Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Supply & Human Future

Options

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Hey MFP,

Let's also discuss this topic casually,

Given our rapid reproductive growth as a society and it's projection to hit over 10 billion population in "x" ammount of time, and the rate of deforestation and the slaughter of animals and the vicious cycle that society is handcuffed too, does food run out at some point?

It's a finite world we live in.

It's like that movie Infinity Wars where Thanos has to kill 50% of the universe so that the rest can continue to live.

Or like INTERSTELLAR where food sources stop growing completely and all that's left was corn

Although unrealistic .... food security may not be a concern for our generations but certainly in the years to come given our patterns of consumption will become an inevitability. Does the younger generations then realize the mistakes of our forefathers and transition gradually into more plant based nutrition sources and divert more towards reinforcing our agricultural industries (we are already seeing a growing movement towards vegan and vegetarian diets based primarily for morality but also couple with health benefits)

I myself eat both (plant and animal) but the question does make you think about it.

What are your thoughts about food scarcity

*shrug

we'll figure it out.... especially if there's money to be made in the solution.

/Thread.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a good old Sean Spicer press conference
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Insects are the answer.

I don't know if they are the answer but they will definitely be a part of our diet. They already are in some countries. Water is the resource we ought to be concerned about. This resource is priceless and vital to our food supplies.

If we run outta water.... I'm not worried; I'll just drink Lemonade.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

People can use their eyes - the articles say exactly what I'm saying. But people want to believe what they want, I guess. This is what the "debate" sounded like on my end:

That's not a fact, you have no sources!

Here are some sources.

Those are from RICH countries!

Here's some sources about the poorer countries.

I don't like your sources!

Here are some other sources.

You conflated the numbers!

I quoted numbers that were stated from these sources.

I don't like those sources either, because politics!

Here's the story from a source from the opposite political spectrum.

I don't like those sources either!

Here are some other sources, straight from the people who study this for world leaders.

Your word choice is off!

I just quoted the words used by the sources.

Woo.

Which I take to mean, they know they've lost the argument and are expressing their displeasure at it. Because you can't say it's false when so many leading health organizations and news outlets are saying the exact same thing.

You are certainly free to take it any way you choose. Doesn't automatically make it so, though.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

People can use their eyes - the articles say exactly what I'm saying. But people want to believe what they want, I guess. This is what the "debate" sounded like on my end:

Here are some sources.

Here are some other sources, straight from the people who study this for world leaders.

Your word choice is off!

Woo.

Which I take to mean, they know they've lost the argument and are expressing their displeasure at it. Because you can't say it's false when so many leading health organizations and news outlets are saying the exact same thing.

Geez....you want some cheese to go with all of that whine?

Thank you. :)

What was that Socrates said about debates and insults?

So you're going to claim slander, now? That's a wee bit over the top, I think.

And slander is verbal, anyway.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Insects are the answer.

I don't know if they are the answer but they will definitely be a part of our diet. They already are in some countries. Water is the resource we ought to be concerned about. This resource is priceless and vital to our food supplies.

If we can use CRISPR to create glutinous cockroaches we'll have it all solved.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Here are some sources.

Your word choice is off!

Woo.

Kind of like the responses to simple facts, easily checkable and backed up by the National Institutes of Health, the WHO organization, many doctors and so many, many (many) news sources.

Have a nice evening. :)

LOL
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

Here are some sources.

Your word choice is off!

Woo.

Kind of like the responses to simple facts, easily checkable and backed up by the National Institutes of Health, the WHO organization, many doctors and so many, many (many) news sources.

Have a nice evening. :)

LOL

Woo. :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Goodness gracious.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/socrates-debate-lost-slander-loser/

I agree that obesity is an emerging issue in Africa, probably tagging along with prosperity and food security.

Check the etymology of quotes. All kinds of words are put in Einstein’s mouth as he is nearly universally believable. It makes sense that Socrates is misquoted too.

Snopes is good.

https://www.etymonline.com

If I see a claim in Wikipedia I also check the quoted sources.

Google scholar is good.