Tips from our vegetarian losers?

Options
Weight losers that is... ;)

I'm curious about trying out a vegetarian diet for a bit just to see how I feel on it. Im a prety big meat lover so ive never given it a shot before. I want to have a focus on keeping protein levels up and I do still have weight loss as a goal (no i dont think vegetarianism is going to magically cause weight loss outside of normal CICO - i just like following specific programs)

So my veggie eating friends - what's your one pro tip? What recipe or food do you especially find is your go to? Any tips for a total vegetarian noob?

Replies

• mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I agree, beans are great. If you don't like them because you find them mushy (I hate most beans for that reason) try black beans, they are smaller and firmer, I really those. Same goes for chickpeas, they are usually firmer and even a bit dry.

I love chickpea curry, that's always a hit in my house.

For black beans, one of my easiest and yet most successfull recipe is homemade burrito bowl: Sauté onion until soft, add a can of rince black bean and an equal amount of diced tomatoes. let simmer until most of the juice has evaporated. You can add spices like chili powder, garlec powder, etc. And I serve that on top of a big bowl of lettuce, some rice, corn, diced tomatoes, avocado, roasted veggies, etc. It's really good and quite filling.

Lentils are also really easy. Split red lentils are my favorite, they make great soup.

I also often just eat carbs and veggie, like veggie pizza, sauteed potatoes and veggies, etc. but I never ate a lot of protein so I personnaly don't get hungry to fast, but that doesn't work for every one.

Good luck!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Number one tip: Beans. They're amazing little protein/fiber nuggets, incredibly affordable, easy to prepare (slow cook the dry ones or buy canned to have beans immediately), and they fit into so many dishes. Bean burritos, chili, Italian pasta and beans, hummus, falafel, chickpea curry, lentil soup, black bean soup, navy bean soup, bean salad, chickpea salad sandwiches, bbq baked beans . . . I think you get the idea.

Awesome. Ok thanks - I use canned beans now but have never worked with dry ones so I will do some research on that. Like - can I cook them ahead of time and just store in the fridge? And how long will they keep? Anyhoe - in sure I can google that all. :)
  • rhinestoneradio
    rhinestoneradio Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip is to focus on fiber! Most people get plenty of protein, but not near enough fiber - plus it keeps you full! One of my favorite 'recipes' right now is to roast/air fry a variety of veggies (this week is mini tricolor potatoes, zucchini, carrots, brussel sprouts, and onions) and serve over lettuce with a hummus dressing (2T hummus, lemon juice, smoked paprika, whole grain mustard, water to thin it out). I can have a HUGE bowl of this stuff for lunch for under 350 calories.

If you're really focused on protein, try things like TVP, tofu, and tempeh. If you have a vegan/veggie restaurant in your town, try these things there - more calorically dense, but you will almost certainly like them prepared at a restaurant before experimenting at home!

I don't know if linking to other social media is allowed, but here is a link to my recipe Pinterest board - everything there is vegan or vegetarian :)https://pinterest.com/erinspapercut/cooking-dawn-to-dusk/

Feel free to add me or message if you have any other questions - I went veggie in November of last year and it was the best thing I've ever done, I feel so much better!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Number one tip: Beans. They're amazing little protein/fiber nuggets, incredibly affordable, easy to prepare (slow cook the dry ones or buy canned to have beans immediately), and they fit into so many dishes. Bean burritos, chili, Italian pasta and beans, hummus, falafel, chickpea curry, lentil soup, black bean soup, navy bean soup, bean salad, chickpea salad sandwiches, bbq baked beans . . . I think you get the idea.

Awesome. Ok thanks - I use canned beans now but have never worked with dry ones so I will do some research on that. Like - can I cook them ahead of time and just store in the fridge? And how long will they keep? Anyhoe - in sure I can google that all. :)

Most safety resources will tell you that cooked beans will last for five days in the fridge. I personally eat them for up to seven days with no problems -- that's just my personal experience. The good news is that they freeze really well! If you cook them on the stove top or in a slow cooker, you can drain them or leave them in the liquid and then just thaw them when you're ready to eat. I will freeze them in 1-2 cup portions because that is what my recipes usually call for.
  • jelleigh
    Options

Most safety resources will tell you that cooked beans will last for five days in the fridge. I personally eat them for up to seven days with no problems -- that's just my personal experience. The good news is that they freeze really well! If you cook them on the stove top or in a slow cooker, you can drain them or leave them in the liquid and then just thaw them when you're ready to eat. I will freeze them in 1-2 cup portions because that is what my recipes usually call for.

