Clean Eating: no processed/refined foods, no high sugar/fat foods, or no foods with dirt on them?

Evelyn_Gorfram
Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm confused about clean eating: I'd thought it meant eliminating processed and refined food from one's diet, but I see people saying things like "I'm eating clean: no cake or cookies or other sweet treats."

Sure, lots of readily available dessert foods incorporate highly processed/refined ingredients; but I can make you a sugar-dense fat bomb of a whole wheat carrot cake with a honey-cream cheese frosting using only ingredients requiring no technology more complex than a hand mill and an apiary. And you can barely swing a cat in a modern grocery store without hitting some sort of sugar-free, fat-free, putatively edible marvel of modern chemistry.

I'm being a little facetious here, but I'm also confused: which one is it? Is it both? Or does the definition vary according to the person using the term?

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Varies according to who's using it but I've never been wrong assuming they're trying to limit or avoid ultra processed foods. It's as useful as plant based, healthy and moderation as far as diet descriptors go - it provides a pretty good idea of where they're coming from but you still don't know what/how much they actually eat.