Keto?

Options
So, I have co-workers and friends who are on this ketogenic diet. Some have had great success losing more than 50 pounds! Is this a good diet? I know you basically have to throw away everything and start fresh but is it worth it? What are the benefits? I’m looking to lose more than 90 pounds! 😊

Replies

• Z_Bunnie88
    Z_Bunnie88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So insightful! Thank you everyone!! I think I will look at it more. It definitely sounds like there are some great benefits with Keto and even some awesome benefits with a traditional diet 😊
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I can’t handle high amount of fats (upset stomach) and I do great with carbs so Keto it’s not good a good diet style...For me ;)
    And I still lost 45+ lbs
  • Z_Bunnie88
    Z_Bunnie88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Z_Bunnie88 wrote: »
    So insightful! Thank you everyone!! I think I will look at it more. It definitely sounds like there are some great benefits with Keto and even some awesome benefits with a traditional diet 😊

For weight loss, there’s no long term advantage to keto over any other diet that creates a calorie deficit - since the mechanism for weight loss always comes down to calories.

That said, for long term success - building a plan that you find sustainable, satiating and enjoyable is really crucial and that’s what I think some people experience with keto. If you find fat satiating, or find certain carb heavy foods to be difficult to moderate, and you don’t mind cutting down/out foods that are higher in carbs (which includes things like fruits and some veggies, grains, etc) then this may be a plan that will work for you. Do a little more research and try it out if you want but don’t be discouraged if you decide not to stick with it. There are lots of ways to achieve weight loss goals, it’s very individualized and sometimes it takes trial and error to build a plan that works for you.

Thank you! You are so right. It’s definitely about finding the right plan that’s enjoyable. I’ll definitely do some more research and maybe talk to a nutritionist to find a good fit for me
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There is a Keto Thread and Low Carb thread on this site where you can get some excellent info/guidance. Some very helpful folks on those threads. Check them out - it will help.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • mattaturtle
    mattaturtle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’ve been doing Keto for two months now. Results have been good...35 pounds lost so far. What I like about it is that at no time in the last two months have I been hungry. I count carbs and just keep an eye on calories. It is very restrictive of course but I’m still able to get enough filling food in me to keep the cravings away. Also what I like about it is I’m losing weight without having to work out everyday. I’ve actually only worked out a few time over the course of the last two months. Good luck to you! 😊