Great idea ! Thanks!
  • karenvandam
    karenvandam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dry beans are awesome and easier than you think. Be sure to buy a new bag at the store. Don't use that old bag of beans that have been languishing in your pantry for several years - they won't cook easily. I usually cook 2 lbs of dry beans at a time. I put them in a big pot with cold water and let them soak for about 4 hours. Overnight soaking is good also. Drain off the soak water. Add fresh water and start cooking. Stay nearby as they start boiling so you can turn the burner down and prevent boil-overs (Ha! I should listen to my own advice!). Start checking at about 45 minutes. Use a spoon to pull out a couple beans to taste. It's a matter of taste how well-done you like them. Mine normally cook fully in about an hour, but it depends a bit on how fresh the beans are and how done you like them. Once cooked, pour the beans into a colander/strainer and give them a quick rinse. Any beans that I'm not going to use in the next day or two get put into a ziplock bag and stashed in the freezer for later. It's nice to have cooked beans on hand - makes it just as convenient as canned and cheaper and less sodium!
  • jelleigh
    Options
    My biggest tip is to focus on fiber! Most people get plenty of protein, but not near enough fiber - plus it keeps you full! One of my favorite 'recipes' right now is to roast/air fry a variety of veggies (this week is mini tricolor potatoes, zucchini, carrots, brussel sprouts, and onions) and serve over lettuce with a hummus dressing (2T hummus, lemon juice, smoked paprika, whole grain mustard, water to thin it out). I can have a HUGE bowl of this stuff for lunch for under 350 calories.

If you're really focused on protein, try things like TVP, tofu, and tempeh. If you have a vegan/veggie restaurant in your town, try these things there - more calorically dense, but you will almost certainly like them prepared at a restaurant before experimenting at home!

I don't know if linking to other social media is allowed, but here is a link to my recipe Pinterest board - everything there is vegan or vegetarian :)https://pinterest.com/erinspapercut/cooking-dawn-to-dusk/

Feel free to add me or message if you have any other questions - I went veggie in November of last year and it was the best thing I've ever done, I feel so much better!

Thanks that all sounds awesome! I love the roasted veggie salad idea too. Sounds great.
    I will look into fibre - I remember from my WW days how important that was ;). Any ideas what a good goal in grams to shoot for is?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

You can also freeze them without the liquid. They thaw very quickly that way.

Important things when cooking from dry: You want to look for beans that aren't old, so check expiration dates when you buy, or buy from a place you feel has a lot of turn-over in their beans. Most legumes, except for lentils and a few others, need to be "soaked" before cooking, either in cold water overnight (or all day if you put them on in the morning) or in water you've heated to boiling for about two hours. I prefer the cold water method, but I've had good results with the hot water method as well. When they're finished soaking, cut one in half. It should look the same all the way through (i.e., no pale, dry, hard core that the water hasn't reached -- if there is, try soaking longer, preferably with fresh water, and try reheating if you were using the short hot-water method). Change the water before cooking, which will help cut down on the flatulence issues.
  • jelleigh
    Options

You can also freeze them without the liquid. They thaw very quickly that way.

Important things when cooking from dry: You want to look for beans that aren't old, so check expiration dates when you buy, or buy from a place you feel has a lot of turn-over in their beans. Most legumes, except for lentils and a few others, need to be "soaked" before cooking, either in cold water overnight (or all day if you put them on in the morning) or in water you've heated to boiling for about two hours. I prefer the cold water method, but I've had good results with the hot water method as well. When they're finished soaking, cut one in half. It should look the same all the way through (i.e., no pale, dry, hard core that the water hasn't reached -- if there is, try soaking longer, preferably with fresh water, and try reheating if you were using the short hot-water method). Change the water before cooking, which will help cut down on the flatulence issues.

