August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Orphia @girlinahat , Yeah, if you get that list going, let me know and I will see where I can run one for him.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run tonight... probably through Tuesday. Traveling and left my running gear at home. Very busy trip so did not want to tempt myself with the ability to escape for hours in the middle of it :) Kind of important I am around for this (see my prior post about my baby sister). :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Just saw your post above.

I sent condolences from all of us to Dennis' wife.

I told her about us wanting to add to his list, and asked which family member would be best to help with the technical aspects.

(On your Strava runs, you can click the "Add Friend" button and the friend (ie his son using his account) can accept the add, and it will post the run on the KeepRunningFatboy Strava feed.

She recommended their son could help, so I have sent him a message this morning.

That nice. I really hate to bother his family too much. Im such an introvert, I'd be a bit irritated with the family disruption. Thats just my wierdness. My social circle is warped. It probably more of a scribble than a circle with unpredictable and invisible boundaries. Some potentially hostile. All very neurotically patrolled.

I think, looking back through his strava activity we can get a good idea of his runs. And i think i may have him on athlinks... But if hes already got a state/place and someone wants to do one for him, i dont think it should be dismissed because hes already done it. Ya know, no rules. Just run that mfn mile 😁

So not only to finish his list, but to do his list as a collective, would be the goal. But again if 2 or 13 people wanna do the same place.... I say it counts. We are one.

@Elise4270 he does indeed have an Athlinks profile. Each and everyone of his 45 marathons logged if you go to results and select Marathon sort. Should be easy from there to determine which states are left.

Right on!

I have something started. I got the first and last page. Group effort ya know. I'm alright delagating and asking for direction and help since it is a collective effort.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YnOSKyGFudwmqd6LeJJTHSxSTewBcaWKaJYWNJnPftQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

I think its unlocked and ready. Any problems, ill try to catch it tomorrow. My butt hurts from sitting on this cardboard scratching block tethered to the modem because my weefee wont connect on this dern laptop.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 Just saw your post above.

I sent condolences from all of us to Dennis' wife.

I told her about us wanting to add to his list, and asked which family member would be best to help with the technical aspects.

(On your Strava runs, you can click the "Add Friend" button and the friend (ie his son using his account) can accept the add, and it will post the run on the KeepRunningFatboy Strava feed.

She recommended their son could help, so I have sent him a message this morning.

That nice. I really hate to bother his family too much. Im such an introvert, I'd be a bit irritated with the family disruption. Thats just my wierdness. My social circle is warped. It probably more of a scribble than a circle with unpredictable and invisible boundaries. Some potentially hostile. All very neurotically patrolled.

I think, looking back through his strava activity we can get a good idea of his runs. And i think i may have him on athlinks... But if hes already got a state/place and someone wants to do one for him, i dont think it should be dismissed because hes already done it. Ya know, no rules. Just run that mfn mile 😁

So not only to finish his list, but to do his list as a collective, would be the goal. But again if 2 or 13 people wanna do the same place.... I say it counts. We are one.

I was nervous, and weighed it up, and considering my 2 messages contain such a lot of support from many people, and a plan for continuing his memory and life goal, I thought it was worth it.

I wouldn't have bothered them if it was just me alone.

So great to be a part of all this. Really makes you think and appreciate how precious and wonderful life is.

I'm really glad you can do that. Its bordering out of my comfort zone approaching his brother.

When i was 18 i worked at a movie theater in Irving Texas. John Ritter was filming in the area and stopped in to watch a movie. I accepted his money, wished him "enjoy your show" like he was no one. I just cant bother people. I'm probably timid or as kids, ya know- dont bother adults.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    We have a star in our midst.

@garygse is in 151st place in the Strava Distance Challenge for August, out of nearly 180,000 people.

To put that in perspective, a guy I admire like a guru who has just done 10 marathons in 10 days is in 225th.

Absolutely awesome.

Well done @garygse!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

@garygse is in 151st place in the Strava Distance Challenge for August, out of nearly 180,000 people.

To put that in perspective, a guy I admire like a guru who has just done 10 marathons in 10 days is in 225th.

Absolutely awesome.

Mind boggling!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Absolutely awesome.

That is especially impressive giving the amount of cheating on Strava in those things (for reasons I can not fathom).
  • Elise4270
    Options

Absolutely awesome.

That is especially impressive giving the amount of cheating on Strava in those things (for reasons I can not fathom).

Dh was telling me about that the other day, the unbelievable milage others have put in.

You think that's real? Or...
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Absolutely awesome.

Dh was telling me about that the other day, the unbelievable milage others have put in.

I have no way to know for sure, but let's just say some of the posts are suspicious and leave it at that. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Absolutely awesome.

I have no way to know for sure, but let's just say some of the posts are suspicious and leave it at that. :)

Nike Running App has similar competitions and I often wonder how these people get the mileage they do. Unless they are all @AlphaHowls there is no way.