Sorry, how many servings per packet?

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    Yup, bought naan once thinking it was 180 calories per piece. Wow great deal right... Then I rechecked the pkg and saw it was for half a piece? Who eats half a piece of bread?

This is the one I came to mention. Naan always seems to have half a piece as the serving size and it drives me crazy. Who is cutting that little six-inch round in half?

I like to use them as the base for a quick pizza-type snack for my husband, but I can't bring myself to eat them because 300 calories for a boring piece of bread...nope.

Yup bought it for pizza and was horrified when I realized I had been fooled. AFTER I ate it of course, lol. Never again.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Yup, bought naan once thinking it was 180 calories per piece. Wow great deal right... Then I rechecked the pkg and saw it was for half a piece? Who eats half a piece of bread?

This is the one I came to mention. Naan always seems to have half a piece as the serving size and it drives me crazy. Who is cutting that little six-inch round in half?

I like to use them as the base for a quick pizza-type snack for my husband, but I can't bring myself to eat them because 300 calories for a boring piece of bread...nope.

Is this a bad moment to say that I've always had half a naan bread as a portion size? (normal sized, not mini naan obviously) Sometimes we used to rip them into thirds (but only when there was loads of other food and they were big naans)
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Not necessarily a serving size but at a place like wetherspoons you get the burger calories without the chips included. So many calories I can only justify it if we're having a super long hike and end up at the pub or I've worked out a lot that day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Ramen... 1/2 block :)

I found a recipe for a fabulous Asian ramen soup and to get the carbs and calories where I wanted it had to split the ramen in half. So yes, I am that person who only eats half a ramen at a time ;)
  • elizawho48
    elizawho48 Posts: 10 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Lots of individually packaged muffins and cookies etc. will list a serving as "half a muffin" like wtf?? Who eats half a muffin? And a bag of chips at Jimmy Johns, a serving is "half a bag" ? um what? Why would you sell them individually packaged if it's not meant to be ONE SERVING!

YES!!! The chips at Jimmy Johns have hung me more than once. That drives me crazy!! Who can eat half a bag?? I sure can’t! 🤐
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Microwave Popcorn. That should come with an advanced degree to figure out the maths needed to determine 1 serving size.
    THIS!!! What is the point of giving us the calories for '1 TBSP unpopped'? I need that *kitten* popped!

I get a bag of plain kernels and pop it in a pan (with oil).

Jolly Time claims one serving is 2 T / 33 grams, but I like 44 grams, which is actually 1/4 C.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Deviette wrote: »

Is this a bad moment to say that I've always had half a naan bread as a portion size? (normal sized, not mini naan obviously) Sometimes we used to rip them into thirds (but only when there was loads of other food and they were big naans)

I have naan more as a main component of a meal, like wrapped around a salad (instead of a tortilla or pita) or as a flatbread with toppings, so half a piece is a sad serving.

If you're just using them to mop up a sauce or something or accompany a meal, then I guess half a piece is reasonable, but I don't really eat bread with meals like that so I don't know.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Some frozen pizzas give a serving size as 1/5 of a pizza. Cutting a pizza into 5 pieces is awkward. I doubt anyone is really cutting their pizza that way.

Serving size of one pizza = one pizza! :D

They could list it that way and it would make sense. The point is no one is cutting the round pizza into 5 slices .