Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is bodybuilding bad for society, from a body positivity perspective?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    I think discouraging exercise is bad for society.
    I agree, but I didn't think anyone was suggesting that people refrain from exercise in general.

The suggestion was that people should not exercise at a certain level for aesthetic reasons for fear that others may be offended or feel bad about themselves. It shouldn't matter what the motivation for exercising is. If I lift for aesthetic reasons then that is my decision and if someone else has a problem with that then they are the one with an issue. Others have mentioned it throughout this thread, but most who train at a high level are not doing it for a singular reason. A person can want to become stronger and healthier as well as having aesthetic goals. Does this mean overweight people should not lose weight if they are doing it simply so they can look better to themselves? Should they worry about another overweight person getting offended if they work hard to put themselves in a healthy weight range? A lot of people feel much more confident and feel better about themselves when they do lose weight which only increases body positivity.

I think this whole pointless debate comes down to envy. An overweight or obese person may become envious of someone else who has put in a lot of work to look the way they do. The person with the problem is the one who is envious and not the one who is the object of that envy. People need to quit worrying about what everyone else is doing and just focus on becoming the version of themselves that makes them the most happy(regardless of what that body type is).

What he said.
  • aaricflex
    aaricflex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Shaming anyone for any body type is the real problem.