August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    You know - by bailing out on Two face - you will not get this bag of Berry Tailwinds...

Oh... that's harsh man... even for a pastor. o:)

What can I say? I am originally from New Jersey. :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls you make me look lazy

She makes assembly line robots look lazy! :open_mouth:
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    kcs76 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless I'll join you in doomville. We got a new shipment of premium jerkies in today at work. I certainly did not eat half a bag if the bourban glazed beef B)

Looking for something in an ostrich or moose jerky..... :o
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @eponine1984 I prefer podcasts now. I try to listen to music on my speed work days but I just automatically turn on a podcast.
  • workaholic_nurse
    @MobyCarp Great shots of the kids' races! <3
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    August goal: 180 miles

Date................Miles............Total/Remaining
    8/1...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/2...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/3...................Rest.............. 000.00/180.00
    8/4...................20.00............... 20.00/160.00
    8/5.....................5.00............... 25.00/155.00
    8/6...................Rest................. 25.00/155.00
    8/7.....................9.00............... 34.00/146.00
    8/8.....................5.50............... 39.50/140.50
    8/9.....................5.00............... 44.50/135.50

Upcoming Races:
    August 25, 2018 Bubble Run 5K (Pittsburgh, PA)
    October 20, 2018 Sinnemahone Ultra Marathon Trail Run 50K (Emporium, PA)

I know that it was just a little 5 mile "test drive" this morning, but I may have found my new favorite road running shoe. This Xero Prio is a sweet shoe. I took out the removable insole and went sockless to maximize the "bare foot" experience and the "ground feel" on these was excellent. I especially loved the way I can cinch up the shoe around the heel and/or mid-foot if I want without cramping the wide comfy toe box. My feet were loving it. Tomorrow is a rest day, but I can't wait to see how they do on Saturday's long run of 24 miles. Sometimes I think I love running just for the shoes... lol.

The whole barefoot mystique would make you feel pretty badarse. :D

• workaholic_nurse
    It's super difficult to get a workout regimen going with full-time school and work, but at the same time... I feel so much better after I'm done each time and end each walk/run with yoga if it's not too late in the evening. So far what I've been doing is going on walks either during my break at school or at work and then pounding some more pavement later (more like treadmill since I'm normally not home until 9 - 9:30pm M-F and don't want to go for a walk/run that late alone). I'm considering trying to wake up earlier before work to do my longer walk/run and then when I got home just do yoga versus doing both because it'll mean my bum being in bed earlier. I'll see how that works out for me starting next week! However, if anyone has any tips, I'm here to listen!

Just have to figure out what works best for you ma'am. For me running/lifting before work is best because by the time I get off and home I just don't feel it... :p
  • niavalentino
    niavalentino Posts: 131 Member
    edited August 2018
    Just have to figure out what works best for you ma'am. For me running/lifting before work is best because by the time I get off and home I just don't feel it... :p

Prior to going back to school, I used to run and do yoga before work and would feel so awesome. It is why I'm thinking about returning back to that habit, but it's so ridiculously tough when I have to be at work by 7:30am versus 8:30am prior to my school schedule. :'(:'( I'm convinced I'm doomed until graduation :# #DMS #Sonographystudent #Medicineforthewin #Whhhhhy?!

• kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    It's super difficult to get a workout regimen going with full-time school and work, but at the same time... I feel so much better after I'm done each time and end each walk/run with yoga if it's not too late in the evening. So far what I've been doing is going on walks either during my break at school or at work and then pounding some more pavement later (more like treadmill since I'm normally not home until 9 - 9:30pm M-F and don't want to go for a walk/run that late alone). I'm considering trying to wake up earlier before work to do my longer walk/run and then when I got home just do yoga versus doing both because it'll mean my bum being in bed earlier. I'll see how that works out for me starting next week! However, if anyone has any tips, I'm here to listen!

I'm in the same boat. School is starting back up in a few weeks and while my semester load isn't as heavy this year, I've been elected president of a philanthropic club which will take up a lot of time. I'm already telling myself that I'll have to cut back on my already meager mileage for September which makes me anxious because I love how I feel when I'm walking up my steps to my apt after my run.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    @MobyCarp great race! Always impressed.
    @midwesterner85 have a good time in the wilderness.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Well, today has been a little bit of a mess, but I got a nice, slow run in this AM, so there you are! I had a difficult time getting to sleep last night between my brain being weird, my husband snoring, and the dogs invading my space - SO has been wanting them upstairs with us more since Bowie got sick, which I get, but does hurt the sleeping sometimes. Then around 1:30 I heard Bowie jump off the bed and a part of me said “he has to go” and another part said “no, he just wants a drink” and a third part said “while you’ve been lying here he probably peed on the bookshelf” and it turns out the third part was right!

So I let him out, cleaned things up, then made a snack and read for a couple of hours. Woke up late this AM but I put on my running clothes and they did their magic. It was pretty humid but I just stuck to a steady pace and it actually felt good. I wish I could go back a month or so and tell myself to chill out and slow down and just enjoy the run. Ah well.

I've got this week off between projects on my day job so I'm focusing on my side gig and catching up on housework, which today meant I sat in bed until 1 PM reading and snacking (only 400 calories left for dinner, oops) and then took a three hour nap. I'm up now though, and I cleaned the bedroom, and my day job sent me materials to read over the weekend for training on Monday, so all is good.

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/6 Mo - 0:37:54 - 3.47
    8/7 Tu - lifted heavy things
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/9 Th - 0:33:38 - 3.11

July Total: 17.70/50 miles
    2018 Total: 176.96 miles