Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Science vs. Scruples

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Not every offender should be locked in their basement for the rest of their lives because they are an inherent threat to society.

So we should let anyone that is an inherent threat to society run free to cause any harm they choose? I agree not every offender should be locked away. However, those who are an inherent threat and continue to cause harm repeatedly with no remorse for their actions should be.

I don't disagree. My point was simply that not all offenders should be treated exactly the same - not every one IS an inherent threat.

Maybe this is the piece missing from my original post - I'm not saying where A.A. does or should fall in the range of offenders (i.e. an apology and some remorse is good enough up through locked away forever). I don't know enough about the details to make that judgement.
  • jjpptt2
    edited September 2018
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    If I bring my company into disrepute by my actions I lose my job. That could be as small as posting the wrong thing on social media.

What if those same actions have no impact on the company or their reputation? Will you still lose your job? Should you?

The point I was making is that people do, and sometimes should, lose their jobs and income for much much smaller things than repeated sexual assault.

I don't disagree.

I'll back out of this thread for a bit... I'm not sure if I'm not expressing myself well, not reading well, or if my perspective is just that far out line.

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I can separate facts from opinion so it doesn't change the way I look at the information he provides.

Do I agree with his alleged actions in his personal life? No way, not a chance.

It doesn't make his information / research less credible in any way though. Facts are facts. I might not agree with the way he lives his personal life but I absolutely agree with his work.

I don't idolize celebrities or gurus . I Don't go around trying to follow their personal lives . I always looked at him as a source of information about a topic I am interested in and nothing more.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

No, hate speech is not a crime, nor should it be a crime.

That depends where in the world you are. In the UK (where I am) it is a criminal offense.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If I bring my company into disrepute by my actions I lose my job. That could be as small as posting the wrong thing on social media.

What if those same actions have no impact on the company or their reputation? Will you still lose your job? Should you?

How would I be bringing the company into disrepute if the company is unaffected???

The point I was making is that people do, and sometimes should, lose their jobs and income for much much smaller things than repeated sexual assault.

But to go with that point anyway, if I do not make it known anywhere that I work for my company and someone spots me writing anti-semetic or racists screeds all over the internet then yeah, I think it's okay for me to be fired for that. Because that's hate speech, which is a crime, like sexual assault.

No, hate speech is not a crime, nor should it be a crime.

As to the original question, the knowledge that has been shown by Aragon is not tainted so the knowledge still stands. The man on the other hand...

?

It's a crime where I live.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Moreover, he was a Nazi, making me the first to mention Nazis on this thread; and thus, in accordance with the corollary to Godwin's law, causing me to have forfeited the debate. :|

No worries :smile: Aaron mentioned Hitler in the first reply. Was inevitable for this topic I think.
    Crikey! I missed that in my hurry to be a gracious correctee.

I hereby de-forfeitize.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If people use their job or platform to victimize others then we have to make sure that the opportunity to do that is removed. So they need to lose their job or whatever platform they used to access victims. It is easier for someone like a coach or teacher, they can be suspended or banned from the profession. If someone depends more on their celebrity or status then it is a little more difficult. So it is up to the industry and consumers to make sure that person never regains that kind of status again. So yeah - not supporting his endeavors would be part of that. (I have no idea who this guy is so just a general statement.)
  • jjpptt2
    Options

In the US it is not... simply because there is no universal definition that includes all groups and does not promote one group over another. To date, the Supreme Court has struck down all attempts at such a definition.

Okay??? Pick another thing that is an American Crime to fit my example then if you can't work your mind around it.

Would drunk driving be a good example? If you are convicted of drunk driving, should you lose your job?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options

In the US it is not... simply because there is no universal definition that includes all groups and does not promote one group over another. To date, the Supreme Court has struck down all attempts at such a definition.

Okay??? Pick another thing that is an American Crime to fit my example then if you can't work your mind around it.

Don't have a problem wrapping my mind around the idea, I'm just curious where you draw the line on the stand of 'commit a crime, lose your job' ? Ridiculous example, but if I am out on a weekend on my own personal time and get a ticket for speeding (which is a crime), should I then lose my job?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Would drunk driving be a good example? If you are convicted of drunk driving, should you lose your job?
    Don't have a problem wrapping my mind around the idea, I'm just curious where you draw the line on the stand of 'commit a crime, lose your job' ? Ridiculous example, but if I am out on a weekend on my own personal time and get a ticket for speeding (which is a crime), should I then lose my job?

I picked hate speech because its a crime where there is still a victim (or a group of victims) and the behaviour is disgusting. I don't know if you're intending to try and downplay the seriousness of sexual assault by comparing it to speeding instead but you're at risk of sounding like you are.

If you drink drive or speed and hit someone, a lot of companies would have no problem firing you tho.

Do not put words in my mouth - I made no comparison to the sexual assault, I was trying to discover the bounds on your assertion of committing a crime should be grounds for losing your job. I think you covered that very nicely with your reply - victim-less crimes do not qualify but crimes where there are victims do.