August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq the worst is when you find a drinking fountain and it doesn’t work!!! Nooooooo... I hate carrying water too so I’m always on the lookout for water stops.

The. Worst. My long run a couple of weeks ago where I failed to find the lake I’d planned on running around had a broken water fountain along the way as well. That definitely added to the overall badness of the run!

I feel like this partly explains why Memphis is one of the fattest cities in the nation - only one of the parks where I run has a single water fountain at the trail head plus a toilet, none of the others have water fountains, nothing that is not a park has any fountains, and there are never potties unless there is a race that day. Also, you will definitely be arrested if you try to use the woods, so better hold it until you can drive to a fast food place and use theirs. When I run trails I have to stop at the regular trail head for the paved parts, use the single john for the whole park, get back in my car and drive several miles to the trail head for the woods trails which has no amenities. I've tried walking from the john to the trails and I need to pee by the time I get there unless I deliberately dehydrate myself, which is not a good idea on a run.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq the worst is when you find a drinking fountain and it doesn’t work!!! Nooooooo... I hate carrying water too so I’m always on the lookout for water stops.

The. Worst. My long run a couple of weeks ago where I failed to find the lake I’d planned on running around had a broken water fountain along the way as well. That definitely added to the overall badness of the run!

I feel like this partly explains why Memphis is one of the fattest cities in the nation - only one of the parks where I run has a single water fountain at the trail head plus a toilet, none of the others have water fountains, nothing that is not a park has any fountains, and there are never potties unless there is a race that day. Also, you will definitely be arrested if you try to use the woods, so better hold it until you can drive to a fast food place and use theirs. When I run trails I have to stop at the regular trail head for the paved parts, use the single john for the whole park, get back in my car and drive several miles to the trail head for the woods trails which has no amenities. I've tried walking from the john to the trails and I need to pee by the time I get there unless I deliberately dehydrate myself, which is not a good idea on a run.

Ug, that sounds like a drag. As much as I'd like there to be more fountains, there was still one along the 4-5 mile stretch of riverfront I ran this morning, plus a number of portapotties (at least of couple of them double-wides), and a public restroom with fountain and zippy water-bottle filler at the falls park around mile 7. There aren't any fountains or toilets on the Greenway, which was the first four miles of my run but the rest stops at the lakes and major parks are pretty reliable.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    If I finish my marathon in Vegas we can cross Nevada off the list. Someone else may have to pick up AZ as I am not sure I am meant to do marathons.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp I left a hyperlink on the first page to his athlinks page. If I missed something, like Massachusetts or anyone needing to double check me. I have a terrible tendency to overlook detail.

I thought during my run today.... about Dennis. I swear he's my coach now. Good advice from somewhere, helping me find "comfortable " and settle into a pace.

And. So many of us arent marathon material. Many races have relays. Itd be amazing if we can get some with a team effort. I'm down for just about anywhere. Even if he's done the state.
    Currently i am unable to take vacation October through mid November, and I'm still on the mend. But spring would be doable. We all should just go to Hawaii for a relay, then Alaska. Ooo I wanna do one at night when its light.

Missed the link the first time I looked. The athlinks page shows no races by Dennis in Massachusetts. I'm impressed that he ran the Buffalo Marathon 3 weeks after running Flying Pig, twice. I know I'm not going to try running back to back marathons that close together, ever.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, I noticed the spreadsheet was missing MA because I was specifically looking for states where I've run marathons: NY and MA. I didn't check for any other missing states.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MobyCarp I left a hyperlink on the first page to his athlinks page. If I missed something, like Massachusetts or anyone needing to double check me. I have a terrible tendency to overlook detail.

I thought during my run today.... about Dennis. I swear he's my coach now. Good advice from somewhere, helping me find "comfortable " and settle into a pace.

And. So many of us arent marathon material. Many races have relays. Itd be amazing if we can get some with a team effort. I'm down for just about anywhere. Even if he's done the state.
    Currently i am unable to take vacation October through mid November, and I'm still on the mend. But spring would be doable. We all should just go to Hawaii for a relay, then Alaska. Ooo I wanna do one at night when its light.

Missed the link the first time I looked. The athlinks page shows no races by Dennis in Massachusetts. I'm impressed that he ran the Buffalo Marathon 3 weeks after running Flying Pig, twice. I know I'm not going to try running back to back marathons that close together, ever.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, I noticed the spreadsheet was missing MA because I was specifically looking for states where I've run marathons: NY and MA. I didn't check for any other missing states.

Did you add it? If i got 49/50 i say thats not so bad :smiley: i did have to fix my WiFi, and clean up cat barf, and be super quiet while dh did his meditation, also i just woke up when i added athlinks data, omg and there was no almond milk for my coffee. So can i have a pass?

Thanks! I'll have a look at it.

ETA and there are a lot of "M" states... :wink:
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I was looking for Maryland as that may be a State I might possibly run again in the future. I don’t see it on the list but I saw on his athlinks that he has run Baltimore (same race I have run). I think there may be one or two others missing but I haven’t double checked the list. Also, should we add Washington, D.C.? I was considering the MCM next year. Thanks for putting the list together in the first place, Elise.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Okay. @orphia @MobyCarp i added missing Massachusetts and added columns so we can assign the states. Y'all might have a look and check me.

Oh i did miss hes done Nevada. Sorry @RunsOnEspresso . I still left you to do Nevada in the sheet. I see no reason we can't re-run a state for him. He did Revel Mt Charleston April 29 ,2017.

Hes done Oklahoma. But if i can get to the venue he ran, I'd do a relay or half in his memory.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Yes i just added Maryland. 😊