Where are the Nerds??

Replies

• Skelders88
    Skelders88 Posts: 35 Member
    Hey NERDS! lol

Sorry for interrupting the curling conversation (awesome sport btw) and Harry Potter shirt selfies (and awesome shirt btw), but I just wanted to pop in and represent the anime and manga nerds.

I'm also into gaming (PS4, PC, Switch), LotR, Renaissance Festivals, table top games, computers (3d modeling, video editing, animation, etc), and pretty much everything else that falls into the spectrum of nerdiness.

Also while I'm here, to OP and anyone else, feel free to add me as a friend here on MFP and Pokemon GO (my trainer code is 6711 3098 1586) since that's been a big motivation in keeping me active.

It's nice to meet you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm looking forward to visiting this thread again in the future. Always good to meet like-minded individuals...especially in my neck of the woods here in Pennsylvania...everyone hates that stuff here. :(
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Hey NERDS! lol

Sorry for interrupting the curling conversation (awesome sport btw) and Harry Potter shirt selfies (and awesome shirt btw), but I just wanted to pop in and represent the anime and manga nerds.

I'm also into gaming (PS4, PC, Switch), LotR, Renaissance Festivals, table top games, computers (3d modeling, video editing, animation, etc), and pretty much everything else that falls into the spectrum of nerdiness.

Also while I'm here, to OP and anyone else, feel free to add me as a friend here on MFP and Pokemon GO (my trainer code is 6711 3098 1586) since that's been a big motivation in keeping me active.

It's nice to meet you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm looking forward to visiting this thread again in the future. Always good to meet like-minded individuals...especially in my neck of the woods here in Pennsylvania...everyone hates that stuff here. :(

Welcome, my man. I want to take part in the curling convo, but don't know jack about it. Haha. Nice to meet you, my man. Let's have some fun!
  • yumesoraki
    yumesoraki Posts: 4,859 Member
    @danielle77speed HP is always a free pass ^.^
    @philosearcher I'm always in need of more Pokemon Go buddies (about to go out to walk my eevee)!
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    sdanemrtn wrote: »
    Nerd/Geek here.

Former vintage car collector/hoarder who also has a soft spot for 80s Shelby Dodges hence the user name.

Would not be opposed to seeing some of the vintage cars. The important question with Star Trek is who is your favorite captain?

I wish I could say I had a lot of photos of the vintage cars, but I had a major shop fire in '96 (arson - long story) and lost nearly all my photos of my early and awesome build from when I had my shop. Plus I lost a ton of cars. But I do have a photo or two I might be able to grab real quick that managed to survive.

cbe2dne0z5rn.jpg

I did this 60 VW Bug in my early teens. Wasn't even finished in the photos. Got the car in SE Iowa and hauled it to NE TX. Replaced nearly every panel on it. Numbers matching car with original 36HP engine. Started a VW obsession and wound up owning a handful of other VWs and a warehouse full of parts before I sold them all to a collector around 1993.

n5ilc6shefxr.jpg

Weird project I tackled a few years ago that I got in Michigan. 84 Dodge Rampage combined with an Shelby Charger to make a Shelby-ized 2.2 turbocharged Rampage.

And I still own my car from high school. 28 years now.

lpaa4p2oo8ft.jpg

As for other cars I did I was mainly into Ford stuff - 49 - 51 Fords, 63 - 64 Galaxies, 60s Lincolns, etc. Also had a 1917 T-Bucket hot rod, 36 Ford, Dodge Duster, Ford Torino GTs, Ford Rancheros, old Ford Trucks, and some oddball things like a Jaguar XJS with a 350/350 Chevy V8 swap. I used to buy/sell/swap cars constantly and at any time I probably had anywhere from 15 - 25 cars on hand before I sold nearly everything off in 2005 - 2006. Even if I tried to compile a list I'm sure I'd forgot a bunch of cars.

As for Trek captains that's a tough one. Every time I rewatch there's things I like and dislike about every one and it's hard to pick just one. But if I had to pick a least favorite overall I'd have to say Janeway and Voyager even though I still appreciate the series overall. Sorry Voyager fans!

