August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    HEY Y'ALL! Was wondering around REI today and looking at headlamps. What do y'all use/suggest? I run both trail and road...

I have a cheap Walmart one from when the kids were little and it was used camping/4 wheeling, amd a petzl i had to have from the running store. I love the petzl, just because its newer and from the running store.

But. Last year when dh an i ran an evening/night race his (the the Walmart one) did better. To be fair, i may have overlooked fresh batteries. He had no complaints about it at all. I find the equally comfortable. Im just partial to the new "running" one.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent

Thought of you this evening. My hydration belt had been nearing the end of its useful life, so I went online and bought a replacement. This time I decided to try a model with 2 x 12 oz. bottles and adjustable pouch location.

Got the belt adjusted to fit me, learned that I needed to secure it with diaper pins, and it worked great while running. The bottles stayed in back where they ride well, the pouch held my iPhone 7 in its Otterbox as well as 3 gels and a pillbox with some S-caps. The bottles came in and out of the holders more easily than the standard Nathan bottles I have been using.

But what struck me was, sucking from these bottles did not work. I *had* to squeeze them to get the water out. No big deal for me, but I thought about your question on behalf of your wife. When I got home, I looked in detail. The caps are push-pull, with the camelback style valve in addition. If I decide I don't like how this works, I can swap the caps out for normal Nathan push-pull or racing caps that I already have. I don't know if I could just order the caps, or what they would be called.

I'll probably wear the old hydration belt for Oak Tree, simply because there isn't enough time before then to test the new belt in a situation where I drain a bottle entirely. But I may be comfortable enough with this one to wear it for Wineglass, and there's a chance that the old belt won't last till Wineglass if I use it for every run.

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

@PastorVincent About your run...eeeks, nasty!
    But seems like a great group of people, they all looked liked they were having fun once it was over. Hope you did too.
    Congrats on doing it.

Not sure what you are referring too... Perhaps you meant someone else? :D

Did you not do the hilly race?

Nope, it is next month. I MIGHT do it though. :)

Oh my goodness. First I can't remember things, now I'm looking into the future. If I could see those winning lottery numbers I'd be set.

Then I'll keep an eye open for next month and you say you've done, I'll repost the congrats. :-)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I think I bought those bottles to replace the one I lost from my hydration belt when I fell during my trail race. I prefer to squeeze and like them so I bet @PastorVincent 's wife would be okay with them.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    I wrote this this morning before spending much of the day talking to bankers about how my income to student loan ratio means I can't get a mortgage without a cosigner, only not the cosigner I married because reasons. Sigh. I'm glad I had a good run this morning. I'm going to take a nap now.

I got to run 5.08 miles today, ending off August with a really lovely tempo run in really lovely weather around a really lovely lake. Just a lovely morning all around. I think tempo runs might be my favorite kind of runs - I like having the clear goals, I like the challenge of ramping up steadily but not too quickly, and I like the feeling of running fast but not painfully so towards the end.

This wraps up a really phenomenal running month for me and kind of just a great month in general now that I look back at it. I ran a hair under 70 miles, signed up for a 10k and a half marathon, and set PRs all over the place: most miles in a month, most miles in a week, longest run, and fastest 5k pace and finishing time.

My one-mile PR from early July still stands, but I feel like I’m running much, much smarter than I was then, and I have a strong suspicion that I’ll beat that time in September as I continue weekly tempo runs and fartleks. I think I’m also enjoying my runs much more consistently than I was in July and that’s huge.

In other fitness goals, I got at least 60 minutes of stretching and strength mobility exercises in 3 weeks out of 4 and was only short 8 minutes that week. I did a lunge matrix before 9 of my last 11 runs (not counting speed-work done after lifting). I did less well with weight lifting in August, having two weeks where I only got one workout in, but I still feel good about where I am for now.

@eleanorhawkins: My brain still feels like walk breaks are cheating (or worse, failing!) sometimes too. I try and use that for motivation: if I need to walk during an easy run, then I probably haven't been taking it easy enough, so part of my mentality when I set out is "make sure to go so slow you won't need to walk!" I let myself walk during fartleks if I really, really need to, so I try and push myself hard enough that I "get" to walk a little. I'm still working out how to use walking as motivation during a tempo run, though - that just feels like failing. :)

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/6 Mo - 0:37:54 - 3.47
    8/7 Tu - lifted heavy things
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/9 Th - 0:33:38 - 3.11
    8/10 Fr - 0:34:55 - 3.07
    8/11 Sa - 1:06:45 - 6.10
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/13 Mo - 0:49:57 - 4.36
    8/14 Tu - 0:20:06 - 1.87, lifted heavy things
    8/15 We - 0:32:20 - 3.05
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/18 Sa - 1:30:13 - 8.01 (distance PR in memory of @KeepRunningFatboy)
    8/19 Su - rest & 5 hours of D&D
    8/20 Mo - 0:49:35 - 4.58 tempo
    8/21 Tu - 0:21:00 - 2.07 fartleks, lifted heavy things, prehab
    8/22 We - rest
    8/23 Th - 0:55:10 - 4.85
    8/24 Fr - prehab, lifted heavy things
    8/25 Sa - 0:30:47 - 3.12 - Glo Run Night Race 5K
    8/26 Su - rest
    8/27 Mo - 0:41:45 - 3.75
    8/28 Tu - 0:20:17 - 1.93 fartleks, lifted heavy things, prehab
    8/29 We - rest
    8/30 Th - 0:53:25 - 5.08

August Total: 69.54/50 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold/Shirley Brooker 10K, Overland Park, KS
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon
    I wrote this this morning before spending much of the day talking to bankers about how my income to student loan ratio means I can't get a mortgage without a cosigner, only not the cosigner I married because reasons. Sigh. I'm glad I had a good run this morning. I'm going to take a nap now.

