Slow weight loss

Options

Replies

• SRJ5820
    SRJ5820 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    I do know I eat too much crap food, and too much sugar. Maybe that is the issue, by body is not happy with the macros I am consuming.
    But what are you going to eat instead? Are you magically going to enjoy other foods and magically stop craving what you're eating now? If so, why haven't you changed your diet a long time ago?
    What do you mean with "maybe that is the issue" and "my body is not happy with the macros I am consuming"? Do you think the "wrong" foods are preventing you from losing weight? If so, that is not the issue. The issue with eating so much crap and so little food, is that you feel like crap, and when you feel like crap, you don't want to move, you want to eat, and it's easy enough to eat and not move, these days.
    I guess I was hoping people that maybe had have similar stories with mine would be able to give me constructive help. Eat less this, eat more this. Dont eat at this time. Eat more breakfast. Exerecise more. Something helpful. Not "eat less" . You dont measure. Less cals is less weight. That isn't helpful. Or maybe someone would say "oh have the dr run this test".
    Haven't you read a weightloss article in your life? That's what they are filled with. And I suspect it's where you have that idea from. And if it worked, you wouldn't have been asking for help here, you'd tried those tips, and succeeded. But they don't work. But they do appeal to you still. That's why they are given, to appeal, not to work. That's why you struggle. You resist advice that works. Actually, the mainstream weightloss tips is why so many people struggle. Adults should never be told when and what to eat. Adults need to make their own decisions, because that's what they do anyway. Everybody gets tempted to say "screw this". Smart, responsible adults just make it easier to make better decisions, and harder to make bad decisions.[/quote

I'm sure you're trying to help, but sure doesn't seem like it. I am a responsible adult. I eat 1700-1900 calories a day. IM NOT LOSING WEIGHT. I've done this before and lost 100 pounds in a year. It's not like I forgot he to be an adult. What I'm saying is I did this before, and it was relatively easy. Eat less, weigh less. Now it doesn't "work" for me. I am doing the same things I did the first time around and for wahtever reason my body will not drop the weight. That is why I am frustrated and confused. Its like before addding 2 plus 2 was 4, and now for some reason 2 plus 2 is 3 and i cannot figure out why.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    I have been reading this whole thread - and I guess my question to you is what are you trying to get from this discussion? People have said everything they know about losing weight, and apparently you know all of this. If you are eating what MFP tell you to eat and you are not losing weight, then drop your calories by 100 and see what happens. Are you wanting everyone to agree there is something medically wrong with you? And then what? You still aren't losing weight, even if everyone agrees with you. You say you have met with Drs. and met with a nutritionist and you've gotten nothing from seeing them. Perhaps you will need to turn to bariatric surgery this time. I can only imagine how frustrated you are. And btw, if you want to look at my food diary, please do.

It took a lot for me to even begin this thread. I knew exactly what everyone was going to say. I guess I was hoping people that maybe had have similar stories with mine would be able to give me constructive help. Eat less this, eat more this. Dont eat at this time. Eat more breakfast. Exerecise more. Something helpful. Not "eat less" . You dont measure. Less cals is less weight. That isn't helpful. Or maybe someone would say "oh have the dr run this test".

The reason nobody said those things is because (perhaps apart from the doctor in some specific cases) none of them impact your weight loss. You can eat whichever foods you want, so more or less of a particular food will do nothing. It doesn't matter what time you eat. Of course exercise can help increase the calories you burn, but it's not a requirement for weight loss if you control your calories in.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters for weight loss is calories in <calories out.

Perfect. Did you look at my diary? I weigh about 310 pounds right now. I am 6 feet tall. Male, 41 years old. MFP tells me to eat 1940 cals a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I avg 1700-1900 a day, and have plateued. I lost 10 pounds the first 8 weeks, and now nothing.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    Here is my excel spreadsheet for weight lost: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndq44gj3gekryiq/Weight.ods?dl=0
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Hey i don’t really have any new advice for you. My best bets would be to cut out pre-packaged & convenience foods - maybe not completely, lots of people say 80/20 so 20% treats & convenience items (lunchables, pre-cooked stuff) and 80% straight up, I cooked all this oatmeal myself weighed the chicken raw etc.