Those r some awesome cars. I wish i could say im a car collector but I usually only have 3 at once at most but i been through a lot of them in such a short amount of time. I usually get a new one every year

Love the classic buggy

Here are some of my fun toys. They never stay the way they look rolling out of the showroom floor

fwxk0qmm0afy.jpeg
    vypnxomlnt58.jpeg
    soyj82jpwp20.jpeg
    And i do a lot of the work myself (;

ib7s9krm8qrm.jpeg

Absolutely dig the second one. But they all look clean as hell. Nicely done.
  • EreAura
    EreAura Posts: 18 Member
    theresa120 wrote: »
    Anyone have any favourite movies/shows you’ve been watching on Netflix?

Criminal Minds lately..started maybe 2 months ago or so, on *coughs* season *coughs* 12. :D Binged all of Disenchantment and it was wonderful, but now I'm sad that I have to wait for season 2.
  • Mike9294
    Mike9294 Posts: 87 Member
    I’m a scientist, like to read, watch anime, and play video games. I consider myself a nerd haha. Any other scientists on here?
  • yumesoraki
    *waves hands excitedly* @Mike9294
    I'm a scientist! Postdoc scholar!
  • Mike9294
    @yumesoraki Awesome! What do you research?
  • yumesoraki
    @Mike9294
    Right now we're looking at using VR for people with chronic pain (low back pain and spinal cord injury mostly), and a few other side things for embodiment in the virtual space.
    I recently completed my PhD work which looked at gait dynamics in individuals with chronic post stroke hemiparesis, which some of the data still needs to be published on, but I really just dislike the writing part of the process ^.^;;;
  • Mike9294
    @yumesoraki
    Thats incredible. I would actually be really interested in reading that research. I am in cancer research. Right now we are looking at using a CCK inhibitor to reduce fibrosis in pancreatic tumors. We are about to start putting the paper together. I’m only in my undergrad but I have been in my current lab at Penn State College of Medicine for over a year now. I graduate this semester and then hope to pursue a PhD as well.

Feel free to friend request me if you’d like :)
  • yumesoraki
    @Mike9294
    Wow, working on a paper while in undergrad is impressive! That should definitely help your grad school application. Absolutely will send out a request ^.^
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    @Mike9294 and @yumesoraki I’m not sure you guys fall into the nerd category, I’m thinking maybe the genius category! I’m feeling a little inferior right now 😂 Both of your work sounds awesome and rewarding. I admire you both for helping others!!
  • yumesoraki
    @danielle77speed
    I assure you that my major obsession of Harry Potter (Slytherin and Horned Serpent in particular, #hhmf), and love of anime (food anime lately honestly...though I need to catch back up on my Sailor Moon stuff, and I think I'm caught up on all things Gundam related) places me in that nerdy category. I think that because I like SEC football may toss some points against me though...
  • yogidani77
    edited August 2018
    yumesoraki wrote: »
    @danielle77speed
    I assure you that my major obsession of Harry Potter (Slytherin and Horned Serpent in particular, #hhmf), and love of anime (food anime lately honestly...though I need to catch back up on my Sailor Moon stuff, and I think I'm caught up on all things Gundam related) places me in that nerdy category. I think that because I like SEC football may toss some points against me though...

I was just kidding 😂 About you not being a nerd but NOT about feeling intellectually inferior 😂

Who’s your favorite SEC team?
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    SEC= Roll Tide!!
  • yumesoraki
    @danielle77speed
    Being from Alabama there's 2 options right?. So I'm an Auburn fan, much to the chagrin of my Bama SO, lol.
  • yogidani77
    yumesoraki wrote: »
    @danielle77speed
    Being from Alabama there's 2 options right?. So I'm an Auburn fan, much to the chagrin of my Bama SO, lol.

I knew that, but I didn’t want to offend! I, too, am an Auburn Fan! YAY! We can still be friends LOL
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I have no problem with Auburn. I didn't go to either school, so when Auburn plays, I root for them. When Alabama plays, I root for them. And when they play each other, I just hope for a really good game. We live just down the road from Auburn, and I have a lot of friends that went there.
  • yumesoraki
    @elsie6hickman
    I will root for Bama when it's not against us (unless if it benefits AU, lol).
  • Skelders88
    Skelders88 Posts: 35 Member
    @sdanemrtn Thanks! I've seen bits and pieces during the Olympics, but otherwise don't know that much.
    Let's have some fun!
    Let's!

@yumesoraki Nice! Me too. I've kind of been slacking off with it over the past couple weeks, but I plan on picking back up with it again. I need to get ready for Let's Go Pikachu. Adding more friends will help get me going again too.

If that was you that added me earlier today, was that a shiny eevee?! I wasn't lucky enough to get one during the last community event, but it's cool that you got one!