Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Supply & Human Future

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    This is turning into a good old Sean Spicer press conference

People can use their eyes - the articles say exactly what I'm saying. But people want to believe what they want, I guess. This is what the "debate" sounded like on my end:

That's not a fact, you have no sources!

Here are some sources.

Those are from RICH countries!

Here's some sources about the poorer countries.

I don't like your sources!

Here are some other sources.

You conflated the numbers!

I quoted numbers that were stated from these sources.

I don't like those sources either, because politics!

Here's the story from a source from the opposite political spectrum.

I don't like those sources either!

Here are some other sources, straight from the people who study this for world leaders.

Your word choice is off!

I just quoted the words used by the sources.

Woo.

Which I take to mean, they know they've lost the argument and are expressing their displeasure at it. Because you can't say it's false when so many leading health organizations and news outlets are saying the exact same thing.

Geez....you want some cheese to go with all of that whine?

Thank you. :)

What was that Socrates said about debates and insults?

dont-believe-everything-you-read-on-the-internet-abraham-lincoln-3068550
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    All kinds of words are put in Einstein’s mouth as he is nearly universally believable.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

People can use their eyes - the articles say exactly what I'm saying. But people want to believe what they want, I guess. This is what the "debate" sounded like on my end:

Here are some sources.

Here are some other sources, straight from the people who study this for world leaders.

Your word choice is off!

Woo.

Which I take to mean, they know they've lost the argument and are expressing their displeasure at it. Because you can't say it's false when so many leading health organizations and news outlets are saying the exact same thing.

I dont know...did he say that if you are trying to convince an audience of your point of view and they expressed skepticism of your claims that the best thing to do was not to ask them why they were skeptical and then respectfully respond to their concerns by tailoring your communicative style and points to address their points...no, the best thing to do to convince the audience was to baulk at the criticism and blame the audience for simply not understanding how clearly right you are despite your flawless evidence and perfect delivery?

Is that what he said?

Aaron, are you lecturing me about respect when you were the one to ask me if I wanted cheese with the whining?

Sounds like thee ought to take thine own advice, sir.

I dont know...I'm pretty sure I am taking into account the audience in the way I phrase my response.

Your intent appears to be convincing the audience of your point of view....my intent was to give the audience a bit of a chuckle and cathartic release. Not sure I am the one failing my goals here.

Don't assume on my intent.

You're pretty.

Awww I'm pretty? Thank you!
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

Here are some sources.

Your word choice is off!

Woo.

I dont know...did he say that if you are trying to convince an audience of your point of view and they expressed skepticism of your claims that the best thing to do was not to ask them why they were skeptical and then respectfully respond to their concerns by tailoring your communicative style and points to address their points...no, the best thing to do to convince the audience was to baulk at the criticism and blame the audience for simply not understanding how clearly right you are despite your flawless evidence and perfect delivery?

Is that what he said?

Aaron, are you lecturing me about respect when you were the one to ask me if I wanted cheese with the whining?

I dont know...I'm pretty sure I am taking into account the audience in the way I phrase my response.

Your intent appears to be convincing the audience of your point of view....my intent was to give the audience a bit of a chuckle and cathartic release. Not sure I am the one failing my goals here.

You're pretty.

I think he's rather handsome, myself.

Oh, wait, sorry. Thought I was in ChitChat for a sec...

I said it first. He's mine. Beat it toots.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Here are some sources.

Your word choice is off!

Woo.

Is that what he said?

You're pretty.

Awww I'm pretty? Thank you!

Woo.

You mean that in the woo-hoo sense, yes?
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    You mean that in the woo-hoo sense, yes?
    You are certainly free to take it any way you choose. Doesn't automatically make it so, though.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Animals are a renewable food source. They reproduce. They also provide renewable food sources on their own, such as chickens/eggs.

I don't see any moral superiority or documented health improvements from a vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what somebody chooses, but "morality" in this sense is a subjective individual decision. Any diet is as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as somebody chooses to make it.

LOL. Animals eat plants, though. Don't you have to feed the animals before you can eat them? It takes a lot of plants to convert energy into animals. You could cut out the middle-man (animals) and just eat the plants yourself for better efficiency. (I'm not a vegetarian, I'm just sayin...in this hypothetical future, if there aren't enough plants to feed the people, why would there be enough plants to feed the animals to feed the people?) :|
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...Animals are a renewable food source. They reproduce. They also provide renewable food sources on their own, such as chickens/eggs.

I don't see any moral superiority or documented health improvements from a vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what somebody chooses, but "morality" in this sense is a subjective individual decision. Any diet is as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as somebody chooses to make it.

LOL. Animals eat plants, though. Don't you have to feed the animals before you can eat them? It takes a lot of plants to convert energy into animals. You could cut out the middle-man (animals) and just eat the plants yourself for better efficiency. (I'm not a vegetarian, I'm just sayin...in this hypothetical future, if there aren't enough plants to feed the people, why would there be enough plants to feed the animals to feed the people?) :|

I'll have a McKelp Burger, please.

...... but yeah, the logical alternative is to eat lower on the food chain, right?

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Don't free-range chickens eat grass, bugs and worms? They can have it. All of it. B)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Insects are the answer.

I don't know if they are the answer but they will definitely be a part of our diet. They already are in some countries. Water is the resource we ought to be concerned about. This resource is priceless and vital to our food supplies.

If we run outta water.... I'm not worried; I'll just drink Lemonade.

No Gatorade, it's full of electrolytes!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I'm dead, cause I'm not eating bugs :#:D
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm dead, cause I'm not eating bugs :#:D

Do you like shrimp? Or lobster? Crab? :D