Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any organizational tips directly related to fat loss and fitness?

Right now, these have helped, and I'm looking to step my game up in this area even more to make the weight loss/fitness area of my life less time consuming and more effective:

1. Making habitual meals, meal prep and pre logging
    2. Making a habit of going to the gym - I don't go because I want to, I go because that's what I do
    3. Keeping stuff like hair ties, gum, lotion and other small items you might need at the gym in my bag

Please let me know even if it is something really small that makes things go that little bit smoother.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427 and @elsie6hickman thank you for your warm thoughts. He was with us for 12 years, there are reminders everywhere. He was loved.

I choose to take the"woo" as support, many people don't know Its not a good thing. I didn't for the first 6 months on MFP. Thank you for your support. :)

{{{{{{{{ <3 SNOO <3 }}}}}}}}} Thanks for posting this--a LOT of people don't know/realize this.

Also Snoo, just to let you know I'm mainly talking to myself/thinking outloud and letting you listen, if you will.

[/center]

I posted this because when I found out that woo meant disagree/dislike I felt bad for having used it. Just letting people know what it is.

I'm happy to listen to your thoughts, you make some interesting connections.

One of the groups I am on uses the Woo as Woohoo. I read an old post on one thread that when the button was first put on MFP that's what it was meant to be, but then they changed it to Woo as in "that theory is woo, not scientifically sound, etc. I never use it now unless it's on the one group that it means woohoo! Way to go!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any organizational tips directly related to fat loss and fitness?

Right now, these have helped, and I'm looking to step my game up in this area even more to make the weight loss/fitness area of my life less time consuming and more effective:

2. Making a habit of going to the gym - I don't go because I want to, I go because that's what I do
    3. Keeping stuff like hair ties, gum, lotion and other small items you might need at the gym in my bag

Please let me know even if it is something really small that makes things go that little bit smoother.

I used to carry as many grocery bags as I could, into the house. Now I make more trips. Doesn't add a lot of time, but adds steps.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your tremendous contributions to this thread. I read your other really helpful post and was going to reply to that one, but will reply to this one. Here's some "tips" that have changed my life and body/shape for sure:
    Orphia wrote: »
    Since April 2015 when I started at MFP, I've lost 80 lbs and kept it off for 20 months. In that time, I've thrown out loads of old crap.

While I was losing weight, I had the pleasure of "shopping" in my wardrobe for skinnier clothes that fit me again.

I now fit all my favourite skinny clothes, and I've thrown out all my fat clothes. So many bags of clothes donated to the op shop!

I've also done a lot of spring-cleaning and de-cluttered the whole house, because I've become very active, and much less lazy.

NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis calorie-burning for the win!)

I've thrown out loads of books, and worn-out linen, and kitchen crap. The house feels so much nicer to live in.

I think my decluttering inspired my husband, as he's done a lot himself with his things since I started.

I love this thread, it's a refreshing topic!

THANK YOU ever so much for posting this. It made me smile inside and out and is so very helpful, insightful and super encouraging! I really LOVE what you've said about "NEAT" ( NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis calorie-burning for the win!) I've never heard of this before and again, I LOVE it!!! Also...just the way you've phrased everything is so powerful and joy inspiring. How I have to "blush" about "thrown out loads of books, and worn-out linen, and kitchen crap"...wow--likewise!

Lastly, my decluttering AND weight-loss quest and new mind-set as done something absolutely tremendous to my hubby and my relationship. We are soooo much closer now. We've always been very tight and deeply in love with one another, but we are just on a whole nother wave-length now and our entire way of communicating with each other is ultra FUN now and more COOL than ever. Relating to him now, our communication, respect, admiration and frankly love for each other and just our entire lives are blooming in ways that I can't fully explain here and I just love that!

Thank you again and again for contributing this most excellent reply--you so ROCK, period. <3o:)<3

Orphia posted this sometime ago, and I was especially blessed by her introducing me to the idea/most excellent way of exercising for me (burning cals, being more active (my daily exercise) in a more natural (for me), while/as I declutter my life of excess and messy "stuff" and at the exact same time, getting "stuff" done (where I can see immediate results (cleaner, prettier, more organized and sanity boosting surroundings, I love that.) So what Orphia taught me what I was actually doing is called:
    NEAT (I LOVE that), it stands for: (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). This NEAT business is so helping me burn fat and "get down to size",so to speak, much so much more--helping me to move this body of mine in ways that are not only helping me declutter and maintain my deculttering (daily), but helping me LET GO of a LOT of pounds and ounces in ways that are so helpful to me. I've been reading a thread on NEAT that is the bombdotcom on ideas and suggestions on how to get more NEAT in as we are decluttering the mess out of our lives.

