Is keto more suited to high speed weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    Anytime you start to watch what you eat, you will first lose water weight.

But I am struck by how many people think keto is a weight loss plan. It's not, and should not be approached that way. It's a way of detoxing your body and letting it normalize to what it should be. It's eating as cleanly as possible. Weight loss is just a byproduct. A huge benefit, I agree, but nothing more than a byproduct.

So, IMHO, this WOE is for me the best I have ever tried. Once you detox from a carb/sugar heavy diet, food will taste better than it ever tasted because your taste buds are no longer being bombarded by too much sugar.

I have been religiously tracking what I eat. When I first started, I was consuming more than 150g of carbs and 100g of sugar! Now it's ~30g of carbs and ~9g of sugar. A huge difference that, among other things, have allowed me to lose more than 50lbs. In just four months! This WOE, by the way, is naturally low in sugar.

I highly recommend watching "The Magic Pill" on Netflix. A real eye opener.

I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be.

Magic pill is what got my interest. I thought keto was a fad diet that because of high fat was bad long term. After much research I decided that it was a lifestyle I wanted to try. I never eat sugar but did cut bread and potatoes out which was easy. Then you start looking into hidden carbs and sugars, they are everywhere. I never thought of it as detox but after going keto I get more energy and feel more focused at work. But that can't be possible because keto is only about CICO and nothing to do with anything else. :D

That is being a bit obtuse. Keto has its benefits but CICO is weight management. Its great you feel energy on keto... Its probably how i feel on my diet.. and the same thing promoted on all diets. Largely, its placebo from starting something new that you believe will work.

ETA: you have been on the diet for about 6 weeks... let's see how things go in a few years. I lost my weight and kept it off for 6 years with high carb. Now that I am working to get leaner, I cycle keto and ultra high carb.

I sure didn't get any placebo effect on pure calorie restriction but I did lose 50 pounds. I then stared putting 30 back on. I do need to give it time and am looking forward to getting blood work done so I see that part of the picture. I am not in any hurry so only time will tell at this point. The weight loss is a benefit but I am more interested in managing blood pressure, cholesterol and inflammation.

Same. Well, I lost 43 lbs before I started eating low carb - there was a quick and noticeable difference in the way I felt too - like flipping a switch. 5 or 6 years later that placebo effect is still going strong for me. lol I hope the effect persists in the same way for you too. :)

I'm another who has experienced the energy benefits, and feelings of well being, for a few years. If it is a placebo effect, it's a strong and long lasting one. :);)

You have IR .. it certainly should have a profound impact on how you feel.

Probably. Since so many have IR, especially in the overweight, it could be helpful to others.

It also helped my autoimmune diseases and arthritis - probably not IR related.

Yea. I have been reading on some of the science with arthritis for a client. Depending on the type, i have seen a lot of recommendations to also cut meats. But that was more directed at RA

I think it varies person to person. I know of some who limit plants, or avoid them entirely, because it helps with their RA.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Ah ok so very strict carb intake (20-50 grams) same as Atkins "New Diet Revolution". So it sounds as though it hasn't changed a lot. Obviously you're not having any issues with cutting processed carbs, bread, pastas and the like. Your sticks are always purple. Keto+calorie count is a fat destroying power house! Not to mention the research into how ketosis may help cancer patients. Unfortunately for me I seemed to only focus on what I couldn't have and after a year i acquiesced. Thank you so much for sharing your plan publicly. Wow! 135 pounds! Astounding weight-loss you must feel amazing! Great numbers as well. Good on you! I admire your resolve. Very best of luck on your journey.

Phase 1 of the new Atkins is very keto. Probably around 20-30 g of carbs. Phase 2 is a bit higher but could still be considered keto for some people, mainly the healthy and active. It seems to be around 50g or so.

It really is easier to explain it to people when you describe keto as Atkins style. ;) although keto' popularity has grown so much over the past few years that I find that most people know of the term now.

• whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I was on keto for a month, and it was making me sooooooo tired. I slept and slept and slept. I finally started reading Joe Friel's 'Your First Triathlon'. It said that during training and the race itself, that carbs are required, as well as fats to make the machine that is your body, to work the way it's supposed to. Keto never worked for me, and will say that it is a fad, nothing more.
  • ladyethorne1
    ladyethorne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I noticed no difference between keto and a standard caloric reduction type diet in terms of energy and weight loss. For me though, eating the high fat diet does make me hungry less often. I often find it hard to get enough calories for the day because I'm just not in need of that snack, or what I'm craving doesn't give me enough to take me close to the line. I can't speak for anyone else's journey, but I love my keto diet, and it hasn't been as hard as I thought to stick to it.