set to maintenance and that was like 18-something. Maybe I'll go with a 16-something number so it's less weird. 1680? So that it's just a little higher than the Actual goal of 1620 so I can actually hit it/go over it sometimes without freaking out. Bleh math is weird lmao. I tried. I have to be up in less than 6 hours..... :neutral: lol.

But I feel like I should share so other people can check my math XD
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Just a small update - giving myself permission to eat more feels a little like I've opened the floodgates and I'm feeling much hungrier than I've felt in a while. Like I'm nearly at my 1590cal goal for the day, but I might eat more now. Thinking that's probably okay considering. And I did just buy a whole slew of clothes so I don't mind staying here a while. I've also started taking a multi, picked one up today and I'm keeping it in my bag to take with lunch. I feel like upping calories & taking a multi is a good proactive approach, even though no results have come back yet.

I really appreciate all of the guidance, so thank you again.

My weeks eating at maintenance 'wake the beast' so to speak. I'm far hungrier than when I'm in my usual deficit for the first few days! Hang in there and enjoy the extra food. It's great to see you analyzing and responding :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Just a small update - giving myself permission to eat more feels a little like I've opened the floodgates and I'm feeling much hungrier than I've felt in a while. Like I'm nearly at my 1590cal goal for the day, but I might eat more now. Thinking that's probably okay considering. And I did just buy a whole slew of clothes so I don't mind staying here a while. I've also started taking a multi, picked one up today and I'm keeping it in my bag to take with lunch. I feel like upping calories & taking a multi is a good proactive approach, even though no results have come back yet.

I really appreciate all of the guidance, so thank you again.

My weeks eating at maintenance 'wake the beast' so to speak. I'm far hungrier than when I'm in my usual deficit for the first few days! Hang in there and enjoy the extra food. It's great to see you analyzing and responding :smile:

Agreed. It's almost like breaking open a dam when those calories increase.
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same hair loss and eating 1400 cals/day. don't have the energy to exercise/walk or prep or cook. Afraid to add in cals because i will gain. Not sure how many grams of protein i am taking in but less than 20 carbs
  • kiela64
    Options
    atkhorses wrote: »
    I'm experiencing the same hair loss and eating 1400 cals/day. don't have the energy to exercise/walk or prep or cook. Afraid to add in cals because i will gain. Not sure how many grams of protein i am taking in but less than 20 carbs

Friend if your energy is suffering that badly please eat more. That’s scary! Take care of yourself ❤️
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Eat carbs. You’ll feel so much better.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hair loss doesn't show up immediately.

Your current weight loss of less than 2lbs a week implies that your earlier weight loss was much more than 2lbs a week to arrive at an average of about 2lbs a week over the past 18 weeks.

Which is fast for someone who is not over 300lbs.

So just take it easy. And don't be surprised if caloric restriction had something to do with it

Okay, thanks. To be fair to the math, my initial high weight could be very off, which is why I always say "about" even though I have this number. I weighed in at the gym on a rickety old upright scale that seemed accurate-ish but with shoes/clothes and definitely after drinking and eating in the day. MFP says I would need to eat below 1200/day to lose 2lb/week. I do not think that happened. My logging is fairly consistent except at restaurant meals, and those days are over anyway. I'm also still obese, even if I was never 300lbs. I was "class 2 obese" according to the chart. Now I'm class 1.

How tall are you, OP? And even if your logging is tight and on-point, if you’re exercising and not eating back at least half of those calories, that could account for a higher than average deficit.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I’m late to the game, obviously. :blush: Great job giving advice, great job taking advice and YAY!!! Solution determined and plan created. :smiley:
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was losing lots of hair when I was gaining weight and now I’ve been losing for over two months, it’s growing in better than it has in years.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Your current weight loss of less than 2lbs a week implies that your earlier weight loss was much more than 2lbs a week to arrive at an average of about 2lbs a week over the past 18 weeks.

So just take it easy. And don't be surprised if caloric restriction had something to do with it

Okay, thanks. To be fair to the math, my initial high weight could be very off, which is why I always say "about" even though I have this number. I weighed in at the gym on a rickety old upright scale that seemed accurate-ish but with shoes/clothes and definitely after drinking and eating in the day. MFP says I would need to eat below 1200/day to lose 2lb/week. I do not think that happened. My logging is fairly consistent except at restaurant meals, and those days are over anyway. I'm also still obese, even if I was never 300lbs. I was "class 2 obese" according to the chart. Now I'm class 1.

How tall are you, OP? And even if your logging is tight and on-point, if you’re exercising and not eating back at least half of those calories, that could account for a higher than average deficit.

5’2” and no exercise. I track my steps at work and log it as 2.0mph walking for 5min per 1000 steps (an estimate someone on the forums helped me with because my tracker doesn’t sync properly). I usually eat that back, if not the day of within the week.
  • atkhorses
    Options

Friend if your energy is suffering that badly please eat more. That’s scary! Take care of yourself ❤️

How tall are you, OP? And even if your loggin,g is tight and on-point, if you’re exercising and not eating back at least half of those calories, that could account for a higher than average deficit.

5’2” and no exercise. I track my steps at work and log it as 2.0mph walking for 5min per 1000 steps (an estimate someone on the forums helped me with because my tracker doesn’t sync properly). I usually eat that back, if not the day of within the week.

Maybe this is my body's way of telling me that this is the weight I should maintain. Even though the number on the scale has been lower and that made me feel happier. I know the scale should not rule! Now to add back carbs without gaining what I've lost. This seems to be the problem. And that is even with adding in good carbs: avacados, handful of almonds, on a rare occassion, sweet potato. I am trying to stay gluten free due to hashimoto. Would love your thoughts......
  • atkhorses
    Options

Eat carbs. You’ll feel so much better.

thank you, I replied to Keila and would love y our thoughts as well!
  • kiela64
    Options

How tall are you, OP? And even if your loggin,g is tight and on-point, if you’re exercising and not eating back at least half of those calories, that could account for a higher than average deficit.

Maybe this is my body's way of telling me that this is the weight I should maintain. Even though the number on the scale has been lower and that made me feel happier. I know the scale should not rule! Now to add back carbs without gaining what I've lost. This seems to be the problem. And that is even with adding in good carbs: avacados, handful of almonds, on a rare occassion, sweet potato. I am trying to stay gluten free due to hashimoto. Would love your thoughts......

If you have an illness that requires dietary restrictions then I really think working with your doctor and a registered dietitian would be the best way. That might help address energy issues too.
  • atkhorses
    Options

If you have an illness that requires dietary restrictions then I really think working with your doctor and a registered dietitian would be the best way. That might help address energy issues too.

Kiela, that is a great idea. Just went to a session yesterday from our United Healthcare rep. They have free consultations with a dietitian as part of the plan. I think I'll log on with them to get an answer. I've been told to also follow the DASH diet, but am hesitant bc it adds in fruit carbs and I will gain. I'll let you know how it goes
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    DASH diet is amazing. My sister has had great results and is still losing weight while lowering her blood pressure.