August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @Elise4270 If you yave a Sam's Club or other type membership store I believe they all have similar travel deals.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,685 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ya. You can pay them back 8! Maybe next year. And ya know, we still need Alaska. Bet that's some wicked running. I dont wanna go if bears are involved. I can "run" a volcano with no worries. But will pass on the bears.
    Always wanted to do this Alaska running cruise: https://www.runningcruise.com/

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Ya. You can pay them back 8! Maybe next year. And ya know, we still need Alaska. Bet that's some wicked running. I dont wanna go if bears are involved. I can "run" a volcano with no worries. But will pass on the bears.

Did not know that was a thing. Tell ya what. Dh is a gypsy. He loves to travel. So, if/when others wanna go. Im available. I just have to work on some distance running, (marathon- to do Dennis right).
  • Elise4270
    @elise4270 The latest issue of Trail Runner magazine that just came out had 'awards' for some odd categories. I don't recall the category, but there was an award to some runners who lost time because they came upon some bears 'engaged in romantic activities' (or something like that... I don't remember how it was exactly phrased) and had to wait.

Bare bear love.... Such a sweet, er sweat filled nervous moment.❤️❤️❤️ 👁️👁️😲 ❤️❤️

How long they have to wait? 😆😍
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member

Did not know that was a thing. Tell ya what. Dh is a gypsy. He loves to travel. So, if/when others wanna go. Im available. I just have to work on some distance running, (marathon- to do Dennis right).

You think that's a thing . . . I booked my hotel at Boston this year with the Marathon Tours premium package, which got me on their mailing list. Turns out Marathon Tours markets to world-traveler marathon runners. Lots of scenic destinations, and marketing push for people who want to run all 6 Abbot World Majors or run a marathon on all 7 continents. That's, um, out of my league financially and out of my comfort zone travel-wise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    fyi ultra help requested by yours truly
  • Elise4270
    MobyCarp wrote: »

You think that's a thing . . . I booked my hotel at Boston this year with the Marathon Tours premium package, which got me on their mailing list. Turns out Marathon Tours markets to world-traveler marathon runners. Lots of scenic destinations, and marketing push for people who want to run all 6 Abbot World Majors or run a marathon on all 7 continents. That's, um, out of my league financially and out of my comfort zone travel-wise.

Crap. I thought running was a poor mans sport. I get rich, I'm just gonna get fat and come cheer yall on from my private jet or blimp rental. Haha!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi everyone,
    New here walking while I recover. Physio said three months till I can run.
    Based on my garmin n this is what I've done so far. My goal this month is 70,000 km

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzOeWn3/exercise.png

70,000 km ?!?!?! YOU ARE A BEAST!!! A very fast beast!

Or maybe that was a typo? :)
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi everyone,
    New here walking while I recover. Physio said three months till I can run.
    Based on my garmin n this is what I've done so far. My goal this month is 70,000 km

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzOeWn3/exercise.png

70,000 km ?!?!?! YOU ARE A BEAST!!! A very fast beast!

Or maybe that was a typo? :)

---
    Lol
    Oh man. And here I was worried about getting the ticker graph on. Thanks

I think I need more carbs for my brain.
    Does it look normal now?
    Still can't get the graphic on just the link Can't win here
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

Crap. I thought running was a poor mans sport. I get rich, I'm just gonna get fat and come cheer yall on from my private jet or blimp rental. Haha!

That's what I thought too but I am pretty sure I've spent a few grand on running just since I started 15 or whatever months ago.

Split between shoes and race entry fees and a Garmin and and and...

Even before I started looking at races it felt like I was spending money left and right - shoes, long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, bras, shorts, shorter shorts, longer shorts, capris, buffs, hat, sunscreen (SO MUCH SUNSCREEN), socks, shoelaces... I guess some people already have workout clothes, but not me! I started in head-to-toe cotton and had to replace everything piece by piece.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

That's what I thought too but I am pretty sure I've spent a few grand on running just since I started 15 or whatever months ago.

Split between shoes and race entry fees and a Garmin and and and...

Even before I started looking at races it felt like I was spending money left and right - shoes, long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, bras, shorts, shorter shorts, longer shorts, capris, buffs, hat, sunscreen (SO MUCH SUNSCREEN), socks, shoelaces... I guess some people already have workout clothes, but not me! I started in head-to-toe cotton and had to replace everything piece by piece.

1 pair of shoes $120-$150
    1 UA Shirt $50 billion dollars (on sale)
    1 UA Shorts $30 billion dollars (on sale)
    Or something like that. :lol:

I can not deal with how expensive a lot of running gear is! I've managed to find acceptable cheaper options on Amazon mostly and thank you again for the tip on UA socks, they've been great for shorter runs, although I've had to order more recently because the low cut slipped down on one of my recent long runs and I didn't notice until I was in blister land (also, it is really hard to find women's socks that aren't super low cut - WTF?). I'm starting to think about winter running because in Minnesota winter can happen at any time after August, and I'm going to have to replace pretty much everything. Eek...