Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Supply & Human Future

Options
ironhajee
ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
Hey MFP,

Let's also discuss this topic casually,

Given our rapid reproductive growth as a society and it's projection to hit over 10 billion population in "x" ammount of time, and the rate of deforestation and the slaughter of animals and the vicious cycle that society is handcuffed too, does food run out at some point?

It's a finite world we live in.

It's like that movie Infinity Wars where Thanos has to kill 50% of the universe so that the rest can continue to live.

Or like INTERSTELLAR where food sources stop growing completely and all that's left was corn

Although unrealistic .... food security may not be a concern for our generations but certainly in the years to come given our patterns of consumption will become an inevitability. Does the younger generations then realize the mistakes of our forefathers and transition gradually into more plant based nutrition sources and divert more towards reinforcing our agricultural industries (we are already seeing a growing movement towards vegan and vegetarian diets based primarily for morality but also couple with health benefits)

I myself eat both (plant and animal) but the question does make you think about it.

What are your thoughts about food scarcity

Replies

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Insects are the answer.

Hmm..
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A lot of previous discussion on the same topic here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10667802/how-long-can-society-sustain-its-growing-population/p1

Animals are a renewable food source. They reproduce. They also provide renewable food sources on their own, such as chickens/eggs.

I don't see any moral superiority or documented health improvements from a vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what somebody chooses, but "morality" in this sense is a subjective individual decision. Any diet is as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as somebody chooses to make it.

ironhajee wrote: »
    ...It's like that movie Infinity Wars where Thanos has to kill 50% of the universe so that the rest can continue to live...
    I'm not sure genocide would be a morally or logistically feasible strategy. Seems a bit extreme. Definitely not healthy for at least 50% of the population, either.

Still better than Chipotle.

I just saw a thread about Chipotle! Someone said it's like poison.

* Eats burrito while typing*

In the future, it will be delivered to you by a drone: https://www.abc10.com/article/tech/mind-blown-drones-to-deliver-chipotle-burritos/315749266
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    A lot of previous discussion on the same topic here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10667802/how-long-can-society-sustain-its-growing-population/p1

Animals are a renewable food source. They reproduce. They also provide renewable food sources on their own, such as chickens/eggs.

I don't see any moral superiority or documented health improvements from a vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what somebody chooses, but "morality" in this sense is a subjective individual decision. Any diet is as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as somebody chooses to make it.

...It's like that movie Infinity Wars where Thanos has to kill 50% of the universe so that the rest can continue to live...
    I'm not sure genocide would be a morally or logistically feasible strategy. Seems a bit extreme. Definitely not healthy for at least 50% of the population, either.

There was also a thread by @bpetrosky on some of the newer farming technologies that was interesting. I couldn't seem to find it yesterday.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I image maybe a few hundred years from now we'll be sitting down to a plate of little white cubes, one will be roast chicken flavoured, another peas, another potato.. all synthetic.. yummy :D
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Still better than Chipotle.

I just saw a thread about Chipotle! Someone said it's like poison.

* Eats burrito while typing*

In the future, it will be delivered to you by a drone: https://www.abc10.com/article/tech/mind-blown-drones-to-deliver-chipotle-burritos/315749266

That would be awesome!
    I'm just wondering if it'll really stay hot though?
    I'll be eagerly awaiting the burritos from the sky!
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It's estimated that we will reach 9.7+ billion people by 2050. Most world authorities believe 10 billion is the tipping point to earths capacity. Even in the case of maximum efficiency, in which all the grains grown are dedicated to feeding humans (instead of livestock, which is an inefficient way to convert plant energy into food energy), there's still a limit to how far the available quantities can stretch. "If everyone agreed to become vegetarian, leaving little or nothing for livestock, the present 1.4 billion hectares of arable land (3.5 billion acres) would support about 10 billion people," (The 3.5 billion acres would produce approximately 2 billion tons of grains annually, he explained. That's enough to feed 10 billion vegetarians, but would only feed 2.5 billion U.S. omnivores, because so much vegetation is dedicated to livestock and poultry in the United States. (Harvard University sociobiologist Edward O. Wilson).
  • yukfoo
    Options
    I don't have to be faster than them...just faster than you...lol
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    I don't have to be faster than them...just faster than you...lol

:laugh: .. true!!
  • yukfoo
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Nahhh...all this will take care of itself. A massive solar flare, billions would starve. Anarchy. An extinction level asteroid? Hey isn't it about time for another Spanish flu outbreak? 70-90% of the world won't be able to outrun that. Doesn't matter. I have a luxury bunker complete with interdimentional portal and I'm takin' you with me...
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I image maybe a few hundred years from now we'll be sitting down to a plate of little white cubes, one will be roast chicken flavoured, another peas, another potato.. all synthetic.. yummy :D

Nah Jo, it will be more like Transformers as human-cyborgs will require large glowing cubes of energy for sustanence