August 1 – 5 miles
    August 4 – 9.2 miles
    August 6 – 6.2 miles
    August 7 – 8.1 miles
    August 10 - 6.1 miles
    August 11 – 11 miles (am); 4 miles (pm)
    August 13 – 4.47 miles
    August 15 – 5 miles
    August 17 – 5.15 miles for Dennis (am); 4 miles (pm)
    August 19 – 4.1 miles
    August 20 – 4.7 miles
    77.05/125 miles

Upcoming Races:
    September 1 – Iron Mountain 16-Miler
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I didn’t quite understand why people talked about races as motivation, since running is awesome and its own reward and all that, but I’ve got to admit having a goal is kind of exciting. I love running because of how I feel when I run and how it improves my life generally, but it doesn’t hurt having something to work towards. There was a bit of me that didn’t want to go out in the rain this morning, but another bit of me that said “what if it rains during a race? If you train in the rain, you’ll know you can race in the rain!”

Also, it appears there are other benefits to getting into racing more seriously. As an immediate example, my husband wants us to visit his terrible grandparents in September, and it turns out there are not one but TWO 10K races within easy distance of their house that month. Noice! Admittedly one is two laps around an office park and the other is two laps around a shopping mall, but what are you going to do?

Welcome to the dark side. I lined up at 5 marathons before I decided I kind of like running marathons; but I LOVE training for marathons! And my running buddies look at me oddly when I just want to do long runs but don't have any marathon planned.

All that, and a distant race is a great excuse to visit family. I'll have to think about working a half marathon in Nebraska into my schedule for that purpose.

Do many people not enjoy long runs? So far they're probably my favorite even sans race target.

Thankfully on the family side the grandparents-in-law are the only terrible relatives - my dad and sister both live in the Pacific Northwest, I've got an aunt in Chicago, step-family in Hawaii, and in-laws are in South Dakota. Plenty of great running opportunities!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I am hoping you do this again in September! I'm 63 and took up running about 6 months ago. I am trying to keep a recent 55 lb. weight loss alive. Like many late in life runners, I got a 3rd metatarsal stress fracture about 8 weeks ago. I'm hoping I'll be back to running in September. I did go out today, only did 3 miles, maybe 20% running, the rest a fast walk. Foot hurts a little, not too bad. Good luck all!!!!

you are in luck...we do this every month :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I am hoping you do this again in September! I'm 63 and took up running about 6 months ago. I am trying to keep a recent 55 lb. weight loss alive. Like many late in life runners, I got a 3rd metatarsal stress fracture about 8 weeks ago. I'm hoping I'll be back to running in September. I did go out today, only did 3 miles, maybe 20% running, the rest a fast walk. Foot hurts a little, not too bad. Good luck all!!!!

you are in luck...we do this every month :smile:

Yep! And people join at all points during the month, so welcome aboard!