Why am I like this? Please help

Options
I have been working out in the mornings for 2 weeks straight, yay!

The problem lies in the fact I will eat healthy and 2000 calories or less for a couple days then it all goes to *kitten*. It’s really annoying and I need tips on how to counteract this please

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I have been working out in the mornings for 2 weeks straight, yay!

The problem lies in the fact I will eat healthy and 2000 calories or less for a couple days then it all goes to *kitten*. It’s really annoying and I need tips on how to counteract this please

While your foods may be healthy, perhaps they are not satisfying to you? Some people find protein more satiating, some high volume carbs, some fat. Maybe pay attention after a meal and see which resonate with you?

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You're probably trying to be too restrictive. Making more gradual changes so that you have time to process and accept them, rather than spazzing yourself out by trying to change everything at once, will probably help.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I find that meal-prepping really helps me stay on track. I prepare large batches of food, calorie count them, and portion them out into servings kept in the fridge and freezer. My husband and I always have a quick lunch or dinner to grab, no temptation to pick up fast food or junk. The money savings are awesome too.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, but for me it starts with the weekend. I can exercise all week. Eat at a deficit with no problem, drink lots of water, and get plenty of rest...until Friday. Then a couple drinks turn into more than I'd care to say and food choices become anything with lots of carbs and cheese. So needless to say the 1lb I may have lost by Monday morning has resulted in a 3lb water weight gain which will stick around until about Friday when the whole thing starts again. I annoy myself.
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I am going thru the responses right now. Thank you for all the help
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi All,

In the future please remember to keep the help threads focused on the question presented by the OP of the thread. If you disagree with advice presented, and con't come to an agreement feel free to take the debate over to the debate board. See how that works!

If you wish to continue the discussion on exercising for weight loss it can be found here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10691910/exercising-for-weight-loss

Thanks for your cooperation,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OP have you thought about journalling or bullet journalling (Google will give you loads of examples)? Not only would this maybe distract you from the over eating but there are a myriad of trackers you could do to may identify what your triggers are? Also if you use a habit / fitness tracker you can visually see the good stuff that you are doing and maybe focus a bit less on the negative?

Just a thought x
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Instead of tackling everything at once break this down into manageable tasks & goals.

1. Log accurately
    2. Keep a journal throughout the day (I use the MFP note section)
    3. Document when you get appetite triggers and ask what brought these on and find a way to control this
    4. Develop a routine that works for you - make order out of chaos

Long term success comes from managing habits - exchanging "bad" habits that don't promote health with "good" habits that promote health.

We are creatures of habit, so make this work in your favor. Write down 5 "bad" habits and prioritize these 1-5. Cross off 2-5 and focus on number 1. You cannot simply stop this habit, but you can replace it with another activity. Do this for days/weeks/months until this becomes ingrained behavior. Then repeat this exercise.