Sorry, how many servings per packet?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...And the frozen lasagna they sell (Zinetti) has 7 servings per pan. Who cuts a lasagna into 7 pieces. A pan of lasagna needs to be an even number of servings.

1 is an odd number, and is the appropriate number of servings for a pan of lasagna. :smile:

While I appreciate the sentiment, I could not have done that even at 330+ lbs. :)

But you need to join our group......

There @quiksylver296 You happy?
  • Floatingpencil
    Floatingpencil Posts: 25 Member
    It's ridiculous things like the ones listed here that make me detest the very word 'serving'. Too many times I've seen something like a bag of popcorn with one of those 'obviously marketed for dieters' names and 'Only 90 calories!' on the front, only to pick it up and realise that there are supposed to be three 'servings' in the bag, but you have to go digging to find that out. I'm rarely caught out anymore, but it's still frustrating - the more so because the intention is obviously to fool people.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    A serving of a prepared round pan cake is 1/9 th of a pan. Who cuts cake into 9 identical wedges and then tops it with 2 tbsps of frosting?

1/9th of a round pan! LOL How do you even do that?? You'd have to get a measuring tape out. They couldn't just make it 1/8th?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I was looking at some trail mix at Whole Foods; caught my eye as it was 50% off. Obviously more than a single snack; I guessed may 6 or 8 servings. It was 19 servings at around 200 calories each. Their food may be sourced from what many people think is healthier (organic, non-gmo, milled in the presence of a Zen master, etc) but most of it isn't low calorie. they have a glazed cinnamon bun with pecans that isn't huge or anything but is 1070 calories.

That made me laugh.. I don't understand all the fuss over Whole Foods. They put in a new WF, and people around here get SOOO excited. I mean it's fine I guess. But I don't understand the appeal. Plus you'll pay a lot more.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    I seem to recall making a complaint to a company, I no longer recall which, about the ludicrous serving sizes that weren't reality, and got some trash answer about how the government (USDA or FDA, forgot which they tried to claim) has set the serving size for certain foods so that's what they have to use, regardless of how it's packaged.

I think that was an artful dodge by a bored customer service rep who heard that complaint too many times.

Granted on ice cream, its most always a half-cup, but on cereal you'll see half cup, 3/4 cup, 1/4, and who knows what else they might like to say. I think on things like candy bars they set whatever serving size is going to be sound low calorie! Normally folks do not buy a regular sized candy bar and expect it to be two or more servings! Youre planning to eat the dang thing! (When i did serious sugar restriction back when i was uninformed about weight loss however I did plan to eat like 2 squares of of a Dove bar at a time, but that is definitely not normal. Also definitely not sustainable for me. I regained it ALL.)

The heavier the cereal, the less amount they say of course. The only cereal (that I eat) that I find to give a decent amount for the grams allowed as a serving is currently Multigrain Cheerios (of which i usually buy the house brand copy for half the price). 29 grams of cheerios (probably all of them, I just like the multigrain ones better) is actually quite a decent bowl, because those things are tiny and very light!

Then again Im accustomed to 1200-1300 calorie days because Im only 5 foot 3 and well lets just say getting on in years. :)
  • ConnieT1030
    edited August 2018
    Im a fan of frozen pizza (only because its cheaper than Pizza Hut which I also love) and it does seem to be the trend to claim "5 servings" per box. If I get frozen pizza though, I do the thing where you figure out the whole container then divide by however much Im going to eat (half, hopefully!) but very few pizzas will fit in my calories that way, and any less Im going to be looking for the "main course" afterwards.

