Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    I was reminded that <iframe> srcs for embedded html pages requires SSL. ONE FRICKEN 's' took me 10 minutes to figure out. lol
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

Close. Count Chocula.

I remember this commercial.

tumblr_oex6ohmEjO1vbyg2go3_500.gif

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL That when Crystal Pepsi was released, Coca-Cola released a competitor called Tab Clear, however Tab Clear was intentionally marketed poorly in order to hurt Crystal Pepsi's image by product association. The "born to die" strategy was successful and both campaigns were dead 6 months later.

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    That no matter how many times someone complains they're putting on weight, to never suggest it's the multiple antidepressants they're on. Better yet, to never comment at all.
  • Bohemianfit89
    Bohemianfit89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    TIL how much a of a difference a genuine smile can make.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that the “ah-choo” sound people make when sneezing is a cultural learned behavior. For example, in the Phillipines they instead say “ha-ching”, the Japanese say “hakashun”, and deaf people don’t add any sounds at all.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL I learned of Grandma Gatewood who hiked the 2,200 mile Appalachian trail at 55 bringing only Converse shoes, an army blanket, a raincoat, and a plastic shower curtain after reading about it in a magazine and telling her children she was going for a walk. She hiked it again at 72 and 75.

• mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL that the “ah-choo” sound people make when sneezing is a cultural learned behavior. For example, in the Phillipines they instead say “ha-ching”, the Japanese say “hakashun”, and deaf people don’t add any sounds at all.

Haha this is funny and interesting.
  • SpartanRunner1978
    SpartanRunner1978 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    TIL (actually it was yesterday) that MFP woos (basically saying screw you) are different than that of the google definition of wooing (trying to gain the love of or to seek the favor of). My apologies if I pissed anyone off for wooing a selfie...oops!
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL (actually it was yesterday) that MFP woos (basically saying screw you) are different than that of the google definition of wooing (trying to gain the love of or to seek the favor of). My apologies if I pissed anyone off for wooing a selfie...oops!

In our community Woo means that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

It's slang from health fitness. Even though most people haven't heard it or use it that way. I still don't understand the point of it.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Donnie Yen (the blind monk in Star Wars: Rogue One/star of the Ip Man films) was once leaving a Hong Kong nightclub with his girlfriend when they were attacked by a gang who had been bothering them earlier in the night. Donnie hospitalised 8 of them.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL the creators of "Parks and Recreation" did research for the show by interviewing actual government officials. One said, "Well, I’m a libertarian, so I don’t really believe in the mission of my job. Yes, I’m aware of the irony." The character of Ron Swanson was born.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Douglas Adams came up with the title for The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy while lying drunk in a field near Innsbruck with a copy of The Hitch-Hikers Guide to Europe. Looking up at the stars, he thought it would be a good idea for someone to write a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy as well.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    TIL A Brazilian woman, born without a vagina, has become the first in the world to undergo pioneering reconstructive surgery that successfully created a new vaginal canal using the skin of tilapia fish.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    TIL A Brazilian woman, born without a vagina, has become the first in the world to undergo pioneering reconstructive surgery that successfully created a new vaginal canal using the skin of tilapia fish.

we4i3p1ugzwt.jpeg
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

Kinda awesome and kinda repulsive.

Fish!? :s

Right? Soooooo many jokes to be made
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that I don't *have to* eat the entire protein cookie (calories were the issue). It's okay to eat only half of something for a treat.