Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Supply & Human Future

Options
12346»

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I'm dead, cause I'm not eating bugs :#:D

Do you like shrimp? Or lobster? Crab? :D

Lol.. yep.. but I meant bugs like crickets, ants, etc

I saw a can of chocolate coated ants once *shudder* :p
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I hear crabs are the devil.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I heard they're itchy :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Is that why so many people are trying to avoid them nowadays?
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

I guess..
    They might be tasty though.

7gx8yzx35j78.jpg

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I guess..
    They might be tasty though.

7gx8yzx35j78.jpg

Why is he smiling? Ouch
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I can tell by your statement that you have never been to Oaxaca and had Chapulines (grasshoppers cooked on a comal with chile seasonings). Chapuline tacos are to die for!! And a great source of lean protein to boot.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Insects are the answer.

I don't know if they are the answer but they will definitely be a part of our diet. They already are in some countries. Water is the resource we ought to be concerned about. This resource is priceless and vital to our food supplies.

If we run outta water.... I'm not worried; I'll just drink Lemonade.

No Gatorade, it's full of electrolytes!

No, Brawndo jja7uu488igu.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Animals are a renewable food source. They reproduce. They also provide renewable food sources on their own, such as chickens/eggs.

I don't see any moral superiority or documented health improvements from a vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what somebody chooses, but "morality" in this sense is a subjective individual decision. Any diet is as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as somebody chooses to make it.

LOL. Animals eat plants, though. Don't you have to feed the animals before you can eat them? It takes a lot of plants to convert energy into animals. You could cut out the middle-man (animals) and just eat the plants yourself for better efficiency. (I'm not a vegetarian, I'm just sayin...in this hypothetical future, if there aren't enough plants to feed the people, why would there be enough plants to feed the animals to feed the people?) :|

Don't free-range chickens eat grass, bugs and worms? They can have it. All of it. B)

Even free range chickens' diets are generally supplemented with chicken feed, at least those that are raised for egg production. Without supplementation, egg production declines. You also get scrawnier chickens. Takes quite a bit of "range," depending on the local environment, for chickens to forage on wild vegetation and bugs alone. Chickens can be totally free range, though. They just need plenty of space if they are competing with other chickens. It would take several tens of billions of chickens to support the diets of 10+ billion meat-loving humans. Free ranging that many would be...a challenge? Rats might be a better choice, but you'd still need to feed them.

(The typical hen needs about 4 pounds of chicken feed to produce 12 eggs. Wild fowl don't produce as many as domesticated because nature isn't that easy. ;) )

I just thought: can you imagine the population explosion if every family was like the Duggars and every couple produced dozens of offspring? Yikes! It wouldn't take long before we were *kittens to elbows up in here! Imagine feeding that! :o
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Animals are a renewable food source. They reproduce. They also provide renewable food sources on their own, such as chickens/eggs.

I don't see any moral superiority or documented health improvements from a vegan/vegetarian diet. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what somebody chooses, but "morality" in this sense is a subjective individual decision. Any diet is as "healthy" or "unhealthy" as somebody chooses to make it.

LOL. Animals eat plants, though. Don't you have to feed the animals before you can eat them? It takes a lot of plants to convert energy into animals. You could cut out the middle-man (animals) and just eat the plants yourself for better efficiency. (I'm not a vegetarian, I'm just sayin...in this hypothetical future, if there aren't enough plants to feed the people, why would there be enough plants to feed the animals to feed the people?) :|

Don't free-range chickens eat grass, bugs and worms? They can have it. All of it. B)

Yes, but it requires much more land to free-range a chicken than it does to grow soy and corn to feed it while you restrict its movement to a space barely larger than it's own body, because each square foot of pastureland contains far fewer usable calories for the chicken than a square foot of land growing feed crops. Chickens, cattle, goats, and pigs raised free range are great for times and places when the land, topography, and rainfall isn't conducive to intensive farming, or during pre-industrial periods if labor isn't available for intensive farming of available land, or in cultures that haven't developed the growing of crops.
  • slimgirljo15
    edited September 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I can tell by your statement that you have never been to Oaxaca and had Chapulines (grasshoppers cooked on a comal with chile seasonings). Chapuline tacos are to die for!! And a great source of lean protein to boot.

Uhh sounds delicious, but I'll pass :D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I've had roasted crickets with lime and salt. Not bad, but somehow didn't make the cut as part of my everyday diet.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have had escargot. Not bad either.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I have had escargot. Not bad either.

I actually like escargot, and I'm the world's pickiest eater. Seriously, there's all kinds of things I wont eat because of texture or taste, or even smell, or because I know what it's made from even if I like the taste, but I'll eat snails.

Sometimes my life doesnt make any sense.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    As far as population goes, I think the tipping point for natural correction will be unstoppable pandemics when the density becomes too great to isolate healthy people from sick.

If you include all sources of nourishment and advances in food production technology, we can provide basic nutrition for whatever number the population grows to before it implodes from sheer numbers.