August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @travelling_lots I mostly go sockless, but if it's wicked cold, I go with a basic merino wool hiking sock or the Mizuno Breath Thermo
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @travelling_lots I mostly go sockless, but if it's wicked cold, I go with a basic merino wool hiking sock or the Mizuno Breath Thermo

Thank you. I give both a try if I can find them.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Well, I almost fell asleep in the bath tub trying to update that ticker counter. It seemed like it went for a walk doing the 16,062 steps I needed to add. And yet still not added. Lol
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    New here walking while I recover. Physio said three months till I can run.
    Based on my garmin n this is what I've done so far. My goal this month is 70,000 km

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzOeWn3/exercise.png

70,000 km ?!?!?! YOU ARE A BEAST!!! A very fast beast!

Or maybe that was a typo? :)

---
    Lol
    Oh man. And here I was worried about getting the ticker graph on. Thanks

I think I need more carbs for my brain.
    Does it look normal now?
    Still can't get the graphic on just the link Can't win here

Did you get it figured out? I don't mess with the ticker any more. You figure your monthly walking goal? 70km maybe?

I think y'all missed the original post from @travelling_lots.
    Hi everyone,
    Based on my garmin n this is what I've done so far. My goal this month is 70,000 steps
    url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w3pVXZB/

So it's 70,000 steps actually
    As far as the ticker goes, you just copy everything inside (and including) the
    [img].....[/img]

tags

---
    Lol thank you.
    exercise.png
    Now, I went back in to edit, almost fell asleep in bath tub waiting for it to update. And still hasn't.
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Scott6255 Omg it works. Thank you so much. Now, my issue is updating it.

I'm trying to eat less carbs. Not sure if that's what's making me lose marbles doing this. Lol

Oh great instead of adding to update it's taken off my steps back zero
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options
    exercise.png
    Thanks,
    @scott6255 @PastorVincent I think I have figured out now. Thanks guys!
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    The ticker is retarded. Avoid it.
    Socks? I skip them entirely.
    --
    Yeah mine is subtracting instead of adding

exercise.png
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Based on my garmin n this is what I've done so far. My goal this month is 70,000 km

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzOeWn3/exercise.png

70,000 km ?!?!?! YOU ARE A BEAST!!! A very fast beast!

Or maybe that was a typo? :)

---
    Lol
    Oh man. And here I was worried about getting the ticker graph on. Thanks

I think I need more carbs for my brain.
    Does it look normal now?
    Still can't get the graphic on just the link Can't win here

Did you get it figured out? I don't mess with the ticker any more. You figure your monthly walking goal? 70km maybe?

---
    I'm pulling my hair out. I hot the graph on, but it's subtracted my steps not added I'm back to zero
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options

exercise.png

Last try last time if not working,I'm done with tracker.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Last try last time if not working,I'm done with tracker.

for me it shows 42 of 70 steps done. The ticker often does not show an update for you until "cache" is timed out...eventually it catches up.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am googly-eyed at the money that some of you spend! I am an extreme couponer / deal hunter / thrifter (you get the idea) and I have a price cut-off for everything. When @PastorVincent posted the saucony sale the other day I got 4 pair of the $120+ styles for a total of $100. I have 9 pairs of brand new shoes in my closet because when I find them that cheap, I buy multiple so that I never have to spend more than my cut-off price. I shop discount stores, sales, use coupon codes, and gift cards. I buy discounted gift cards to use online, and I also use rebates. If you don't use ebates, you totally should! You can use my link and we both get a bonus!

ebates.com/r/APRILR713

Also raise.com is where I get the gift cards. I find good prices on rakuten.com.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Re: 'cheap' sport -

I go to TK-Maxx (is it called TJ- Maxx in the US?) where they have discount big brands for my workout clothes. That way I can get the all singing all dancing stuff for £20-£30 rather than the stupid full price. I found shorts in Sports Direct but have moral issues about the way they treat their staff.

socks - whatever works. I'm currently wearing Moremiles socks, but have some twinskin ones for longer runs. I've stopped having blisters in my arches so whether this is shoes, socks or experience I don't know.

Shoes - yeah, I'll pay full price, because my feet are what keep me standing all day. I go by comfort not 'gait analysis'. Would like to get more into minimalist shoes, I have a couple of pairs of vivobarefoot.

Everything I buy needs to be multi-purpose - so running clothes translate to gym clothes, and wet weather gear has to be good for hiking.

But then we get into the pack territory and my stash seems pretty large - there's the simple flipbelt for morning runs where I take not a lot more than my keys and maybe a phone. Then there's the waist pack which I can fit a small bottle into, and a waterproof, for casual longer runs. Then there's the race vest which is hydration compatible, pus soft bottles in the front etc, plus space for a jacket and my cheese sandwiches. Then there's the slightly bigger backpack which works well for running but also is good for day hikes and doesn't make me look like a tw*t as the race vest does on a simple hike.

Race costs - I tend to favour trail races, which are less expensive as they don't have to deal with road closures. So a 10k local road race might be £40, but I can do a 10k trail race for £7. My marathon I think cost me £35 plus £15 to camp for the weekend.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    a short run this morning - I'm trying to get back into the regime of running in the mornings, so am starting with short runs round the park this week (1.8miles). Next week I am settling into a 5k running programme, with the idea that it incorporates speedwork so might get me faster. At the end of it I'll do a Parkrun to see how I've improved if at all.

I've got no real races or targets planned yet. I deferred a HM place last year for a race at the beginning of November, but I don't know yet if it's actually happening. Next year I have a place in a spring HM, and am repeating a marathon in June.

I'm also toying with the idea of joining a mountaineering expedition skills week. I've never done any real mountain stuff, and might not be planning to do much winter snow type expeditions, but it could give me something to aim for.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    8/1: 1.19
    8/3: 4.07
    8/4: 5
    8/5: 6.04
    8/9: 2.9
    8/11: 17
    8/12: 3
    8/13: 4.5
    8/14: 1.1
    8/16: 2
    8/18: 5
    8/19: 6.5
    8/21: 4.5
    8/23: 1.2

Total: 64.4/100

8/25 Pint Pacer 5K
    9/30 Wineglass Marathon

I don’t know what was wrong with me last night, but my legs felt like lead. I just could not get going, and my pace for 1.2 was ridiculously slow. Today is supposed to be a strength training day, but I am going to try to run the remainder of miles from yesterday tonight.

Tomorrow is a 5K race, but I don’t think I will push too hard since I have a long run Sunday, and I pooped out on the last 20 mile run.

As far as running gear, I try to buy what I can on sale. Ross (like TJ Maxx) often has some of the bigger brands for cheap. I have also found, surprisingly, that Old Navy wicking tanks/shorts/capris work well for me. I do spend a little more on socks for long runs (Smartwool).
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Machafin wrote: »
    Aug to date miles ran - 15.13 miles (6 workouts)