I wanted to put that thread link on here, so in case you haven't seen it--get ready to be supper blessed and get some doable and tremendous ideas on burning more cals and getting slimmer and trimmer in every area of our lives, as we pursue the fabulous & fun "business" of being all about "NEAT"...literally and figuratively=BOOM! Here's the thread...check it out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss#latest

P.S. one of my NEAT activities(besides daily household chores) is walking to the store(instead of driving), carrying the groceries back. It's about a 2 or 3 or so mile back and forth and makes me feel like a champion too--walking to the store is so old school--I love it, it's "NEAT".
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    Children’s clothing has been a burden on me since my first was a year old. I have never been able to get a hold on how much we need, or say no to generous clothing donors. We save handmedowns for the next kid and we make dirty farmy messes too so I always think we need play clothes. I have had mental breakdowns ever the amount of clothes and laundry we’ve had for 10 years. No more!!!! Today and this weekend my children and I declutterec 8 CONTRACTOR bags of kids clothes! Now they are left w just 2 dresser drawers. I’ve seen the light!

BOOM!!!! How utterly fabulous of you and your children--super WTG and thanks so much for your encouraging contribution to this thread! o:)B)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I have been decluttering. First I attacked the pantry. Outdated food, stuff that we will never eat, stuff that just isn't healthy when out.
    Then I attacked the refrigerator - threw out all that stuff hiding in the back, got rid of all those one use condiments, and other things that were cluttering up my refrigerator.
    I attacked the freezer - stuff that had been in there way too long, stuff that we would not eat and no longer fits with our lifestyle change. You would not believe how much food I threw out, and how much space I reclaimed. Do you know how much money I threw away???
    And my wardrobe. Like most women I have been hanging onto clothes waiting for a miracle. There are also clothes that I bought and didn't like or wear after I got them. Gathered them all up for good will - then my cleaning lady asked me if I would mind if she took them - and the friends she gave them to are both grateful and happy to have some new clothes to wear (because I have enough that they are barely worn).
    Shoes that I don't wear that are still in very good condition. Make peace with the fact that I can no longer wear 3 1/2 inch heels. Purses that I've had that are too good to throw out, but good enough to collect dust in my closet - gone. Scarves too. Costume jewelry that I forgot about or was just clogging up my jewelry box and keeping me from finding what I wanted. Cosmetics, hair supplies, etc. All those samples that I will never use. Gone!

Magazines and books that I was keeping for who knows why? Cookbooks? Two shelves worth, beccause anything I need is on the internet.

Next I will start on collectibles. And tubs of cooking things that are over in our loft and I never use. And craft supplies and art supplies.

It makes me feel so good to rid myself of these things and since a lot of things are going to other people to enjoy, that makes me happy.

I have stopped buying. I have no one to leave it to and the few young people I know won't want it either.

This entire post, from beginning to end (and especially the end) is so so soooooooo wonderful. I just LOVE it and am so GRATEFUL for your contribution to this thread. You ROCK, period.

P.S. BOOOOOOOM!!!!! <3o:)<3
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Hey! Thanks for posting this. A few I have are somewhat known but still good:

1. I get off the elevator 2 floors before mine at work and walk the other 2 floors up.
    2. I take at least one walk during the day while at work and can often fit in two. The place isn't going to implode if I'm out of touch for 15 minutes.
    3. I often lay out my gym clothes the night before so I don't have to think about it. I also determine what exercise I'm going to do the night before.

If I think of others I'll post.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    peggym4640 wrote: »

Hey! Thanks for posting this. A few I have are somewhat known but still good:

1. I get off the elevator 2 floors before mine at work and walk the other 2 floors up.
    2. I take at least one walk during the day while at work and can often fit in two. The place isn't going to implode if I'm out of touch for 15 minutes.
    3. I often lay out my gym clothes the night before so I don't have to think about it. I also determine what exercise I'm going to do the night before.

If I think of others I'll post.

WOW! I like that...I've got off the elevator 1 floor before mine, but never thought about 2 floors--EXCELLENT post--thank you so much!
  • snoo61
    Options
    Spent a couple of years trying different things.

It's important to know that somethings will work, some things won't. Some things you just need tweaks, some things you need better systems for them to work. Often people who go on declutter kicks think it's a one and done. But you have to put a working system in place so that it essentially stays the way you put it.

