Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

exercising for weight loss

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Why am I like this? Please help.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    The best advice I can give you is... first of all... don't listen to people who tell you not to worry about healthy.

There are only 3 main things you should have to do to get to a healthy body weight.

1. get the recommended amount of exercise (at least 300 minutes per week)
    2. eat a wide variety of healthy foods
    3. limit junk food to the occasional treat to reward yourself for doing 1 and 2

When you exercise, you increase your fitness level. As your fitness level increases you will get closer to a healthy body weigh over time (as long as you do not do too much of 3)

And that is it.

Dear o dear awful advice.

Sarcasm I hope?

Well no, because the questions then become, "are a variety of healthy foods", "what is junk food", and "how much of this should any given individual eat". To get to a healthy body weight you either need to eat fewer calories than you expend or more calories (depending on if you're wanting to lose or gain weight); CICO.

I personally would argue that the lamb curry that I made last night is what a lot of people would traditionally think of as "healthy". Ground lamb, cherry tomatoes, a tbsp of oil, peas, and various spices. If I ate enough of that, to get me over my calorie goal for the day (not super hard given the rest of what I ate that day), and ate similar foods that got me over the calorie goal, I would gain weight despite the fact that my goal is to lose weight.

On top of that, in terms of the 300 minutes of exercise a week, the recommended amount by the World Health Organization is 150 minutes moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week (or a combination of the two). They say further benefits can be had if you get to 300 minutes, but 150 minutes the recommended amount per week.

Well, true, what us "healthy". That is completely subjective. Point conceded. # edit..... opinion time.... lol..... if we look at the members of the NWCR, yes I know, 12000 out of millions right? They tend to exercise an hour a day. That would be over 300 mins. I, ok it's subjective time here, that 150 mins or 75 mins, is just wrong. In 1950, sure, most people were more active in daily life, cooked at home, ect.... now? Well.... just look at modern countries, we have machines that do most things for us.... Just some personal observations. N=1, big time there. Lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will call on pav888 and people here maintaining weight loss. Why do we exercise. Well, it feels good, i mean being active can release endorphins. We like to stay fit. Another big factor, at least for some of us, it allows us to eat a little more. I know maintain at current activity about 3100-3300 cals. If I were sed, about 2200-400 cals. Someone trying to get a 500 cal def can either eat 500 cals less a day , or maybe eat 250 less and burn 250 in physical activity. As far as cico, yes, it's all energy in and out, I have seen guys at the gym get just nasty shred eating strait garbage<
    subjective, sorry, but They are the first that I see going on binges after a cut. I have seen them plow on 15-20 lbs, not bulking that is, in a month. The guys that maintain their physical form, tend to take it as a whole. They are the ones who are rigidly flexible. They will eat mc d's, but they limit it. They take it as a lifestyle. No, anvil, you can't out exercise a horrid diet. I don't think anyone is advocating exercise bulimia here. Op needs to fuel her work outs, but that will allow her the flex to have flexibility in her life. Are we shooting for just weigjt loss, or a course correction in life. On that note. I'm out.