August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Okay, answer a debate I have with a person in my running group. When running, the body diverts energy away from the digestive system and into our moving and working parts ( https://www.manhattangastroenterology.com/exercise-affects-digestion/ ). Does eating a small something during a long run really help?

I never eat during a run because it upsets my stomach. I wake up early and eat something small (toast, banana, etc) an hour before a long run. I bring a diluted energy drink in my hydration belt for runs over 10 miles. I did not eat during my marathon last December except for one orange slice at mile 21. A few people in my running group (not all) are telling me that eating helps. They try to sell me on that Gu and shotblock stuff. I have never found this to be true. Food takes a while to digest even when the body is at rest. Thoughts?

You feel like death when you run out of glycogen. Your body can only hold up to 2 hours running worth of glycogen.

To feel less like death, you can start eating things on your run before then.

Your body can't give you all the energy in that food you eat running, but it's still better than none.

Yes, but if I have diluted Gatorade in my hydration bottle I am getting a slow intake of sugar and electrolytes throughout my run. Is a Gu really going to do all that much more for me?

I tried to use straight up Gatorade on my run this morning. Stomach cramps at mile 9-13. :(
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I can run for 3 hours without nutrition other than Dixie cups of Gatorade at aid stations. But I'm really slow, so I would assume pace plays into it too. I didn't bonk, did cramp though. I've been training with Nuun to try preventing leg cramps this training cycle.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @amymoreorless honey stingers might be easier on the stomach, they have gel and blocks.

i do it when i run halfs. every four miles. i have found it made a difference from me wanting to die to just wanting to punch something or sleep or both
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I decided yesterday that if my legs were feeling okay this morning I’d run today and rest tomorrow, and they did, so I did, and it was nice. Dew point AND temp were a bit lower than they’ve been in a while, which was noticeably pleasant. I didn’t try for a negative split but managed it anyhow, which felt good. I was really comfortable after that first mile and was surprised to see my pace at the two-mile buzzer. I thought I might have psyched myself out a little bit in mile three but my split was still about 30 seconds faster than mile two (and sub-10!) so I guess I was okay. I’m sure numbers stress people out but I find it easier to be patient when I can see some tangible evidence that the “keep it slow” strategy is paying off both in distance and (gradually) in pace.

@Elise4270: I went to mass for a while in college (there was a boy involved) and was surprised how much I enjoyed exchanging the sign of peace. I think I liked the ritualized nature of it - although a quick google indicates that this is not the case in all congregations (and I guess the response has changed), my college group went for the simple handshake and “peace be with you / and also with you” exchange. For me it was less about introversion than social anxiety - I manage social situations much better if I know what’s expected of me.

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/6 Mo - 0:37:54 - 3.47
    8/7 Tu - lifted heavy things
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/9 Th - 0:33:38 - 3.11
    8/10 Fr - 0:34:55 - 3.07
    8/11 Sa - 1:06:45 - 6.10
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/13 Mo - 0:49:57 - 4.36
    8/14 Tu - 0:20:06 - 1.87, lifted heavy things
    8/15 We - 0:32:20 - 3.05

August Total: 35.15/50 miles
    2018 Total: 195.41 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: The Glo Run Night Race 5K
    September 8th, 9th, 15th, or 16th: MN Brewery Running Series 5K-ish fun run
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @amymoreorless It depends how you train. If you take in fuel during your longer runs your body then learns to process fuel during exertion. I can't do GU's but some have told me that you have to drink at least 6 oz of water with those. Most of the fuel are designed to digest quickly 30 min and I've found they do help to keep up and give you energy during long hard runs.

edit: You have to take them before you feel tired. You have to practice to learn when that is for you.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I think thats why i actually liked the Catholic Church. Its predictable. I also hated the pastor of charismatic churches earning the donations as a reflection of how well he/she is liked or passes a message everyone likes or agrees with. I have no judgement for others. Its just what works for me. Er what ill tolerate.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    In church we’re supposed to ‘take a minute and greet people around you’ and I hate it. Forced socializing. I prefer being social on my own terms.

Funny thing about that... we do not do that at my church, in part because all the research that I have seen says visitor list it as their number 1 complaint when visiting a new church. I tend to agree with them. :)

L.p.
    Funny for me because I would classify as mostly introvert.(teaching is a very extrovert thing) but as much as I like pastor Vincent I could not attend a church where people didn't shake hands and greet each other. (No judgement here. It just wouldn't work as spiritual for me.)

For me the "turn around and greet someone" ritual is manufactured. Everyone knows we're only doing it because we have to, and for me it does more to highlight the unfriendliness of a group of people if everyone arrives and makes it to their seats without greeting anyone naturally, and then suddenly puts on a smile and wants to shake my hand on cue from the leader.

At our church its expected to come in, kneel and quite yourself in prayer upon arival. Not chit chat, or catch up on gossip. Some of you may recognize it as a catholic church where we do offer a greeting of " peace be with you" at the appropriate time. There's always time to catch up after service.

I'm introverted. Won't hold hands in church, do not want a hug, do not want eye contact, but I don't mind the opportunity to wish peace for my brothers and sisters. It's a genuine offering that I do wish them peace. I guess that is a different expectation from the greetings of "say howdy to everyone and play nice" prompt that can feel empty.

For a group of introverts, y'all are dang chatty! If you only moved your feet as much as you moved your fingers! Hahaha! I kid of of course!

I prefer to communicate through writing. I like to gather my thoughts and lay them out.

Same here. Dh and I were talking and he mention how I always shoot everything down unless it's my idea. I had to explain that my reluctance to jump in on any idea is mearly my way of saying " i need to think on it". I know it comes across as combative, but i just have to digest thoughts and ideas before agreeing .