Awesome. Great tips (especially the gas part! Id like to keep friends through this process. Lol)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip is to remember that things that take the place of meat in the meal don't always replace the nutrition you would've gotten from the meat. Two good examples that are fairly popular are portobello caps instead of burgers, and potato tacos. Both are yummy, but neither gives you the protein you'd get from the meat. New vegetarians aren't always alert for this (and people who are trying to plan around having a vegetarian at their BBQ never are), so it's easy for newer vegetarians to unintentionally build unbalanced diets if they're not careful.
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77 for such a thorough answer. I am trying to be concious of the "hidden" protein that I can add in - the little amounts in foods not generally thought of as protein sources. Also i hear you on the inconvenience in social settings - my SIL is vegetarian and doesnt eat meat substitutes and we are currently trying to plan a vacation with many restaurant choices that will suit everyone - its not easy. Since my plan is essentially to try this for a few months, I can probably avoid some of the long term challenges , plus since imnot doing it for ethical reasons I also dont mind having meat the odd time if I'm at someones place and they dont have other options.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Dry beans are awesome and easier than you think. Be sure to buy a new bag at the store. Don't use that old bag of beans that have been languishing in your pantry for several years - they won't cook easily. I usually cook 2 lbs of dry beans at a time. I put them in a big pot with cold water and let them soak for about 4 hours. Overnight soaking is good also. Drain off the soak water. Add fresh water and start cooking. Stay nearby as they start boiling so you can turn the burner down and prevent boil-overs (Ha! I should listen to my own advice!). Start checking at about 45 minutes. Use a spoon to pull out a couple beans to taste. It's a matter of taste how well-done you like them. Mine normally cook fully in about an hour, but it depends a bit on how fresh the beans are and how done you like them. Once cooked, pour the beans into a colander/strainer and give them a quick rinse. Any beans that I'm not going to use in the next day or two get put into a ziplock bag and stashed in the freezer for later. It's nice to have cooked beans on hand - makes it just as convenient as canned and cheaper and less sodium!

Another option for cooking beans is in a slow cooker. If I start black beans before bed, they are done in the AM. No pre-soaking necessary with this method and timing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77 for such a thorough answer. I am trying to be concious of the "hidden" protein that I can add in - the little amounts in foods not generally thought of as protein sources. Also i hear you on the inconvenience in social settings - my SIL is vegetarian and doesnt eat meat substitutes and we are currently trying to plan a vacation with many restaurant choices that will suit everyone - its not easy. Since my plan is essentially to try this for a few months, I can probably avoid some of the long term challenges , plus since imnot doing it for ethical reasons I also dont mind having meat the odd time if I'm at someones place and they dont have other options.

I'd suggest keeping meat in your rotation once every week or two, then. I don't have a link, but I read a small crossover study about microbiota adaptation, where they had vegetarians willing to switch to eating meat for a while, and meat-eaters willing to be vegetarian for a while, and the researchers monitored gut microbiome when they switched. Memory is dim, but I remember that it was quicker than they expected - only on the order of a couple weeks IIRC.

IME, accidentally eating meat results in digestive distress . . . including that gassiness you're wanting to avoid for social reasons. ;)

BTW, I think eating meat occasionally is a really good choice, for those who want to go near-veg but not for ethical/moral reasons. Socially easier, and keeps those meat-loving gut bugs alive and happy! ;)
  • jelleigh
    Options
    Ok great suggestion @AnnPT77 . it will make it a bit easier to have meat once in awhile anyhow. Out of curiosity, is there any benefit from a gut bug perspective to eat or avoid red meat vs white meat?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Indian food is delicious.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd suggest keeping meat in your rotation once every week or two, then. I don't have a link, but I read a small crossover study about microbiota adaptation, where they had vegetarians willing to switch to eating meat for a while, and meat-eaters willing to be vegetarian for a while, and the researchers monitored gut microbiome when they switched. Memory is dim, but I remember that it was quicker than they expected - only on the order of a couple weeks IIRC.

IME, accidentally eating meat results in digestive distress . . . including that gassiness you're wanting to avoid for social reasons. ;)

BTW, I think eating meat occasionally is a really good choice, for those who want to go near-veg but not for ethical/moral reasons. Socially easier, and keeps those meat-loving gut bugs alive and happy! ;)

This is a fantastic suggestion from an ethical/moral standpoint as well. Someone concerned about the ethical/moral impact of eating meat could do more net good by reducing meat consumption in the long term than they could by eliminating it in the short term but finding that unsustainable.