August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well my regular running buddy is out of town and I don't really know the other girl who came and ran with us twice... so figured I'd let it up to her to call me if she wants to run. She must really want to, because she just called. That means I need to go to bed NOW so I can get up early. I did do some housework today, and the quad feels great, so hopefully will be okay running slowly with her and then I'll decide if I want to go further.

Oh and to answer the previous question that I never got around to about if running ever gets easier:
    I've been running over 2 years now, and it did not start to get fun until sometime during the third month. It's not always fun now, and the first 15-30 minutes are frequently harder, but I do have a lot of great moments running. I recommend committing to sticking with it at LEAST the whole way through an 8-week C25K-type program, before someone decides they really hate running. And by then you might be addicted enough to keep running, even if you still hate it.

I'm in week 8 now and still don't enjoy it. But I decided to continue until September when my first 5K is scheduled. Just to finish this chapter. It's super fascinating to see the progress and how far I've come in this few weeks but I still don't like it much. So I will re-evaluate it in September, although I hope that I can manage to continue because I think it's a good thing to do. But there will be a reality check anyway when it's going to be dark and wet in the mornings. I can handle some drizzle but full-blown autumn or even winter... not sure about that yet ;)
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Ever since I hit and then surpassed the magical 180bpm cadence, I haven't been able to run with any music at all. A few days ago I tried it again with a metronome because I felt like my cadence has fallen slightly under. Nope, couldn't run to it at all.

I tried audiobooks, which mostly proved to be pretty good company. Then I made the decision to listen to Murakami Haruki's 1Q84 during a long, hot, very boring marathon. When I started getting tired at 25km, the female lead was lying on the floor with an evil cult leader talking. By the time I was grinding out 40km, they were still lying there talking. That's not a book I'm going to be re-reading.

(Oh and there is no moral to this story. I just really wanted to talk.)

Haha, that is exactly one of the books I still have in my audible library.
    I'm currently somewhere between 168 and 173, which is manageable with music. I just recently learned that the goal is that high. I always thought it's only me, because I'm a gnome with extra short legs, so I naturally have a very high cadence, compared to most other people.
    So still with the audiobooks then? Other than 1Q84 that is ;)
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    missevil wrote: »
    Ever since I hit and then surpassed the magical 180bpm cadence, I haven't been able to run with any music at all. A few days ago I tried it again with a metronome because I felt like my cadence has fallen slightly under. Nope, couldn't run to it at all.

I tried audiobooks, which mostly proved to be pretty good company. Then I made the decision to listen to Murakami Haruki's 1Q84 during a long, hot, very boring marathon. When I started getting tired at 25km, the female lead was lying on the floor with an evil cult leader talking. By the time I was grinding out 40km, they were still lying there talking. That's not a book I'm going to be re-reading.

I'm currently somewhere between 168 and 173, which is manageable with music. I just recently learned that the goal is that high. I always thought it's only me, because I'm a gnome with extra short legs, so I naturally have a very high cadence, compared to most other people.

Listened to Japanese talk show radio for a while, I understand just enough for it to go right over my head :D

I find myself going back to Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes a lot (British accents please!). What I talk about when I talk about running, if I need some extra inspiration. Poetry is sometimes good - Walt Whitman and long hilly runs go pretty well together.

I can't really listen to mystery or sci-fi when running, I get too caught up in the "what the kitten happens next?!" and always want to cut the run short to go home and read the book.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Listened to Japanese talk show radio for a while, I understand just enough for it to go right over my head :D

I find myself going back to Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes a lot (British accents please!). What I talk about when I talk about running, if I need some extra inspiration. Poetry is sometimes good - Walt Whitman and long hilly runs go pretty well together.

I can't really listen to mystery or sci-fi when running, I get too caught up in the "what the kitten happens next?!" and always want to cut the run short to go home and read the book.

Aubie books are ALL I listen to while I run, mostly SciFi and Fantasy. I find the "What happens next??" actually helps keep me out running so I can hear more. :lol:

"I really don't feel like running, but I GOTTA KNOW Vin find the Well? And is Ham alright??" heh.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Aubie books are ALL I listen to while I run, mostly SciFi and Fantasy. I find the "What happens next??" actually helps keep me out running so I can hear more. :lol:

"I really don't feel like running, but I GOTTA KNOW Vin find the Well? And is Ham alright??" heh.

That's exactly why I got hooked on Zombie Run! It combines the music that makes me want to run with a storyline that's just enough to keep me interested and make me want to keep going or head out in the first place without taking over my entire mind.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

I began listening to audio books and I find they are very good for long or easy runs but speed work and intervals don't mesh well for me. 8 easy miles listening to a book on mindfulness for me today.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

High five for the Sanderson reference!

hg1xxq9mq1y1.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm currently experimenting with the music. When I use a 150-170 BpM playlist, I feel that I'm a bit faster but I'm not. Today, I was using a playlist which didn't contain any "runnable" songs and kept my own pace and I was roughly 10s faster per Km. That was very surprising. I'll keep experimenting and maybe even try listening to audio books instead. I have so many in my library and hate listening to them on my regular days. (I prefer reading myself). And if I don't need a beat, that might be an option as well. Although I think the music is still pushing even without providing a runnable beat.

I read that book. Took me almost an entire month to finish it.