Today I Learned...

Replies

• TIL that I'm a silly city girl :)
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    TIL that I'm a silly city girl :)

Better'n a pig farmer.

Not that there's anything wrong with pig farmers.
  • SwannySez wrote: »

Better'n a pig farmer.

I thot it was chickens?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    SwannySez wrote: »

Better'n a pig farmer.

I thot it was chickens?

*shrug*

They're both white meat.
  • SwannySez wrote: »
    SwannySez wrote: »

Better'n a pig farmer.

I thot it was chickens?

*shrug*

They're both white meat.

Also, chickens don't have teeth... makes more sense now
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    TIL that the second officer of the Titanic stayed on board till the end and was trapped underwater until a boiler explosion set him free. Later, he volunteered in WWII and helped evacuate over 120 men from Dunkirk.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL that the second officer of the Titanic stayed on board till the end and was trapped underwater until a boiler explosion set him free. Later, he volunteered in WWII and helped evacuate over 120 men from Dunkirk.

And yet the govt is supporting solar power. Madness.
  • cee134
    TIL during a dinner party at Windsor castle, the Queen danced to ABBA's Dancing Queen, much to the amusement of guest. She reportedly said, "I always try to dance when this song comes on, because I am the Queen, and I like to dance.”
  • cee134
    TIL That in 1978 a radio station accidentally played "Imaginary Lover" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section at the wrong RPM, causing it to sound just like Stevie Nicks. Stevie Nicks eventually heard about it, and played the record at the increased speed for bandmates, who all believed it was her singing.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Yesterday I got to broaden my horizons a bit. Was at a Google educator summit and we were talking about students and digital literacy. I have spoke and written on this, and to my surprise a colleague brought up the concept of digital literacy vs. the more important digital fluency. One of those 'ah-ha' moments, like...how did I not think in those terms even though I use a similar paradigm model to explain other things. So an interesting revelation for me, and interesting how knowledge transfer was limited in this regard.

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    Yesterday I got to broaden my horizons a bit. Was at a Google educator summit and we were talking about students and digital literacy. I have spoke and written on this, and to my surprise a colleague brought up the concept of digital literacy vs. the more important digital fluency. One of those 'ah-ha' moments, like...how did I not think in those terms even though I use a similar paradigm model to explain other things. So an interesting revelation for me, and interesting how knowledge transfer was limited in this regard.

What do you mean by digital fluency?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I think it means he found a more efficient way to scroll one handed.
  • ChaelAZ

Quick explanation:
    Digital Literacy is the ability to use technology and understand the mechanics of that use.
    Digital Fluency is the the ability to be useful, safe, and appropriate with technology.

Difference between using something, and making some be useful to accomplish things.

Longer story:
    In most cases I always presented digital literacy as the ability to understand and use mediums and devices (technology) in the digital domain. So yesterday we were discussing generation Z, who I was talking about ways to improve their digital literacy, but a colleague started differentiating digital literacy and fluency in that kids today at almost all grade levels have an innate ability to use digital tools (digital literacy). What they really lack is the knowledge on how to properly use them to demonstrate or convey meaning, learning, or such (digital fluency).

So literacy is the knowledge of what to click, how to use the camera on a phone, understanding the use of copy/paste and such across many software and apps, but fluency is being able to take using the digital tools to make a proper presentation, complete a process, complete an assignment, etc.. It is the movement from lower level Bloom's Hierarchy of understanding, to higher order thinking for synthesis and analysis and knowledge transfer.

It was something I was teaching, but wasn't properly differentiating it. interestingly I went back and started looking for when someone came up with those distinct terms and it actually dates back to circa 2000! So all the studying and stuff I have done and not ONCE did I ever find this explanation, which is what really was tripping me out.

Even more interesting to me was, I use the same concept when I talk about how out IT department is different from my Center for Teaching and Learning. I always explain that IT is infrastructure and hardware. They are interested in users being able to USE technology. IN my department we look at the value of technologies and are only interested in them if they are USEFUL.

That make sense?

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member

Quick explanation:
    Digital Literacy is the ability to use technology and understand the mechanics of that use.
    Digital Fluency is the the ability to be useful, safe, and appropriate with technology.

Difference between using something, and making some be useful to accomplish things.

Longer story:
    In most cases I always presented digital literacy as the ability to understand and use mediums and devices (technology) in the digital domain. So yesterday we were discussing generation Z, who I was talking about ways to improve their digital literacy, but a colleague started differentiating digital literacy and fluency in that kids today at almost all grade levels have an innate ability to use digital tools (digital literacy). What they really lack is the knowledge on how to properly use them to demonstrate or convey meaning, learning, or such (digital fluency).

So literacy is the knowledge of what to click, how to use the camera on a phone, understanding the use of copy/paste and such across many software and apps, but fluency is being able to take using the digital tools to make a proper presentation, complete a process, complete an assignment, etc.. It is the movement from lower level Bloom's Hierarchy of understanding, to higher order thinking for synthesis and analysis and knowledge transfer.

It was something I was teaching, but wasn't properly differentiating it. interestingly I went back and started looking for when someone came up with those distinct terms and it actually dates back to circa 2000! So all the studying and stuff I have done and not ONCE did I ever find this explanation, which is what really was tripping me out.

Even more interesting to me was, I use the same concept when I talk about how out IT department is different from my Center for Teaching and Learning. I always explain that IT is infrastructure and hardware. They are interested in users being able to USE technology. IN my department we look at the value of technologies and are only interested in them if they are USEFUL.

That make sense?

Yes, thanks for explaining :)
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    TIL that Napoleon Bonaparte was 5'7" and actually quite tall for his day. His famous petite stature was actually British propaganda which managed to fake-news its way through history.
  • cee134
    TIL Back in the 1980's people were able to download Video Games from a radio broadcast by recording the sounds onto a cassette tape that they could then play on their computers.
  • ChaelAZ
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL Back in the 1980's people were able to download Video Games from a radio broadcast by recording the sounds onto a cassette tape that they could then play on their computers.

Yup. I remember those days, and that was how I used to record the programs I wrote on my Ti-99!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Snapple fact #1378

The brain is the only organ in the human body without pain receptors.

Well fms.
  • ChaelAZ
    I can use a button set function in Storyline to control button states instead of having to create variables to do it and set triggers for each layer.
  • cee134
    TIL Phyllis from "The Office" would pay bills and do Christmas shopping online from the office computers in the background.