Same with any communication, I'd much rather sit and think and digest rather than winging it from the hip and cant articulate my perspective, then sound like a *offensive expliative*. Funny how we similar personality types overlap!

I'm intj too.

Hmm. Be interesting to do a monthly running group based on Meyers Briggs personally types.. segregate each to his own. But i bet, if you looked at the pockets of "friends" here, youd probably find they find each other.

ETA but obviously, sometimes i dont care if i sound like a goony bird,. And i indulge that ding dong silly side. But yall already knew that. Who wants to be just half crazy. I say do it right if ya gonna do it 😁

Oh, fun! I went and took an online Meyers Briggs test. INTJ here as well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    August goal: 75 miles

8/1: 4.5 miles
    8/2: 5 miles
    8/5: 6.5 miles
    8/7: 4.3 miles
    8/8: 4.6 miles
    8/9: 5 miles
    8/12: 8 miles
    8/14: 5 miles
    8/15: 4.7 miles

47.6/75 miles

I had a good 4.7 miles this morning. It wasn't as humid as yesterday, but it was still pretty muggy so it was another sweat fest. My feet have been kind of achy lately and I'm thinking I need new shoes which is kid of disappointing since my shoes only have ~300 miles on them. But I got some new socks and it actually seems to help some so maybe I can keep these shoes a little longer.

I guess I am mostly an introvert. I do like to run by myself. It is just a good time to be alone with my thoughts. I kind of find the greeting time at church to be a little much. But I don't mind if it is just a quick simple passing of the peace. But I hate when it last too long and you have people traveling all over the building. I was raised in the Episcopal church and like @Elise4270 when you enter church you are in an attitude of prayer and there is no talking. Most people kneel down and pray before the service so you are supposed to be respectful of that. We go to the Methodist church now and there is a lot of visiting before the service. Sometimes I wish that I could just go in and not talk to anyone. Maybe that makes me anti social and not introverted. But there are times when I enjoy visiting with others. These days I find that my long runs on Sunday are more spiritually fulfilling than church.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    After missing my July goal (250 miles) by 15 miles, I'm in for 225 miles for August since I begin my taper at the end of the month. I battled with a few weird injuries at the end of July and beginning of August. My Piriformis muscle was squeezing a small branch of my sciatic nerve which caused my left leg to go numb. Also a mild case of Compartment Syndrome in my left calf which caused my left foot to go numb. I alleviated the Piriformis problem with PT and yoga and the CS with daily foam rolling. I'll have to read back to see how everyone's doing. Oh! also I'm an introvert as well but with egotistical outbursts. I normally have to retreat and recharge after such episodes.

Hmm. I can relate... Didnt know that was a thing, figured i was just mental. Definitely have to keep the ID caged. But, if alcohol is involved... I'm sure I'd be intolerable! ETA and the color blue? Whats up with that after a few drinks? Its magnificent.

Hope the CS isn't a surgical solution. I'd considered it as a cause for some pain before the nerve entrapment/piriformis issue was diagnosed. Did not sound fun.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    IME, The vast majority of chatty people online are introverts... so most of this thread will be that. :)

I've noticed that as well. I have a small group of good friends I see semi-regularly (or try to, at least) and we certainly have interests in common, but none of them are runners. I make a new friend about once every 5-10 years, so maybe the next one will be a runner, but then again, maybe not. I still love having people to talk to about my interests, I just don't need that to be in person. If anything, I prefer it this way - I always have a place to go to talk about running, no one's going to complain about being excluded from the conversation, and controversial topics are (generally) avoided or addressed in a fairly neutral way.

And yes, I also consistently test INTJ. Pottermore says I'm a Slytherin, but I don't believe JK when she insists they're not "technically" evil - I'm telling that sorting hat to put me in Ravenclaw.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 mentioned that less than 1% of the population is INTJ - pretty sure we are all here! I find it so funny to read the post saying, 'yep that is me too!'.
    I've noticed that as well. I have a small group of good friends I see semi-regularly (or try to, at least) and we certainly have interests in common, but none of them are runners. I make a new friend about once every 5-10 years, so maybe the next one will be a runner, but then again, maybe not. I still love having people to talk to about my interests, I just don't need that to be in person. If anything, I prefer it this way - I always have a place to go to talk about running, no one's going to complain about being excluded from the conversation, and controversial topics are (generally) avoided or addressed in a fairly neutral way.
    Pretty much all of this ^^^ although I am not sure I make new friends even once every 5-10 years... We have the same friends we have had for years and years all over the world (college, work and professional organization) who stay in touch mostly online these days.
    Like @LaDispute57, I find my spirituality is stronger outside on a run or a hike. I have pretty much always felt that way even when I was a kid. Oh we went to church but if it had been outside under the trees with the birds, etc. I probably would have gotten more out of it.

Rest day for me today and I am already so sore from a tough strength training workout last night. Doesn't bode well for later today!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless It depends how you train. If you take in fuel during your longer runs your body then learns to process fuel during exertion. I can't do GU's but some have told me that you have to drink at least 6 oz of water with those. Most of the fuel are designed to digest quickly 30 min and I've found they do help to keep up and give you energy during long hard runs.

edit: You have to take them before you feel tired. You have to practice to learn when that is for you.

Most of those gels and blocks will say to drink water after. And yes, I've taken them after the tired point and you get like 5 minute burst of energy and then fade again.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @AprilRN10 mentioned that less than 1% of the population is INTJ - pretty sure we are all here! I find it so funny to read the post saying, 'yep that is me too!'.

It is very peculiar that guessing 30+% of u are intj