I do however like the Digiornos thin and crispy garden vegetable pizza, its 210 per slice (1/3), so i toss some frozen turkey sausage or the like on top and have the whole thing :) (When I have significant exercise calories to use!)
    Still trying to figure out though, why 1/3 of the pizza is 210 calories, but the whole pizza however is listed on the back as 650. Um, math much? Even comparing the grams of 1 serving to 3 servings is exactly 3 times the grams. But I guess they think you're eating the cardboard or something to get the extra 20? Any ideas??
    Proof.
    z05y8scwkm2k.jpg
    zr6joepv95ky.jpg

eta: worse, the nutrients dont even add up - the amount on the right is NOT 3x the amount on the left! wut?!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Rounding errors, maybe? If you add up via the macro grams and round to the nearest 5 calories, you get the 210 and 650. And rounding errors could explain the difference between the 2 sets of grams if they do the _.5 rounding to the nearest even value rule rather than rounding up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    ...And the frozen lasagna they sell (Zinetti) has 7 servings per pan. Who cuts a lasagna into 7 pieces. A pan of lasagna needs to be an even number of servings.

1 is an odd number, and is the appropriate number of servings for a pan of lasagna. :smile:

While I appreciate the sentiment, I could not have done that even at 330+ lbs. :)

Meh. You didn't sell it much.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    (snip)... got some trash answer about how the government (USDA or FDA, forgot which they tried to claim) has set the serving size for certain foods so that's what they have to use, regardless of how it's packaged.
    I think that was an artful dodge by a bored customer service rep who heard that complaint too many times.
    @ConnieT1030
    The U.S. government does regulate 'serving size'. Companies wouldn't want ridiculous sizes, they want you to consume as much of their product as possible. Government mandated a standard for all labels to follow, here is the outline for serving size in government speak.
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    The U.S. government does regulate 'serving size'. Companies wouldn't want ridiculous sizes, they want you to consume as much of their product as possible. Government mandated a standard for all labels to follow, here is the outline for serving size in government speak.
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12
    The government does regulate but with industry advice. Lobbying works. For example, Pam's 1/3rd or 1/4th of a second serving size lets them round down so that a serving has zero calories and zero fat, even though it's almost all fat.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Meh. You didn't sell it much.

Right? He barely tried! I have my suspicions :huh:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Granted on ice cream, its most always a half-cup, but on cereal you'll see half cup, 3/4 cup, 1/4, and who knows what else they might like to say. I think on things like candy bars they set whatever serving size is going to be sound low calorie! Normally folks do not buy a regular sized candy bar and expect it to be two or more servings! Youre planning to eat the dang thing! (When i did serious sugar restriction back when i was uninformed about weight loss however I did plan to eat like 2 squares of of a Dove bar at a time, but that is definitely not normal. Also definitely not sustainable for me. I regained it ALL.)

The heavier the cereal, the less amount they say of course. The only cereal (that I eat) that I find to give a decent amount for the grams allowed as a serving is currently Multigrain Cheerios (of which i usually buy the house brand copy for half the price). 29 grams of cheerios (probably all of them, I just like the multigrain ones better) is actually quite a decent bowl, because those things are tiny and very light!

Nearly all the cereals we eat, and there are several kinds that come and go because teenagers, have a serving size of 27-33 grams. The volume (in cups) varies quite a bit. An interesting side note on that is that nearly all of them are within 10 calories of 120 without milk, even the sugary kids' cereals like Lucky Charms (which I eat sometimes because they are magically delicious). My favorite is the Oats and Almonds (I forget what the name brand is called; all the generics I have tried are pretty good) but one of my kids discovered it and I am lucky to get a bowl out of every other box. He eats 4 bowls as a serving...
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I remember being really annoyed a while ago when I saw the suggested servings was 1.6 servings per package.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Over the past several years manufactures have been reducing the size of the packages, so the servings per package have been reduced as well.
  • ConnieT1030
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    (snip)... got some trash answer about how the government (USDA or FDA, forgot which they tried to claim) has set the serving size for certain foods so that's what they have to use, regardless of how it's packaged.
    @ConnieT1030

Thanks for the link, sorry never saw an alert that you tagged me.
    Looking at the chart on that page it makes more sense why I have been confused why two of the same type of products can have a different serving "size"- its mandated in grams, but for example a slice of bread will have different weights, so while one company says 1 slice is a serving, another quotes it as 2 slices for a serving.
    So really, the one is just heavier! So now I get it. :)

Still, I have to wonder about these people they found to survey (they said they based it on surveys where possible) that only eat that few cookies or that small portion of a candy bar at a sitting lol Clearly, they didn't ask ME. :D