Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

exercising for weight loss

2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Well I agree those are pretty good tips for maintaining a general healthy lifestyle. She could make sure to get plenty of exercise, make healthier food choices and limit "junk" and she very well could lose weight. I'm sure those three changes would result in some weight loss for a lot of people. But she might not, depending on how much she's eating, and what her starting point was. I think that's the point everyone is making.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I bolded the part of your post which may be helpful. Which is nothing.

Do you think a calorie deficit is caused from just counting calories?

No... It's not.

You can either eat less than you burn, or burn more than you eat, and you "must" do both to be successful long term.

Are you saying that total health is just weight?

please explain why people should be at a healthy weight, but not be at a healthy fitness level.

The OP is exercising so your participation in this thread seems to revolve around being a contrarian. People are trying to assist her with why she is bingeing... will exercise help with that too? I am glad to see that you recognize that eating less than you burn is a course of action. Growth in views is important at any age.

I don't really feel the need to answer your questions because I haven't said whatever it is that you are imagining that I am saying.

The OP has only been exercising for 2 weeks.

And yes. Exercise will help with binge eating. The more a person exercises the less time they have to sit around thinking about eating.

And for some people, the more they exercise, the hungrier they get - and the more difficult it is to maintain a calorie deficit.

It takes me close to an hour to burn 500 calories running. I can easily wipe out 500 calories in five minutes of eating.

Exercise is a good thing for a lot of reasons, but it's not a panacea for weight loss. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

You can eat 500 calories in 5 minutes?

That sounds like gluttony.

And you can't out-diet an unfit body.

I'm coming into this conversation after the split, so I'm missing some of the back story...

But hell yes you can eat 500 cals in 5 minutes. It's not even that hard. Heck, I can do it from "healthy" foods, too.

I don't disagree with some of what you've said in this post, but the blanket nature of the way you're saying it (or how it's reading to me) makes it open for criticism.

1 cup of trail mix generally has around 600-700 calories. I've seen my (non-gluttonous) brother eat that much in 5 minutes. It's not at all hard to eat 500 calories in 5 minutes when you're talking about calorie-dense foods.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I bolded the part of your post which may be helpful. Which is nothing.

Do you think a calorie deficit is caused from just counting calories?

No... It's not.

You can either eat less than you burn, or burn more than you eat, and you "must" do both to be successful long term.

Are you saying that total health is just weight?

please explain why people should be at a healthy weight, but not be at a healthy fitness level.

The OP is exercising so your participation in this thread seems to revolve around being a contrarian. People are trying to assist her with why she is bingeing... will exercise help with that too? I am glad to see that you recognize that eating less than you burn is a course of action. Growth in views is important at any age.

I don't really feel the need to answer your questions because I haven't said whatever it is that you are imagining that I am saying.

The OP has only been exercising for 2 weeks.

And yes. Exercise will help with binge eating. The more a person exercises the less time they have to sit around thinking about eating.

And for some people, the more they exercise, the hungrier they get - and the more difficult it is to maintain a calorie deficit.

It takes me close to an hour to burn 500 calories running. I can easily wipe out 500 calories in five minutes of eating.

Exercise is a good thing for a lot of reasons, but it's not a panacea for weight loss. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

You can eat 500 calories in 5 minutes?

That sounds like gluttony.

And you can't out-diet an unfit body.

A piece of pecan pie is over 500 calories - takes about 5 minutes to eat, or less. I can eat a 600 calorie burger in about 5-10 minutes. Not gluttony, but reality for a lot of people.