I got to run 5.08 miles today, ending off August with a really lovely tempo run in really lovely weather around a really lovely lake. Just a lovely morning all around. I think tempo runs might be my favorite kind of runs - I like having the clear goals, I like the challenge of ramping up steadily but not too quickly, and I like the feeling of running fast but not painfully so towards the end.

This wraps up a really phenomenal running month for me and kind of just a great month in general now that I look back at it. I ran a hair under 70 miles, signed up for a 10k and a half marathon, and set PRs all over the place: most miles in a month, most miles in a week, longest run, and fastest 5k pace and finishing time.

My one-mile PR from early July still stands, but I feel like I’m running much, much smarter than I was then, and I have a strong suspicion that I’ll beat that time in September as I continue weekly tempo runs and fartleks. I think I’m also enjoying my runs much more consistently than I was in July and that’s huge.

In other fitness goals, I got at least 60 minutes of stretching and strength mobility exercises in 3 weeks out of 4 and was only short 8 minutes that week. I did a lunge matrix before 9 of my last 11 runs (not counting speed-work done after lifting). I did less well with weight lifting in August, having two weeks where I only got one workout in, but I still feel good about where I am for now.

@eleanorhawkins: My brain still feels like walk breaks are cheating (or worse, failing!) sometimes too. I try and use that for motivation: if I need to walk during an easy run, then I probably haven't been taking it easy enough, so part of my mentality when I set out is "make sure to go so slow you won't need to walk!" I let myself walk during fartleks if I really, really need to, so I try and push myself hard enough that I "get" to walk a little. I'm still working out how to use walking as motivation during a tempo run, though - that just feels like failing. :)

AUGUST MILES:
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/22 We - rest
    8/26 Su - rest
    8/29 We - rest

Races!

AUGUST MILES:
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/22 We - rest
    8/26 Su - rest
    8/29 We - rest

Races!

AUGUST MILES:
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/22 We - rest
    8/26 Su - rest
    8/29 We - rest

Races!

--
    Great job, a lot of hard work. Noticed how you put in extra things for cross training, and the yoga.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    No idea what happened above. Seems it replicated several times before it took my reply.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    No idea what happened above. Seems it replicated several times before it took my reply.

You can edit by clicking on the settings button in the upper right corner of your post as long as you do it within an hour of posting.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @MobyCarp I think I bought those bottles to replace the one I lost from my hydration belt when I fell during my trail race. I prefer to squeeze and like them so I bet @PastorVincent 's wife would be okay with them.

Which bottles? If you could link me to good squeeze bottles I will show my wife. :)
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi PastorVincent

I use Black Diamond with rechargeable batteries. I run in the dark most mornings to get my runs in before work. Can't speak highly enough of it.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    The funk talk: I've been in a mental funk for about a month. My dietary habits have been AWFUL. I feel awful. The scale has been going up instead of down (I'm quite near maintenance, but not all the way there). I have not run as much as I normally would. I don't want to do my school work. My house is a mess. I started a new job, too. I think that's part of the issue. Then my 10k got cancelled. That helped, let me tell ya! I couldn't find another one to replace it before month-end, so I signed up for a virtual birthday 10k since my birthday was at the beginning of the month. I can't stand to not have done my race this month, so that will have to suffice.

You guys inspire me to get off my duff and run, even if it's a little!

@AprilRN10 Starting a new job is a major life event!

Don't feel bad in the slightest about other things taking a back seat at that time. Hugs!

Hey, I notice you do a lot of 5K events.

That leads me to wonder if there's a parkrun near you. You'd love it!

Map of US locations here:

http://www.parkrun.us/events/
  • sarahthes
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Which bottles? If you could link me to good squeeze bottles I will show my wife. :)

Same ones as @MobyCarp has in his new belt.

Here's a link to the Amazon.ca version.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GKONT7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_p2kIBb0KK73WP

They look slightly smaller actually. But they work well for me, cap looks the same and they are easy to squeeze. I used them to carry electrolytes during my last race and just used drank water from the aid stations.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I created the new Challenge for September... It can be found here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10692289/september-2018-running-challenge/p1?new=1

I will get caught up on the posts here in the morning...
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    August goal: 70 miles
    8/1: impromptu rest day (3 miles were planned)
    8/2: 3.15 miles (6 miles were planned, but heat was too awful)
    8/3: 7 miles (new distance best!, 3 were planned, but kept going)
    8/4: planned rest
    8/5: 2 miles (planned rest, back on target for the month)
    8/6: elliptical and upper body weights
    8/7: 8 miles (5.5 planned, but just rolled with the energy, new distance best!)
    8/8: 5 miles speedwork and lower body weights
    8/9: 4 miles (oh so painful legs!)
    8/10: elliptical, back, abs
    8/11: 7 miles
    8/12: rest
    8/13: 9 miles
    8/14: 3.5 miles tempo
    8/15: 4 miles
    8/16: 8 miles
    8/17: 3.15 miles
    8/18: planned rest
    8/19: planned rest
    8/20: impromptu rest (3 planned)
    8/21: 6 miles (3 planned)
    8/22: 2.5 miles speed work and arms
    8/23: rest
    8/24: 2 miles
    8/25: rest (10k cancelled due to weather)
    8/26: rest
    8/27: 3 miles
    8/28: 4 miles
    8/29: 6 miles (virtual 10k as replacement)
    8/30: 2 miles (3 planned, but 5 hours of sleep, 6 hours of driving, and 5 hours of rock show)
    89.3 of 70 completed

UPCOMING RACES
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Today is the last day of August, so officially the last day of winter down at this end of the planet. You have no idea how happy I am about this. Bring on September, the sunshine and warmer temps!!

AMEN!