August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I have finally entered the Auckland Half on October 28th. This is a hilly course but nothing too severe - the Harbour Bridge is the longest hill but has amazing views across the city to distract you (and this event is the only time you can cross it on foot).

I'm following this with the Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi just three weeks later - 20.5km of "breath-taking riverside trails alongside the natural gorge, historic railway tracks (complete with tunnels - torches/headlamps compulsory) and all wrapped up in native bush." What they don't shout about is the 980m of elevation and its 8/10 toughness factor. Could be a full on day!

I'm hoping to PB Auckland (sub 1:50 ideally but with a field of up to 7000, the sheer volume of people can play havoc with finishing times, especially if you have a bad start like I did last year - it's a ferry ride to the start line and our boat sat on the water for about 40 minutes for reasons unknown which had us running from the terminal and straight across the start line - no last minute coffee or loo stops - about seven minutes after the gun went off and behind thousands of walkers and slower runners!!)

For Waihi, my plan is to not die. To enjoy the view, the tunnels, the swing bridges and have a pleasant day out!

Not as mad as some of you, but a pretty full on month for me!! I can't wait.

@ContraryMaryMary I really really want to do the Auckland half. I think I'll have to put it on the calendar for next year. The chance to run over the bridge is always a draw! Have you decided on the kerikeri half yet? Oh and I'm actually in Auckland briefly on Thursday, passing through on my way to Dunedin, will be back through Sunday. Want to do a Sunday evening run? Lol
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary I really really want to do the Auckland half. I think I'll have to put it on the calendar for next year. The chance to run over the bridge is always a draw! Have you decided on the kerikeri half yet? Oh and I'm actually in Auckland briefly on Thursday, passing through on my way to Dunedin, will be back through Sunday. Want to do a Sunday evening run? Lol

@avidkeo, I’d love to but am running the Mt Maunganui half on Saturday so won’t be running Sunday. Next time!!

And I’ve opted for Waihi over Kerikeri (same date) as it’s a day trip versus a weekend away - and also it looks super awesome, even though I love the Kerikeri half. Do you run trails?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @sarehthes I almost always run the day after, or at most the following day of ANY race, even utlras. I do not go for any speed records, but I am a firm believer in getting moving again asap. :)

Also, everyone else advises against it so do not do that. ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @sarehthes I almost always run the day after, or at most the following day of ANY race, even utlras. I do not go for any speed records, but I am a firm believer in getting moving again asap. :)

i don't do anything crazy but i at least for a hike the day after.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I did a three mile hill race the morning after my very hilly marathon. All for the cowbell medal you understand.

I swear that's the reason I was still able to walk afterwards
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I did a three mile hill race the morning after my very hilly marathon. All for the cowbell medal you understand.

IMO, yes. I think everyone's advice not to is a disservice, but I am in the minority in this belief (possibly alone) so YMMV and talk to a doctor and all that. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I've found it's easier for me to go out for at least a short, easy run the day after. I've done both and it appears to take longer to feel better if I rest.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't usually take days off after races or long runs. I just do what my body feels capable of.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    2.29 miles of intervals this morning, new phone's GPS much better than last one and consequently pace seems much more in line with when I was starting 5 years ago(never shoulda stopped but, meh, life) Working C25k for intervals. Totals for the month 48.25/55. Should have set a stretch goal but oh well :p ...Running the Tweetsie Trail again on 8/26 if anyone cares to join me. Gonna start at the Johnson City end and head all the way to Elizabethton in TN, trail is very nice crushed gravel and a lot of shade. If anyone cares to join me for the 10 miles let me know. Fair warning I am a fairly slow 12-13 minute mile runner.

exercise.png

I would love to! I sent you a message. :-)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    I don't usually take days off after races or long runs. I just do what my body feels capable of.

She has RN in her handle so she way wiser than I. Listen to her :lol:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

IMO, yes. I think everyone's advice not to is a disservice, but I am in the minority in this belief (possibly alone) so YMMV and talk to a doctor and all that. :)

I don't think you are that alone in this opinion @PastorVincent. Looks like many of us fell that the day after 'recovery run' does in fact help us recover!