Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Options
I’ve recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is an auto-immune condition that affects your joints due to inflammation. Some days I can’t walk or hold a cup of tea because the joints in my hands and feet are so swollen. I am currently on medication to try and control the disease but these all come with their own issues and nasty side effects and I would like to minimise them if at all possible.

There are lots of conflicting views on what foods should or should not be avoided to minimise inflammation i.e avoid white potatoes, night shade vegetables, gluten, dairy, soya, corn and mostly foods that I have eaten my whole life. Some people claim that they have come off their medication by radically changing their diets but it sounds so difficult to eliminate such a large group of foods.

Does anyone else suffer from RA that has found a diet that works for them? And if so, can you offer advice? Any references too would be useful.

Thanks

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested vegetarian, the arthritis research site suggested the same but it's only been a week, still in alot of pain currently
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Does your doctor have any opinions?
    My precious coworker claimed that she improved her psoriasis (caused by same immune disorder that causes RA) by changing up her diet according to a book called “the Bible cure for skin disorders” - not sure how much stock I would put In that but I thought it might be worth a read just to see what it has to say. My husband has really bad psoriasis so that’s why I was thinking of reading it. He takes humira which works but is really bad for him and has a lot of side effects. I don’t think he will ever be off medication however.
  • singingsheila50
    singingsheila50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have Anklosing Spondylitis which is Rhuemetoid of the spine I eat mostly veggies and fruit
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have Anklosing Spondylitis which is Rhuemetoid of the spine I eat mostly veggies and fruit

Have you been tested for HLA-B27? Most people with AS have the antigen. So do a lot of people with RA. Google"HLA-B27 no starch diet". There is some actual science to it having to do with a particular gut microbe that is minimized by a low or no starch diet. It's not a general purpose thing for all inflammation; it is specific to being HLA-B27 positive. I am and I get flares of inflammation from time to time. I tried the diet (there is a whole section on it at KickAS.com) and it was just too hard. But I have undifferentiated spondylitis that moderates quite a bit between flares. It might be worth trying for you.
  • dlmcb80
    dlmcb80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just typed a long response and lost it. So I’ll sum up what I typed. I have ankylosing spondylitis, as well, which affects my SI Joints, my hips and my hands.
    I have felt my best when I don’t eat sugar and I eat raw foods. I try to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. I have celiac, as well, and stopped eating meat in February, so I’m still new to recipes that don’t have meat in them, but like you, I never liked it and now it just the smell makes me sick to my stomach. Gluten is a horrible inflammatory, so I would look to removing that from your diet. It take several months to rid your body of it. I eat tempeh and tofu, along with nuts, nut butters (almond butter), plant based milk (chocolate cashew milk is delicious is you need a bit of chocolate in your life every now and again), quinoa, beans and I have limited dairy for protein. I eat a lot of veggies, some fruits and a lot of garlic.
    I have found it’s trial and error. I do suggest taking turmeric by mouth, speak with your dr fort as Im not a dr, or drinking turmeric tea. It’s a great anti inflammatory and they sell the tea bags in the store now. I was making the tea at home and it tasted awful.
    My AS affects my hands, as well-horribly. I can barely move them sometimes because they are so swollen and painful. I suggest the heating packs that you have corn or rice in them that you can heat in the microwave to help with the pain and inflammation. I’m on a bunch of meds; again trial and error.
    Sorry for the long post. Lmk if you have any questions. I hope you get some relief!
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have ME, (basically my brain and inside my spine are chonically inflamed) and the last 2-4 months I have been eating added sugar free, no gluten and no dairy. And it's definitely improved my symptoms a lot. I'm in a lot less pain and have less brainfpg, plus my digestion is finally happy.
    From what I've heard you have to keep eating like this for about 2 years and then you will see definite improvements. There are some days when I do cheat but I regret it in the days after. My symptoms are way worse again, a lot more pain, fatigue, brainfog and I'm back in bed for at least 2 days. I only wanted to try the diet at first and then quit but my body reacts to it so well that I won't stop. I'll miss having cheese, bread and chocolate for the rest of my life but I won't miss having to lay in bed 24/7
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Autoimmune Paleo removes all the inflammatory triggers and then gradually reintroduces some after gut healing has taken place.
  • dlmcb80
    Options
    My doctor suggested vegetarian, the arthritis research site suggested the same but it's only been a week, still in alot of pain currently