Things that get the most use are going to get messed up faster, so you need good systems to go with it. Having a shoe organizer by the door is a great idea, but if you haven't trained your family to put their shoes in it, it's pretty useless.

That being said, over the years, some things have really worked well. To not make this too long, here are two "game changers:"

1) Having labeled bins in the cupboards, fridge and freezer. This sounds really type A, BUT, this makes putting groceries away SO SO quick, everyone knows where everything is, and it's easy to see what is needed when it's grocery time. Add a spot for things you make often - like a sandwich bin (for meats and cheeses, condiments) - coffee/tea bar, etc., and making your stuff is as easy as pulling out a single bin. You can do a quick declutter and wipe every time you put away groceries to keep this system up. Plus, put things where it makes sense. Spices by the stove, coffee bar near the coffee pot, etc.

2) People think I spend a ton of time getting ready. NOT! It takes me very, very little time, and is so easy because of a system I put in place. Recently I forgot I had an appointment scheduled for an hour from when I remembered. But I had to go to another town to be ready for that appointment. Because my outfit was together, I took a quick shower, got dressed, drove to one town, then to the next and was 15 minutes EARLY to my appointment. I later was complimented by 3 people on my outfit I took literally no time to choose that day.

How?

I purchased my clothes with purpose. Instead of going out and buying something because it's "cute," or on sale, I buy with a list, like I would groceries. So many times we have cute tops or bottoms that don't go with anything, or have an unflattering fit, and they just sit in your closet and make it frustrating to figure out what you will wear. So, clear your clothes of things that don't fit or you don't like, then get a base wardrobe of basics - jeans, pants, t-shirts, blouses, skirts, tennis shoes, heels in the basic colors (black, navy, white). Other basic colors, depending on your style, would be beige, blush pink, army green, camel, etc. Whatever you get after that, that's "just so cute," provided it is following the style of clothes you wear, it will pair well with one of the basic items you have in your closet.

Then make outfits - have one or two major, hours long trying on the clothes you have in your closet. Since I don't trust myself to do the "choose your clothes the night before," I choose many outfits, and that is how they hang in my closet. Either put them together on hangers in your closet, or/ and in addition to, when you wear the outfit, take a selfie. The selfies serve as a reminder to you what outfits, shoes and accessories you wore, and what looks good on you. You won't have to stand in front of the closet trying to figure things out or try things on. Either you just grab a complete outfit from the hanger, or look at your phone to see what you feel like wearing that day.

If nothing else, get some flattering dresses. Then you just put one on and look put together. It's the easiest outfit hack ever.

First, it takes a lot of effort up front. Going shopping and buying what fits, is cute, or on sale, is a lot easier to do than going shopping for "the black jeans that really flatter me," or a "white short sleeved blouse that falls over the hip."

But imagine what it would be like to have a month of wearing clothes you look fabulous in, and not spending any time figuring out outfits, no piles of clothes on the floor from trying things on, no getting late because you couldn't figure out what to wear, no feeling like you are wearing clothes that are unflattering. NO STRESS OVER YOUR CLOTHES.

I got a bunch of these tips off of youtube, from a professional stylist (whose style I don't like, but her ideas about clothes are fantastic): https://www.youtube.com/user/StylistLaurenMessiah

And a vlogger, whose style I do like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVOik-O0o0

I heard something today. "Small steps are ok as long as you're heading in the right direction." Seems to be what you were trying to explain here. :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Spent a couple of years trying different things.

It's important to know that somethings will work, some things won't. Some things you just need tweaks, some things you need better systems for them to work. Often people who go on declutter kicks think it's a one and done. But you have to put a working system in place so that it essentially stays the way you put it.

Things that get the most use are going to get messed up faster, so you need good systems to go with it. Having a shoe organizer by the door is a great idea, but if you haven't trained your family to put their shoes in it, it's pretty useless.

That being said, over the years, some things have really worked well. To not make this too long, here are two "game changers:"

1) Having labeled bins in the cupboards, fridge and freezer. This sounds really type A, BUT, this makes putting groceries away SO SO quick, everyone knows where everything is, and it's easy to see what is needed when it's grocery time. Add a spot for things you make often - like a sandwich bin (for meats and cheeses, condiments) - coffee/tea bar, etc., and making your stuff is as easy as pulling out a single bin. You can do a quick declutter and wipe every time you put away groceries to keep this system up. Plus, put things where it makes sense. Spices by the stove, coffee bar near the coffee pot, etc.

