Options

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I think i need to feed my tired legs.

So jealous. I struggled to get 2.7 tonight, dh ran 10. Frick. 10? I remember when i could out run him.

My brain says pizza is good recovery food, but the smart part of my brain, that's tiny, says "no pizza, bad habit". So guess i need to plan some meals.

What does everyone else feed their tired legs? Bbq? Roast? Acorn squash? Slow cooked beans? Coconut water? A foam roller?

Because I am still eating to lose, my meals don't change a lot from run to non-run days. Usually protein heavy and low carb(well low refined carbs) are what gets me through the day with the occasional chocolate treat, ice cream or pizza thrown in to satisfy urges.

No run today, another PT circuit training day, upper body and core. Tempo run tomorrow, we'll see on the distance, and short run or intervals Friday, then LSR on Sunday.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options

Aug to date miles ran - 11.48 miles (5 workouts)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    missevil wrote: »
    I seriously need more strength in my legs. I really thought I'm ok in that regards but my legs are jelly.
    I can't even do proper intervals or any other techniques (in Germany, there is a Running ABC, I assume, something like that is available anywhere... it includes stuff like skipping, sideways crossing, high knees and alike).
    Even when I add a short sprint, to catch a traffic light, my legs are almost giving in. Running at my own pace, very small steps and an okay tempo is not the issue. I can do that for a while without any problems. But actually stressing the legs with a different move is not really possible.
    But hey, I'm still a total beginner and I'm happy about my normal running style, which seems to work nicely. Everything else is open for improvement over the next weeks, months, years (or as long as I manage to keep this sport up)

Keep at it. Your legs/hips/core will get stronger and before you know it you'll be running distances/terrain that were a bit difficult.

Its good you are doing some running strength/muscle recruitment exercises. Theres not a formal program here in the US, but many self sought plans available. Some are lucky enough to have acess to running clinics.

The running gurus may correct me here, but i think ypu can hold off on any speed work for the first year of running. So i wouldn't worry about it being hard or maybe wait until you feel stronger. Most importantly, you don't want to push yourself to an overuse injury.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I seriously need more strength in my legs. I really thought I'm ok in that regards but my legs are jelly.
    I can't even do proper intervals or any other techniques (in Germany, there is a Running ABC, I assume, something like that is available anywhere... it includes stuff like skipping, sideways crossing, high knees and alike).
    Even when I add a short sprint, to catch a traffic light, my legs are almost giving in. Running at my own pace, very small steps and an okay tempo is not the issue. I can do that for a while without any problems. But actually stressing the legs with a different move is not really possible.
    But hey, I'm still a total beginner and I'm happy about my normal running style, which seems to work nicely. Everything else is open for improvement over the next weeks, months, years (or as long as I manage to keep this sport up)

Keep at it. Your legs/hips/core will get stronger and before you know it you'll be running distances/terrain that were a bit difficult.

Its good you are doing some running strength/muscle recruitment exercises. Theres not a formal program here in the US, but many self sought plans available. Some are lucky enough to have acess to running clinics.

The running gurus may correct me here, but i think ypu can hold off on any speed work for the first year of running. So i wouldn't worry about it being hard or maybe wait until you feel stronger. Most importantly, you don't want to push yourself to an overuse injury.

I'm with @Elise4270 here - I wouldn't worry about speed work or any real drills until you can get your endurance up a bit.

What I WOULD suggest (and I'm biased) is doing one run a week on a trail rather than a road surface. Start gentle with say a gravel path, and start small - go out for TIME not distance. Trails are a great way to strengthen the legs, ankles and core, because the body has to respond to the uneven surface. You'll find you are much slower on a trail than on a road which i why I say go out for a specific time rather than trying to reach some distance.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    August 1 – 5 miles
    August 4 – 9.2 miles
    August 6 – 6.2 miles
    August 7 – 8.1 miles
    August 10 - 6.1 miles
    August 11 – 11 miles (am); 4 miles (pm)
    August 13 – 4.47 miles
    August 15 – 5 miles
    August 17 – 5.15 miles for Dennis (am); 4 miles (pm)
    August 19 – 4.1 miles
    August 20 – 4.7 miles
    August 22 – 5 miles
    82.05/125 miles

At least 5 miles this morning. My watch says 4.4 but it took forever to sync this morning and I didn’t want to hold the rest of the group up waiting for it. Based on where I started it in the run, I’m thinking I got around 5.2 but I will count it as 5. I did Runner’s World Iron Strength for Runners workout yesterday morning and my legs were feeling it this morning. It’s been an easy week at work but for some reason I’m so tired today.

Upcoming Races:
    September 1 – Iron Mountain 16-Miler
    September 7-8 – Blue Ridge Relay
    October 20 – Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon
    November 11 – Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've started swimming on the days I don't run. Not very far or very fast because my technique is appalling, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm debating triathlons after my marathon. I haven't swam since maybe high shcool? (Like real swimming not just hanging around the pool/ocean) and I haven't ridden my bike in like 7 or 8 years. My bike is old, probably needs new tires and a checkup.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    8/19 6.58 miles Look! I rested....and then I went for 75 min bike ride
    8/20 6.03 miles OMG! twice! I have also put on new shoes!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

August '18
    Goal = 50Km / Achieved so far = 33

1. 3,4 Km
    5. 4.18 Km
    9. 4,1 Km
    11. 6.3Km
    14. 4,2 Km
    18. 5,6 Km
    22. 5,25 Km

Possible race(s)
    9.9. 5k Women's run (registered)
    23.9. 3K Venus' run

I'm a huge fan of progressive strength programs for everyone (especially women and older folks) and I think personally it has been a huge part of my running really taking off this year. There's a great list here and I found the people in that thread (and forum) mostly very helpful and welcoming to newbie lifters. Not as awesome as the folks here, but that's a high bar!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    OKay, so I just downloaded the StavistiX app. Holy stats, Batman! What are these "Zone" things?