How many calories for breakfast?

1235»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ok so this morning I had about 500 cals for breakfast and was still starving and had to have a snack at 11am. Now I just have fewer calories I can have in the evening, sadness. I think I'm going to go back to 200 cals for breakfast and save up for the afternoon/evening.

Or, you could chose a less aggressive rate of loss that would allow you to have more calories. Unless you are very very short and practically bedridden, 1200 calories is lower than you need to go.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Thanks for the link! So what do you think is a good calorie limit for a 5'7" female?

I've been sticking to about 1400 on average and haven't really lost much but water weight.

I would say for your stats (which are similar to mine) 1400 is close to your BMR. Now unless you are sedentary or don't exercise at all, it should be more in order to lose. If I ate that I would lose 2lbs per week or more. How are you tracking your intake?

I'm using MFP to track my calories. Usually just scan the item. I haven't gotten to the point of weighing food yet. And if I'm not sure on the calories I round up.

Weighing food makes a huge difference, most likely you are eating more than you think. Especially with the last 10lbs if you aren't seeing the results you want, weighing food is a highly recommended next step.
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ok so this morning I had about 500 cals for breakfast and was still starving and had to have a snack at 11am. Now I just have fewer calories I can have in the evening, sadness. I think I'm going to go back to 200 cals for breakfast and save up for the afternoon/evening.

Or, you could chose a less aggressive rate of loss that would allow you to have more calories. Unless you are very very short and practically bedridden, 1200 calories is lower than you need to go.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Thanks for the link! So what do you think is a good calorie limit for a 5'7" female?

I've been sticking to about 1400 on average and haven't really lost much but water weight.

I would say for your stats (which are similar to mine) 1400 is close to your BMR. Now unless you are sedentary or don't exercise at all, it should be more in order to lose. If I ate that I would lose 2lbs per week or more. How are you tracking your intake?

I'm using MFP to track my calories. Usually just scan the item. I haven't gotten to the point of weighing food yet. And if I'm not sure on the calories I round up.

Weighing food makes a huge difference, most likely you are eating more than you think. Especially with the last 10lbs if you aren't seeing the results you want, weighing food is a highly recommended next step.

I've been trying to avoid that bc in the past I've gotten into ED territory. May consider though, thanks!
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    OP do you drink coffee? I often wake up hungry but once I start drinking my coffee I fill up and am good until lunch.
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    OP do you drink coffee? I often wake up hungry but once I start drinking my coffee I fill up and am good until lunch.

Yes, some. But mostly tea. Tea usually helps fill me up.
  • Kereru44
    Kereru44 Posts: 28 Member
    I stick to 800 - 900 calories during the day everyday then eat the rest at dinner time. It's worked for me for years.

How much all up?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Coffee and a protien shake, everyday. Less than 200 hundred calories. I've never been a big breakfast person. Dinner on the other hand; 1000 calories easy!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    At least 700 calories but I'm trying to gain weight and find it hard to get enough calories unless I have at least that at breakfast
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    I usually have a sausage patty and glass of almond milk for breakfast; sometimes switch it up and add a slice of bacon or a bowl of cornflakes. Breakfast is usually between 200-300 cals before I go to work in the morning.

I also have a morning snack, usually yogurt and a banana, between 9:30-11 am. This is usually between 200-300 cals as well. Sometimes if I'm still hungry I'll have a granola bar or handful of almonds that I keep at my desk. This will add another 100-150 cals--those are unplanned and I try to exercise them off later.

I'm usually hungry when I get up, I would be really cranky if I skipped breakfast! I've found that the days I have sufficient protein early in the day are also the days that I am less likely to go overboard on calories later in the day. So that's my strategy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    Mine are different every day.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Some days I just drink tea with honey so my calories are 30. An average breakfast for me is 400-600 calories when I do eat it. It will keep me full until dinner usually.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    I have a coffee and a bowl of muesli with coconut milk for breakfast during the week (just under 300 cal.), but at the weekend I woke up later, so usually I just have a coffee, but I'll have a snack at night, such a small bag of crisps.