Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL after Chamillionaire won a Grammy for “Ridin’”, he approached ‘Weird Al’ Yancovic on the red carpet, thanked him for the “White and Nerdy” parody and told him “I think your parody is a big reason why I won this Grammy, because you made it undeniable that my song was the rap song of the year."

*Side note: ‘Weird Al’ Yancovic got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame yesterday.

https://www.npr.org/2014/07/12/329873481/weird-al-yankovic-on-parody-in-the-age-of-youtube

• iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    TIL about the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (VHEMT) which is an environmental movement that calls for all people to abstain from reproduction to cause the gradual voluntary extinction of humankind. VHEMT supports human extinction primarily because, in the group's view, it would prevent environmental degradation. The group states that a decrease in the human population would prevent a significant amount of human-caused suffering.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    TIL about the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (VHEMT) which is an environmental movement that calls for all people to abstain from reproduction to cause the gradual voluntary extinction of humankind. VHEMT supports human extinction primarily because, in the group's view, it would prevent environmental degradation. The group states that a decrease in the human population would prevent a significant amount of human-caused suffering.

So that would work for one generation?
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The *kitten* song "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell is a remake. The original was made in 1964 by Gloria Jones and its so much better.
  • iMago
    Options

Tbh this sounds like something Thanos made up to trick us

it's slower than the snap but it's still a good idea tbh
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL that in 2015, two men sold a fake Goya painting for €1.5 Million, only to find out all the money paid was counterfeit.
  • iMago
    Options
    TIL about Project Acoustic Kitty, a CIA project in the 1960s intended to use cats to spy on the Kremlin and Soviet embassies.

A veterinary surgeon would implant a microphone in the cat's ear canal, a small radio transmitter at the base of its skull and a thin wire into its fur. This would allow the cat to innocuously record and transmit sound from its surroundings. Due to problems with distraction, the cat's sense of hunger had to be addressed in another operation.

Victor Marchetti, a former CIA officer, said Project Acoustic Kitty cost about $20 million.

The first Acoustic Kitty mission was to eavesdrop on two men in a park outside the Soviet compound on Wisconsin Avenue in Washington, D.C.

The cat was released nearby, but was hit and allegedly killed by a taxi almost immediately.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    This .. then I taped it to the wall. 😎1o4birrne5ks.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that Japan aims to power the Tokyo Olympics with 100% renewable energy. They plan to use wind & solar energy to power the stadiums & athletes village. They also want to recycle the small amounts of gold, silver & copper from around 80,000 old phones by using the metals to create 5,000 medals.
  • iMago
    Options
    TIL about the Dancing Plague of 1518- a case of dancing mania that occurred in Strasbourg, Alsace, in the Holy Roman Empire in July 1518. Around 400 people took to dancing for days without rest and, over the period of about one month, some of those affected collapsed or even died of heart attack, stroke, or exhaustion.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that in ancient Rome, commoners would evacuate entire cities in acts of revolt called "Secessions of the Plebeians", leaving the elite in the cities to fend for themselves.
  • sniper300_Rum
    sniper300_Rum Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I can walk around outside naked and nobody cares lol
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    TIL that I still do not like broccolini.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The Eiffel Tower's painted with 3 shades of the same color, to make it look taller!
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL the children's cartoon Arthur is still producing new episodes and is on its 21st season, and has been running longer than South Park.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that the phrase "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!" Was never said throughout the entire original run of Scooby Doo. Also, the phrase "Meddling kids" was only used 3 times.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Researchers have determined that bats address each other as individuals and frequently get into arguments.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL an IT Director, fed up with sales calls where the caller lied to reach IT staff, said to transfer one such caller 'straight to hell' . This led to the creation of a special extension for such calls where horrible hold music and faked queue messages play on an endless loop to increase hold time.