Do people ever criticize the way you choose to eat?

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2018
    People IRL do not but virtually through myfitnesspal - I have encountered some scrutiny, which I've not minded in the least. There was a time when I was massive still, mindful of my per serving allotments, when the local community via the private club, did scrutinise what I chose to put on my plate, at our weekly luncheons and/or dinners, which members of myfitnesspal considered too low.

Around me, usually at dinner socials, I've deduced that for some, to slight others in social settings is their comforting-spiel, as entitled diet & nutrition expert gurus, focused on their usual soft targets. My sister however, never lets them slide. She gets all up in there lol
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    I've never like gravies/sauces or mayo/ketchup/dressings (all those things most people pour over their otherwise delicious food).
    So my whole life people have been telling me that I have weird eating habits...they still focus on this and tell me it's weird.
    I LIKE boiled potatoes..and salad that tastes like salad
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Not really no... although hubby will still laugh or comment when I cut the teeniest slice of cake for myself.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Yep.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Friendly comments, not criticism, essentially suggesting that I can't possibly enjoy eating what I do.
  • magpie0829
    magpie0829 Posts: 23 Member
    Regarding the type of food I am eating? No. Pretty sure my RBF keeps people at bay.

But I have gotten comments on how long I heat my food up for. Had this one coworker who would walk by when I was heating up my lunch..."Wow, you are still heating your food up?!" I had leftover spaghetti and was heating it up in the microwave for 2 minutes :|
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    IRL - no.

Well, only in jest.

Like come on that's not very healthy, you know, if I eat piece of cake - but just in friendly camaraderie, not in real criticism
    And not directed at me personally, just a general small talk jokey comment.
    Sometimes I wonder if some people take those sort of comments too seriously.

But on MFP - sadly, yes. By diary stalkers.
    In threads where I have not asked for input or claimed anything about my own intake
    I could understand if, for example, I made big fuss about how important clean eating was and then people noticed I ate chocolate most days.
    But happens in threads about general issues when somebody disagrees with me.

" vaccines cause autism"

Me- "no they don't, that has been thoroughly debunked and...fact fact fact"

" you eat chocolate every day, See what I mean about people not knowing anything!!!! " *

* made up example so as not to identify individuals - but only barely exaggerated from real scenarios.
    Interesting how somebody just jumped in to woo my post - given my post was not claiming to be any more than an anecdote of my personal experience.

Perhaps it was one of said diary stalkers :D

It's funny because I know I read a thread recently where this literally happened to you (name is very distinctive). So not a cause to woo.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited September 2018
    VUA21 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    you're trying to lose weight and you're going to eat that?

yes, i ran 13 miles for fun today. i will demolish the vending machine bag of chips. and many other things

Yep,
    Them: "How are supposed to lose weight eating that?"
    Me: "I make room in my calorie budget"
    Them: "Ohh, that works?!?!? How did you do that?"
    Me: "I ran 5 miles this morning, and I'm going to my hard workout this evening"
    Them: "Oh" with a look of defeat

That's always my favorite.

Them: "You eat a lot for someone with an eating disorder."
    Me: "I run 20 miles a week. I eat less than 1300 calories a day."
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Only on MFP really. I've closed my diary as a result, like others have mentioned. Sometimes people comment when they see me eating "junk food" but it's usually surprise rather than condemnation. We have cake at work once a month but I only have some once or twice a year or if the doughnuts are going around and it's one of the rare occasions I take one, that sort of thing. I also rock a mean RBF so don't get hassled about much of anything LOL