Unfortunately, it takes a few months to heal your gut; everyone is different. I would try a gluten free diet, add a good quality probiotic and eat/turmeric. I know I mentioned the turmeric before, but honestly the homemade tea helped sooooo much when my hands were flaring at their worst. I was in steroids for over 2 years. I have been where you are. Keep going! I never thought I would be able gluten free until I HAD to. Make sure you get enough rest, drink a lot of water, avoid processed foods, soda, dairy if you as it is also a huge inflammatory and artificial sweeteners. I have cut out most the dairy from my diet. Friend me if you want. I’m so sorry your hurting. Danielle
  • dlmcb80
    Options

Have you been tested for HLA-B27? Most people with AS have the antigen. So do a lot of people with RA. Google"HLA-B27 no starch diet". There is some actual science to it having to do with a particular gut microbe that is minimized by a low or no starch diet. It's not a general purpose thing for all inflammation; it is specific to being HLA-B27 positive. I am and I get flares of inflammation from time to time. I tried the diet (there is a whole section on it at KickAS.com) and it was just too hard. But I have undifferentiated spondylitis that moderates quite a bit between flares. It might be worth trying for you.

I have AS, too, and am negative for HLA-B27, but have celiac and some other auto immune issues. Research has show that more than 50% of people with AS don’t have a positive HLA-B27, and some who do never get AS or have any symptoms of AS. It’s such a complicated disease as everyone reacts differently.
    The auto immune fatigue, when I’m so tired and uncomfortable I could vomit, can be incredibly overwhelming and it feels like no matter how much I sleep I won’t feel rested. This has improved SO much better with eating healthier and exercising. I hope everyone on here is well and feel free to add me if you want. I know the pain of the “invisible illness.” Danielle
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those weird cases that has RA even though I test negative on the standard test. The joints in some of my fingers are bad enough that you can see it. I also have several other health issues - I've had heart and kidney issues in the past, metabolic issues, migraines, have leg issues from a childhood birth defect, and widespread pain related to autoimmune and injuries from my youth.

I started eating an extremely low carb diet a couple months ago as recommended by my Dr. and the inflammation in my body has gotten a bit better and I've only had half a dozen or so mild migraines. Pain levels are the same and fatigue is the same but it's a start. It's nice to be able to type again.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My wife has spondyloathropathy. Her rheumatologist also recommended cutting back on meat.
    Unfortunately I have a condition for which legumes is a trigger.
    This is probably one small advantage to her on me spending two months in China for each month at home. (otherwise it sux)
  • dlmcb80
    Options
    I'm one of those weird cases that has RA even though I test negative on the standard test. The joints in some of my fingers are bad enough that you can see it. I also have several other health issues - I've had heart and kidney issues in the past, metabolic issues, migraines, have leg issues from a childhood birth defect, and widespread pain related to autoimmune and injuries from my youth.

I started eating an extremely low carb diet a couple months ago as recommended by my Dr. and the inflammation in my body has gotten a bit better and I've only had half a dozen or so mild migraines. Pain levels are the same and fatigue is the same but it's a start. It's nice to be able to type again.

I understand the “weird cases,” believe me. Most people with AS don’t have hand involvement and some of the other symptoms I have. I have horrible looking hands with nodules from Osteoarthritis. I’m glad you’re able to type again. My fatigue and pain varies. This weekend it’s horrible. I hope you feel better. I just stared counting my calories 3 weeks ago and didn’t realize how bad I was eating before. I don’t eat clean all the time, but no meat. I try to avoid dairy, but I do eat cheese.
  • dlmcb80
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    My wife has spondyloathropathy. Her rheumatologist also recommended cutting back on meat.
    Unfortunately I have a condition for which legumes is a trigger.
    This is probably one small advantage to her on me spending two months in China for each month at home. (otherwise it sux)
    What do you eat to get your protein and nutrients? I’m sure that’s very hard for you. ☹️