2) People think I spend a ton of time getting ready. NOT! It takes me very, very little time, and is so easy because of a system I put in place. Recently I forgot I had an appointment scheduled for an hour from when I remembered. But I had to go to another town to be ready for that appointment. Because my outfit was together, I took a quick shower, got dressed, drove to one town, then to the next and was 15 minutes EARLY to my appointment. I later was complimented by 3 people on my outfit I took literally no time to choose that day.

How?

I purchased my clothes with purpose. Instead of going out and buying something because it's "cute," or on sale, I buy with a list, like I would groceries. So many times we have cute tops or bottoms that don't go with anything, or have an unflattering fit, and they just sit in your closet and make it frustrating to figure out what you will wear. So, clear your clothes of things that don't fit or you don't like, then get a base wardrobe of basics - jeans, pants, t-shirts, blouses, skirts, tennis shoes, heels in the basic colors (black, navy, white). Other basic colors, depending on your style, would be beige, blush pink, army green, camel, etc. Whatever you get after that, that's "just so cute," provided it is following the style of clothes you wear, it will pair well with one of the basic items you have in your closet.

Then make outfits - have one or two major, hours long trying on the clothes you have in your closet. Since I don't trust myself to do the "choose your clothes the night before," I choose many outfits, and that is how they hang in my closet. Either put them together on hangers in your closet, or/ and in addition to, when you wear the outfit, take a selfie. The selfies serve as a reminder to you what outfits, shoes and accessories you wore, and what looks good on you. You won't have to stand in front of the closet trying to figure things out or try things on. Either you just grab a complete outfit from the hanger, or look at your phone to see what you feel like wearing that day.

If nothing else, get some flattering dresses. Then you just put one on and look put together. It's the easiest outfit hack ever.

First, it takes a lot of effort up front. Going shopping and buying what fits, is cute, or on sale, is a lot easier to do than going shopping for "the black jeans that really flatter me," or a "white short sleeved blouse that falls over the hip."

But imagine what it would be like to have a month of wearing clothes you look fabulous in, and not spending any time figuring out outfits, no piles of clothes on the floor from trying things on, no getting late because you couldn't figure out what to wear, no feeling like you are wearing clothes that are unflattering. NO STRESS OVER YOUR CLOTHES.

I got a bunch of these tips off of youtube, from a professional stylist (whose style I don't like, but her ideas about clothes are fantastic): https://www.youtube.com/user/StylistLaurenMessiah

And a vlogger, whose style I do like:

I heard something today. "Small steps are ok as long as you're heading in the right direction." Seems to be what you were trying to explain here. :)

BOOM! That's the ticket, fore SURE!

When we moved two years ago, I had boxes of mementos that I didn't know what to do with, along with some old yearbooks, and general stuff. These boxes have been sitting under my craft room desk and I finally decided I need to do something with them. I started on one box last night. This is all cards and such that my husband and I have been given over the years. Why can't I just get rid of them? I did get rid of some from people we don't really talk to anymore.

Kudos Snow and {{{{ Hugs and The Highest of Fives }}}}}}}}}} to you--get it girl!
  • snoo61
    Options
    When we moved two years ago, I had boxes of mementos that I didn't know what to do with, along with some old yearbooks, and general stuff. These boxes have been sitting under my craft room desk and I finally decided I need to do something with them. I started on one box last night. This is all cards and such that my husband and I have been given over the years. Why can't I just get rid of them? I did get rid of some from people we don't really talk to anymore.
    gx19xdn72hd2.jpg

When going through my old cards I sorted them by who they were from. Then went through each pile and kept 1 or 2. Got rid of almost all of them that way. After awhile I could get rid of the rest.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @IHaveMyActTogether After viewing the video, I bought a black turtleneck sweater. I usually wear V neck or round neck shirts but will try something new.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 and @elsie6hickman thank you for your warm thoughts. He was with us for 12 years, there are reminders everywhere. He was loved.

I choose to take the"woo" as support, many people don't know Its not a good thing. I didn't for the first 6 months on MFP. Thank you for your support. :)

Upon the Rare occasions, i see a “woo”, I always figure that person thinks it’s a good thing. So, I dont take it personally.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I ceased purchasing & even threw away all of my decorations, approximately a decade ago! However I eventually bought low height storage furniture, that isn't efficient because it takes a lot of floor space & since there's nothing but paint upon my walls, wall space's unnecessary! Thereby I'll be replacing it, with high height cabinetry instead!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!