But that is a ton of work and I feel tired just thinking about it. And having done this all before I can only imagine the frustration. Maybe that’s my future too. This is the first time I’ve successfully lost more than 10lbs.

My SO has regained weight he lost as well, and I can see how tired he is. It’s rough. I think I get why you asked - maybe if someone else could say “this exact thing happened to me, and this is exactly how I fixed it” it would be okay. That’s what I would want to know. An example to follow.

And if you can’t muster the resolve yet to re-do your entire diet, the advice earlier about just cutting your calories by 100 until you see loss is also sound. Bodies aren’t machines to the tune of MFP. It’s not exact. I underate by eating my MFP goal and not knowing how to track my daily activity.

Big hugs about the job loss ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and good luck.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Hey i don’t really have any new advice for you. My best bets would be to cut out pre-packaged & convenience foods - maybe not completely, lots of people say 80/20 so 20% treats & convenience items (lunchables, pre-cooked stuff) and 80% straight up, I cooked all this oatmeal myself weighed the chicken raw etc.

But that is a ton of work and I feel tired just thinking about it. And having done this all before I can only imagine the frustration. Maybe that’s my future too. This is the first time I’ve successfully lost more than 10lbs.
    It's not a ton of work though. And the majority of people (no, not all) could very easily find the time in their schedules to shop for and make healthy meals if they valued their health more than they valued watching TV or fiddling around online or whatever time waster they get sucked into only to look up two hours later and realize it's time to go to bed.
    There are things that I'll do when I'm gung-ho that I know I won't do over the long term. For weight management, if I won't do it over the long term, there's no point in doing it in the short term.

OP, I've lost weight and kept it off by finding convenient things to eat that I like to eat and that keep me in my macro/calorie target range. The microwave is my go-to cooking tool. Most days, breakfast is a frozen sandwich, lunch is oatmeal and a pre-packaged boiled egg, dinner is a frozen dinner plus sauceless steam-in-bag veggies, and late-night snack is a protein bar. I drink tea between meals to keep my hands and mouth busy.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I am also very curious to what the nutritionist and doctors said to you....... kinda left that a little sketchy.... not saying that you are lying that they were no help, but sometimes when we are subjective vs objective we miss things.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    nadizm0228 wrote: »
    stress much? sleep little? I ALWAYS stall when I don't get adequate sleep. And, when I'm stressed, I don't sleep well. Could be a factor that you haven't considered...

Very stressed. Not so much right now, but still am. I lost my job of 24 years last June and was unemployed until June this year. That is when I gained 55 pounds back.

Stress is a bad deal for your body. I would try to get some help with that from a mental health professional if you think it is affecting your life.

Next, every two years is a reasonable timeline to get all the scans done.

I'm sorry about the job, hopefully the new job can support the medical recommendations. However, your health needs to come first.

All the best.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I know that you don't want to hear it but something in your tracking is off. You can troubleshoot that and figure out the issue or keep looking in the wrong places and keep struggling.

You are ingesting fewer calories than your body is using so you are getting some weight loss. Sedentary people lose more slowly because they can't create as much of a deficit and don't have a lot of wiggle room for tracking errors. Figure out a comfortable calorie intake amount that leaves you at a deficit and settle in for the long haul.

Increasing your calorie intake would be counterproductive.

Double-check your database entries for accurate nutrition facts. Log everything immediately before you eat so that you don't forget to log it later. If you have cheat meals/days, log them just as carefully as you log everything else.

Treat this like a science experiment where you are the only subject. Collect the best data that you can and make adjustments from that data.

Thanks. Like I said, I've done this before. I plan out meals days in advance. I use nutrion form labels. I log everything, down to the 5 cal mustard on my sandwhich. I measure everything. This is why it is so frustrating, because I know all of the things to do.
    I wonder if you need new kitchen scales? Just a thought...

• curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I once at 1200 a day, and only lost 2 pounds in 3 months. Then 25 ish fell off in the preceding months. I guess it just takes time. Work = Results!